Regular Problem Solver
Murphy
Accepted Solution

Motorola SB6120 and IPv6

Am I correct that as long as the configuration page of my Motorola SB6120 modem says IPv4 Only, IPv6 has not been implemented on my headend?

The office location listed on my bill is

One Apollo Road

Plymouth Meeting, PA 19467

In the past it has been called the Lansdale system.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

Re: Motorola SB6120 and IPv6

[ Edited ]

Murphy wrote:

Am I correct that as long as the configuration page of my Motorola SB6120 modem says IPv4 Only, IPv6 has not been implemented on my headend? 

That is showing what the DOCSIS side of your cable modem is in, and currently it is in v4 Mode.  It doesn't tell you that the CMTS your on does or does not support v6.  I have checked on this for you and your CMTS does support v6 for the CPE via DHCPv6.

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

I connected a computer running Windows 7 directly to the modem and got an IPv6 address.

The modem config still says IPv4 only.

Unfortunately my Linlsys E3000 running DD-WRT doesn't support DHCPv6.

I've been running a Hurricane Electric tunnel for a long time.

Thanks for the info.

Contributor
ebernet

Hi, I live in Seattle, WA, and all my hardware supports IPV6 (SB 6120, Airport Extreme with latest firmware and IPV6 turned on, etc.). I too see IPV4 only on the 6120, all my devices show IPV6 addresses.

Is it normal to see that on the SB 6120 configuration? What do I do if not to fix it?

Thanks

Eytan

Contributor

I am having the same issue.

My modem is of the same model, and is not recieving an IPv6 address.  How would I go about fixing this?

New Visitor
nvaneck

I have an SB6121 which supports both modes, but is in IPV4 only. How do I get it into dual mode?

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

nvaneck wrote:

I have an SB6121 which supports both modes, but is in IPV4 only. How do I get it into dual mode?

nvaneck, your on a CMTS that currently doesnt not support IPv6.  The webpage your looking at doesnt show anything about how the CPE Stack works but is the DOCSIS side.

v6 Project
New Visitor
wickedfast

Not to threadjack, but is there a list/map online  of CMTS which have ipv6 enabled? I'm in West Hartford, CT with a SB6120 / compatible router and was curious as to how long before i see native v6.

Contributor
ebernet

@ComcastTuska,

I am in Seattle (zip 98105). I have a Mac Pro running Mac OS Lion 10.7.4, my Ethernet connection shows an IPv6 address. It is connected to an Airport Extreme Base Station, running the latest firmware. Using Airport Utility 5.6 I have placed my AEBS in IPv6 mode of "Tunnel". It is connected to a MOT SB6120 which on its configuration page shows that its "MDD IP Mode Override (MIMO)" is IPv4 only, and "Modem's IP Mode" is IPv4 only. When I go to "http://test-ipv6.com/" I see that "Your IPv6 service appears to be: 6to4" and "You appear to be using a public 6to4 gateway; your router may be providing this to you automatically. Such public gateways have no service level agreements; you may see performance problems using such. Better would be to get a native IPv6 address from your ISP."

So, my question is.... Is my area IPv6 yet? Are there maps of what areas? Will I be notified by email when I need to reset my SB6120 so as it will support native IPv6 and not just tunneling? I know the hardware, all along my end, does support native IPv6.

Lastly, are all my settings at my various devices correct for optimal use, or should I change them? It would be really nice if there were some kind of walkthrough on how to optimize this.

Thank You! 

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

wickedfast wrote:

Not to threadjack, but is there a list/map online  of CMTS which have ipv6 enabled? I'm in West Hartford, CT with a SB6120 / compatible router and was curious as to how long before i see native v6.

I just checked the CMTS your connected to and it is a Cisco CMTS, right now that is not enabled for v6.

v6 Project
Official Employee
ComcastTuska

ebernet wrote:

@ComcastTuska,

I am in Seattle (zip 98105).   This are doesnt support CPE v6 at this time.

It is connected to a MOT SB6120 which on its configuration page shows that its "MDD IP Mode Override (MIMO)" is IPv4 only, and "Modem's IP Mode" is IPv4 only.  That page only shows the DOCSIS side of the cable modem and doesnt mean anything to the user or the CPE(LAN) side of the cable modem.

When I go to "http://test-ipv6.com/" I see that "Your IPv6 service appears to be: 6to4" and "You appear to be using a public 6to4 gateway; your router may be providing this to you automatically. For now you could setup 6to4 if your router supports it.  http://www.comcast6.net/6to4-config.php

So, my question is.... Is my area IPv6 yet?  No not yet Cisco CMTS's are not supported at this time.

Are there maps of what areas?   Not yet but we are working on an application so that users can find out quicker so please standby.

v6 Project
Contributor
ebernet

Sounds like I am all set and have everything in place configured properly. I just need to wait for it to be updated at the Comcast end. Thank you for your prompt reply!

Eytan

Visitor

I've also got an SB6120.  I tried asking online support whether i was in a market with a v6 enabled CMTS, but they didn't understand...  any idea whether my location should support v6?

3100 Lake Brook Blvd.

Knoxville, TN 37909

thanks!

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

blearghhhhh wrote:

I've also got an SB6120.  I tried asking online support whether i was in a market with a v6 enabled CMTS, but they didn't understand...  any idea whether my location should support v6?

thanks! 

I just checked your account and the CMTS your on is a Cisco CMTS and it is not supported at this time.

v6 Project
Contributor

I'm in Montgomery, IL with Motorola 6120, Airport Express (n version).  Modem says ipv4 only.  Is Comcast going to push a firmware update so that the modem operates in ipv6?  I can use ipv6 in Tunnel mode, but not in host mode.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

macguruguy wrote:

I'm in Montgomery, IL with Motorola 6120, Airport Express (n version).  Modem says ipv4 only.  Is Comcast going to push a firmware update so that the modem operates in ipv6?  I can use ipv6 in Tunnel mode, but not in host mode.

The CMTS your on supports IPv6, what your seeing is the DOCSIS side of the cable modem.  So that doesnt mean anything to the user.  Create a new thread and post your settings please.  Also check http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ for modem support as well.

v6 Project
Contributor
WRuser

What about the Wheat Ridge, CO zip 80033 Area?  Is/will it be DHCP6? Now supported?

Thanks WS

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

WRuser wrote:

What about the Wheat Ridge, CO zip 80033 Area?  Is/will it be DHCP6? Now supported?

Thanks WS

I checked out the CMTS your on and it is enabled.  Make sure you check http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ for cable modem support along with router support.

v6 Project
New Visitor
ms_13

I'm using an SB6120 in San Francisco (94115) and still only see IPV4 in my modem's status - any word on the CMTS here?

Thanks

-Matt

Contributor
ebernet

Is this really the proper way for us to ask? looks like people from all over the country are coming here, becauseComcast's information is not being updated, and there is one guy, nationwide, checking for us and telling us whether IPv6 is on in our area. What a freakin' joke... :smileylaugh:

New Visitor
ms_13

It does seem weird, right? It's strange to me that they don't have more information available, given how they've been keeping comcast6.net up to date with info about trials as they've been available. I just chimed in here for lack of any more appropriate-seeming place to find an answer. 

What's even better is, right now it's totally not a big deal whether ipv6 is active for pretty much anybody; for me, it's just my inherent geekiness that wants it to be live on my connection. :smileyhappy:

-Matt

Contributor
ebernet

I agree Matt, it is just that they made such a big deal of it for the last few years, and now that it is finally starting to hit, this seems to be the only forum/place nationwide for any Comcast/Xfinity info... You'd think there'd be more...

Eytan

Contributor
bethontheharbor

Living in Oak harbor on whidbey island with my office listed as mount vernon, wa. Nothing here is showing we have ipv6 even implemented out here.

New Visitor

I too have an SB6120 in East Cambridge, MA. Can someone let me know if our area is support IPv6?

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

Boston is a Cisco CMTS area and is not supported for v6 CPE at this time.  Please keep an eye on www.comcast6.net for updates.

v6 Project
New Visitor

After all, there are no high-tech folks here who might need IPv6 :-P

New Visitor
benmosher

I'm in Alpharetta, GA 30004 (right outside Atlanta)... modem logs + mac address suggest I'm on a Cadant CMTS (is this Arris?) and when I switch my Airport Extreme to IPv6 "Router" mode and reboot, I do not get ipv6 addresses. (Also have a 6120.)

Is my area enabled? Thanks!

Connection Expert
EG

benmosher wrote:

I'm in Alpharetta, GA 30004 (right outside Atlanta)... modem logs + mac address suggest I'm on a Cadant CMTS (is this Arris?)

Yes. Arris purchased them a while ago. I'm not certain whether or not this makes the Cadant have the exact same IPv6 capabilites as the Arris.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

benmosher wrote:

I'm in Alpharetta, GA 30004 (right outside Atlanta)... modem logs + mac address suggest I'm on a Cadant CMTS (is this Arris?) and when I switch my Airport Extreme to IPv6 "Router" mode and reboot, I do not get ipv6 addresses. (Also have a 6120.)

Is my area enabled? Thanks!

YEs your on an Arris CMTS but no the CMTS hasnt been setup for IPv6 as of yet.  I cant give you an ETA on it at this time.

v6 Project
New Visitor
pepdar

I have two different routers that I have alternately used with my Motorola SB6121 here in San Francisco. 

When I use a Cisco 1841 (IOS 15.1(2)) configured for NDP and DHCPv6-PD on the Comcast link, I receive both the link address and the delegated /64 internal prefix, which the internal clients are able to use normally.

In contrast, when I use an Apple Airport Extreme (Simultaneous Dual-Band, 7.6.1 firmware), I only receive the external link address (no PD). With the latest Airport Utility (6.1), the option for "IPv6 Connection Sharing" is disabled when in Native IPv6 mode, leading me to believe the PD is not offered upstream to this router for some reason. 

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

What IPv6-Mode do you have it in?  I think it shoudl be in router mode.

v6 Project
New Visitor
ms_13

[ Edited ]

HI there-

I'm still curious about my SB 6120 in San Francisco. I'm still seeing only IPV4. On the other side of the modem is a dual-band Airport Extreme, and it is set in router mode. It looks like my CMTS is a Cadant, so I imagine I'm in the same boat as benmosher, but I'm just hoping for confirmation one way or another.

(ETA- just saw your message, thanks! I'll give the modem another hard reboot, since like I said, it's only showing v4.)

(And another edit: I'm all set. Thanks!)

Thanks,

-Matt

Contributor
nockam

Hi can you please check on Santa Clara, CA  95051?

My Motorola SB6120 is IPV4 only mode.

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

nockam wrote:

Hi can you please check on Santa Clara, CA  95051?

My Motorola SB6120 is IPV4 only mode.

The IPv4 only statements have nothing to do with the modem's IPv6 capability.

They are the mode that Comcast uses to access the modem for configuration.

I am running IPv6 dual stack through an SB6120 that shows IPv4 only on the configuration page.

Contributor
nockam

Do you have an IPV6 external IP as well?

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

nockam wrote:

Do you have an IPV6 external IP as well?

Yes.

Contributor
nockam

Good to know. How can i find out IF i can get an External IPV6 address as well?

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

nockam wrote:

Good to know. How can i find out IF i can get an External IPV6 address as well?

If your router supports DHCPv6 and IPv6 is available it would connect automatically.

If your router doesn't support DHCPv6 you can test for availability by connecting a Windows 7 or OS X machine directly to the cable modem.  The cable modem must be power cycled every time you change what is connected to it.  If you have Comcast phone service there is a reset button on the back of the modem.

New Visitor
pruett365

I have a Surfboard 6120 that shows IPv4 only. I live in Eugene, OR 97402

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

pruett365 wrote:

I have a Surfboard 6120 that shows IPv4 only. I live in Eugene, OR 97402

That just means that the Comcast provisioning interface is set to IPv4.

It has nothing whatever to do with its ability to support an IPv6 connection.

New Visitor
InternetLabs

I'm in Atlanta, GA 30306 and I just received a /64 IPV6 response from a DHCPv6 query.  Looks like it is turned up here now.

Robin

Regular Visitor
posicag

I just picked up a 6120 for myself, and it connected beautifuly, and singnal looks good.  I'm not seeing IPv6 on my my modem, nor can I pull an IPV6 address on my firewall.  I'm guessing that means my area isn't yet IPv6 enabled, any chance you could double check that?  I'm in Grayslake IL.

Connection Expert
EG

posicag wrote:

I just picked up a 6120 for myself, and it connected beautifuly, and singnal looks good.  I'm not seeing IPv6 on my my modem, nor can I pull an IPV6 address on my firewall.  I'm guessing that means my area isn't yet IPv6 enabled, any chance you could double check that?  I'm in Grayslake IL.

Try contacting Comcast Tuska (he posted earlier in this thread) via a private message. He can check that for you.

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

posicag wrote:

There is no place on a 6120 to "see IPv6".

Does your "firewall" support DHCPv6?

That is a requirement for IPv6 on Comcast.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Yep. Murphy is right. If you are looking at something in the user interface of the modem, then that just refers to the DOCSIS / private management /CC side of the modem and has nothing to do with the LAN side. The modem is a layer 2 bridge and will forward IPv6 addresses to the LAN side if your local system is actually providing them.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

[ Edited ]

Murphy wrote:

There is no place on a 6120 to "see IPv6".

Does your "firewall" support DHCPv6?

That is a requirement for IPv6 on Comcast.

This is correct the router\firewall needs to support DHCPv6. 

What users can do to check for v6 is to directly connect an OS that supports DHCPv6 on the cable modem.  These OS's today are Mac OS Lion or better, Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Or you can PM me and I can check on this for you, just send me your cable modem MAC address.  And yes I am still working on a webpage for users to check on this yourself.  Just been a little busy lately but hoping things will clear up a little here in a month or so.  But as always keep on eye on www.comcast6.net for updates.

v6 Project
Official Employee
ComcastTuska

EG wrote:

Yep. Murphy is right. If you are looking at something in the user interface of the modem, then that just refers to the DOCSIS / private management /CC side of the modem and has nothing to do with the LAN side. The modem is a layer 2 bridge and will forward IPv6 address's to the LAN side if your local system is actually providing them.

EG is correct as well, people are confusing the MDD override to v4 as v6 is setup or not.  This is only on the cable modem management (DOCSIS) side of things.  There is no setting or value that will tell you if you can get v6 or not on the CPE. 

v6 Project
New Visitor
Ed_Murphy

Currently CPE/Cpomputers are not being configured for IPv6

The Cable Modems are the Only thing being configured for IPv6 (DHCPv6).

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Ed_Murphy wrote:
Currently CPE/Cpomputers are not being configured for IPv6

Huh ? AFAIK, today's O/S's are all *dual stack* capable.

If you mean something else, please explain / clarify.

New Visitor
Eldereggroll

Dont know if I'm bring back an old thread or necrobumping, but i stumbled upon this thread today. So i logged into my friendly Comcast chat program and asked my rep what the deal was with the roll out of firmware on my sb6120 for IPV6. Unfortunately the rep was not knowledgable on this matter and decided to terminate our conversation before my question was answered, so now im here. Any chance for Tech to answer " when is the firmware coming", aside from the " It'll be automatic and no defnite timeframe."

Modesto, CA