New Visitor
koppekatt
Accepted Solution

Modem with EMTA - Help

I am new to Comcast.  The Arris modem with emta that Comcast provided does not allow me to connect to my work using VPN.  I know Comcast doesn't support this.  For this reason I need to purchase my own modem with emta or telephony.  What are my options?  I've looked at the approved list and have been unable to locate any of the non-Arris models.

Contributor

Re: Modem with EMTA - Help

Are yo usure it is the modem? Do you have a router? I work with a lot of Doctors who work remotely. There were times when the router security needed to be adjusted.

One way to test this is to connect you computer directly to the cable modem (emta). See if it still will not connect. If it doesnt you could do like me.

I had a stand alone cable modem before going with triple package. I am setup with both the emta and my personal cable modem.

Connection Expert
EG

What is the model number of the Arris device ?

Networking Expert
Baric

Just because Comcast doesn't support something doesn't mean it does work, it just means that if you have a problem, they won't help you fix it or get it working.  VPN's work fine with Comcast.  Issues are usually related to your system or router setup, but not your cable modem (usually).

You don't say what modem or router you have so it's hard to be specific here.  In general, you can only buy a cable modem/EMTA from Comcast.  If you buy it elsewhere, Comcast will refuse to provision it, so don't waste your money doing that.  Comcast will sell you an EMTA in their Best Buy kiosks or other authroized outlets.  They usually only have one model and it's usually an Arris TM722G, which is a decent device.

New Visitor
koppekatt

I'm not using a router at this time.  The Comcast provided modem is an ARRIS TG862G/CT.  I was using DLS previously with a router and didn't have any issues.

I hadn't thought about having 2 seperate modems.  That is an alternative.

Thanks,

Tom

New Visitor
koppekatt

The Comcast provided modem is an ARRIS TG862G/CT.  I am not using a router at this time.

New Visitor
koppekatt

The Comcast provided modem is an ARRIS TG862G/CT.  I didn't have any issues with dsl and a router.  I am not using a router at this time.

Connection Expert
EG

From the many posts we have been seeing in these forums it seems that there are firmware issues and that the performance of that device is abysmal. We advise that you call in and have Comcast place it in to "bridge mode" so that it acts as any other plain vanilla cable modem and then you use your own high quality wireless capable router with it.

Use this number to reach the gateway support team; 1-800-363-2416.

Networking Expert
Baric

koppekatt wrote:

The Comcast provided modem is an ARRIS TG862G/CT.  I didn't have any issues with dsl and a router.  I am not using a router at this time.

Yes, you are.  The Arris TG862G/CT is a gateway, a combination cable modem, EMTA, and wireless router, all in one device.  These Xfinity Wireless Gateways are known be real junk, take EG's advice, have it bridged and get your own router or you can lave it wired as is for a direct connection.

New Visitor
koppekatt

Thank you so much for all of your help.  I called and had CC bridge my modem and I hooked up my router and was up and running in 5 minutes.  I don't understand why CC didn't suggest what you did.

Thanks again.  Everyone on the forums rock.