New Visitor
jesse3040

Modem on Second floor

Im trying to relocate my modem to the second floor of my house.

However, whenver I connect it to the cable jacks upstairs only the Power, Ds, and Us lights light up and I have no connection the the internet. I took the the customer support rep and he said that their must be a alrge amount of splitters throughout my house and thus the signal is not strong enough to activate it when its on the second floor ( its currently in the basement) . I want to know if anyone knows a way around thisw that would enable me to connect it on the second floor. Thanks =)

Networking Expert
Weil

Re: Modem on Second floor

Where-ever the cable enters the house at the first splitter, replace said splitter with a combined two-way amplifier splitter.  You can buy one at Radio Shack or Home Depot.

sam

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

I would never recommend amplifying a cable modem. And especially not with a consumer grade piece of garbage from Radio Shack...

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

EG wrote:

I would never recommend amplifying a cable modem. And especially not with a consumer grade piece of garbage from Radio Shack...

But a decent amp like the Motorola Signal Booster works great. Assuming that low level due to splitters is the actual cause of the problem. The only caveat is that you need to be able to supply it power remotely via coax.

Networking Expert
Weil

EG wrote:

Impolite response from a PE:

If it works like mine does, then provide a better solution!

sam

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Dude... Amplifiying a modem is never the correct solution. It is nothing more than a band-aid fix and can amplify a crummy connection and noise actually making things worse. Yours is a individual example and not necessarily everyone else's unique environment. Correcting the real issue is the true solution. Get a clue. OP may need a tech to verify that the connection quality at that outlet is sufficient. If it is not, then the wiring needs to be checked by a pro and corrected if needed. The OP could try to check the signal levels if they can at that outlet with the modem. Some makes and models of modems need to be in block sync mode in order to be able to have access to their user interface pages so the end user may not be able to obtain them. This is why a tech may be needed with a SLM (Signal Level Meter) to see the connection quality at that outlet. Stay in your lane Sam...............