New Visitor
missmao

Modem/wireless router connection problem. Need Help!!

[ Edited ]

I'm stumped :smileysad:

I've been hooked up to my combo of a Comcast cable modem (Arris TM722) and Linksys WRT54g wireless router for the last 1.5 years with no problems. Then last Saturday, my wireless connection started slowing and not displaying webpages and sometimes disconnecting me from my home wireless network completely every 20-30 seconds. Sometimes it automatically re-establishes connection and sometimes not. It's now a week later and I can't figure out what's going on. Here's what I've tried and checked.

1) When the wireless connection slows or goes out completely, all the lights on both my cable modem and wireless router are normal. Everything is "green" No changes.

2) I purchased 2 different wireless routers from Best Buy and installed them. No change. Still having slowness and disconnection issues. It doesn't matter if I'm 1ft or 50ft distance from the wireless router. I'm on a Netgear WNDR3700 at the moment. All 3 routers can't be bad

3) Brought my laptop over to my buddies house who also has Comcast and a Linksys router and was able to hook up to his network with no problems. No slowness and no disconnects. Same thing at my local Starbucks. No problems! My laptop is fine.

4) I can connect my laptop to both the cable modem or my wireless router via an ethernet cable and the internet works fine. The minute I disconnect that cable, boom I have the slowness and disconnection issues.

5) I checked all the other wireless networks around me (I live in a 2500 sq ft house) and I'm not on the same channel as anyone else in my neighborhood.

6) Hooked my cable modem directly to the comcast feed where it enters my house and still have the same problem. My house wiring isn't the issue.

7) There's been no changes or additions at my house of any cordless phone/microwaves or anything else that interfere with the signal. But suddenly after 1.5 years, my wireless network is worthless.

8) My last resort is to go exchange my cable modem at my local Comcast office and hope that solves the problem.

Anyone have any other ideas as to what's going on here?

Thanks!

New Visitor
missmao

Re: Modem/wireless router connection problem. Need Help!!

Forgot to mention, that my stepson has a laptop too and untilizes the wireless connection in the house. He has slowness and connection issues just like me.

Contributor
wified

You've done an excellent job narrowing down the variables and it seems that the issue is with the modem.  I know you've hard hard-wire connection to modem working fine when hooked up to your pc, but I still think it's the modem because I had identical issues - dropped connections, extremely slow connections - took the modem to Comcast and replaced with new (kept the old wifi router which I originally thought was the culprit!) and the connection problem disappeared. 

Networking Expert
Baric

Well, if direct connected is fine and it's only wireless, then I'd say you have a wireless issue.  Have you tried all other wireless channels?  remember that wireless channels overlap, so channel 6 and 7 are sharing part of their range.  you have to get 5 channels away for there to be no overlap.  And the interference could be coming with some wireless device, not another wireless network.  so do try all the other channels.  As a test turn off or remove the batteries on all cordless phones and other wireless devices to rule them out as a problem.  If the problem disappers, one or more of those devices is causing trouble (maybe malfunctioning).

If you ahve all wireless N devices and they support it, switch your router to wireless N only in the 5GHz freqency range.  This type of N connection has a shorter connected range than the 2.4Ghz band, but it gets you out of hte very crowded 2.4Ghz band which may make all the difference.

It might be your modem, but if things work fine when direct connected with ethernet, then that kind of rules that out for the most part.  Have you checked the modem signal levels at the time of a problem to see if there is an problem when things stop working?

New Visitor
Seagriz

I have the same problem. I've bought two wireless routers. Had Comcast come out several times and I still lose the wireless connection and get slow download speeds. I've had comcast replace the modem and that worked for about a month but the issue is back.

There has to be an issue with how these modems communicate with the routers. I'm running an arris tm722 hooked to a net gear n900.

Any ideas?
Contributor
wified

After years (!!!) of dropped connections, my new setup has been working without a glitch.  I've got RCA DHG535-2 modem from Comcast and bought AirPort Extreme router (expensive but worth very penny). 

New Visitor
saleem123

I am having similar issues. I have a RCA modem and Linksys wireless router. I have three laptops in the house. Two seem to work OK, but the one I use, seems to have problem. It keeps getting disconnected. I have to go down to the basement, turn of the router, then the modem and then turn them on (plus PC reboot). Most of the time the problem goes away. If the problem does not go away, I have to call comcast for a reset. I know the problem is not with the laptop. I brought my office laptop and have run into the same problem. I could be the location in the house, modem or the router.

For a while, after the reset, the problem would go away for weeks. Now this is happening very frequently, almost daily. Comcast will not allow me to take off the modem and take it somewhere to for a replacement. They insist on sending a serviceperson to come to the house and if he/she feels that it is not a problem with the modem, they will charge me $79.

Does anyone think the location in the house could make a difference? Also, why is the problem more frequent now then before?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Networking Expert
Baric

Please provide the information asked for above and try the suggested fixes.  Nowhere do you narrow down the problem to a wireless issue or both wired and wireless.  You don't say what modem or router or what their status' are at the time of the problem.  Both are critical, especially the signal levels as reported by the modem.

Visitor

I upgraded to the xfinity blast package which included up to 20 Mgbt download speed.

(I previously had the economy plan which only had up to 1 Mgbt download speed.)

I picked up a D3 Modem from the office and installed it with a linksys wireless router.

My laptop did okay about 12.5-14.5 download speed.  My desktop would not communicate at all.

I called and they mentioned that I should have received the D3 modem with wireless router.

I made the exchange to the xfinity modem with wireless router.  My laptop download speed went down to 2.3.

My desktop would still not pick up the wireless signal.

I moved the xfinity modem and connected it by ethernet cable to the desktop and got 36Mgbt download speed! Great!!!!  (wireless still would not connect).

My laptop still had 2.3-2.5 download speed through the xfinity wirelss router.

I had a comcast tech come to the house and he said he had the same problem at his house so he piggybacked a linksys wireless router to the xfinity modem and connected only through it.

Since I had a linksys wireless router, we did the same...and we were good to go...18 download speed!!

Now I had previously had been experiencing disconnects...he said it was due to the incoming signal was too high (53).  He indicated that he made some changes to lower it to 49 and that I should be good to go..

I hope this helps someone.  I was told that the xfinity modem was excellent but that the wireless router was not so good.

Regular Visitor

We also having problems. Connection was lost and we checked the modem by hardwiring it to the computer - it worked fine. So, not the modem. After several calls to Comcast and getting guidance from their help desk, we tried re-setting the router - switching it off and pressing the reset button. The computer detected the router [as "linksys" - the default name after the re-set], but could not connect to the internet.

So, the modem was OK, and the router was sending a signal - but there was no connection between the modem and the router.

Reluctantly, because deep down I felt - and still feel - that the router was probably OK, I went out a bought a new router and cable, in case it was either the cable or the connection on the router that were faulty.

After installing the router it worked fine. Great, problem solved. 

Oops, not so fast. After about 48 hours, the same problem started again. The laptop detects the router, but tells you that there's no internet connection. On my Mac, it shows a strong connection - ll the bars - for a few seconds - then the icon of grey bars with an exclamation mark through them pops up, telling me that I'm not connected to the internet. Once I managed to restore the connection by turning Airport off, then turning it back on again - but that fix doesn't work any more.

On a PC laptop, the same problem - so it's not Mac-related.

Strangely, it also sometimes asks for the password again - even though the password has been saved. 

If I call Comcast, they'll tell me - which is correct, as I've tested it - that the modem is OK and that's where their responsibility ends. But surely, if I buy a package from them which is supposed to give me wifi access, they should ensure that I have wifi access? Any one out there got any advice?

New Visitor
DMcClusky

[ Edited ]

I am having the same experience.... Did you buy the Comcast package?

If so does it work well?

New Visitor
Craftym

I am having the same issue.  Just replaced landline with Comcast telephone over internet using Comcast-installed Arris TM722.   

Since install have experienced extremely slow wi-fi and periodic freezes require reboot of modem or router or both.  Replace the router, so not a router issue.  

Will set up a service appointment, but afraid that Comcast may say "not our issue" and charge me the service fee anyway.

MC

Connection Expert
EG

Year old thread closed.