New Visitor
Stepho23o

Motorola Surfboard SBG6580

Just purchased the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 extreme wireless cable modem gateway. I contacted Comcast multiple times to see how to properly setup the device with or existing cable modem that runs our home phone and cable. I can't get anyone in customer service to give me any usable advice!! I've had them tell me to buy additional device and unneeded equipment. I had a tech come last Friday to fix the issue but he didn't. He got my phone working, but not the internet and also left 1 of the t.v.'s not working!!! Can anyone help me??? Steps to get all of it working? Unfortunately Motorola's website link takes me to a foreign site that I can't read! lol Any help would be greatly appreciated :smileywink:

New Visitor
Anita_Dsouza

Re: Motorola Surfboard SBG6580

Well, I do agree with you about the not getting any usable advice from the customer care rep. But coming to the motorola SBG6580, any problem in particular?

I got the same one called up the customer care to get internet activated with it.

Gave them the MAC id which I assume they associate with the account and then sent a refresh signal to the router which restarts. That should setup the connection. You should be able to see your wifi network with the name motorola-1st 4 chars of the MAC id.

To connect to internet on the WIFI, you'll need to install the software using the disc that came with the router to get PSA key. You'll be asked to enter this as the authentication key when u try to connect to the WIFI network. Hope this helps. If there's any particular question, then please let me know. :smileyhappy:

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Connection Expert
EG

Stepho23o wrote:

Just purchased the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 extreme wireless cable modem gateway. I contacted Comcast multiple times to see how to properly setup the device with or existing cable modem that runs our home phone and cable.

You don't need a gateway device that has a built in modem like the 6580 if you already have an eMTA / modem. You only needed a straight router.

New Visitor
Netteligent

Motorola is the worst and they are heading for self-destruction. Luckily Arris bought them. There is NO help from Motorola: web site is terrible and customer rep. is even worse. I could not find software upgrade and they told me to contact Comcast. 

Download the user guide and figure out yourselves. Good luck.