New Visitor

Move cable modem to another house

When I visit my father (who also subscribes to Comcast), I bring my cable modem and connect to the internet.

I am using MY cable modem, for which I pay Comcast for the service I use.  BUT I am NOT using it in my home.  I am using it in a completely different home which also subscribes to Comcast.

Is there any wording in our High Speed contract that prevents me from doing this?  Can Comcast prevent me from doing this?

Repeat.  I am paying for the service AND only using it in ONE location at a time.
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Move cable modem to another house

You would have to call Comcast to get a ruling.  I suspect that you're violating your TOS, but I'm not a lawyer.  My reasoning is the HSI service is provided to a particular residence, not as a mobile service to YOU as an individual.  This section of the Comcast Subscriber Agreement would seem to confirm my opinion, but I don't know if Comcast would have the same understanding:

6. Maintenance And Ownership Of Equipment

1. Comcast Equipment. You agree that except for the wiring installed inside the Premises ("Inside Wiring"), all Comcast equipment belongs to us or other third parties and will not be deemed fixtures or in any way part of the Premises. Comcast Equipment includes all new or reconditioned equipment installed, provided or leased to you by us or our agents, including but not limited to, cabling or wiring and related electronic devices, cable modems, multimedia terminal adapters ("MTA"), wireless gateway/routers, any other hardware and all software or "downloads" to Comcast Equipment. You agree to use Comcast Equipment only for the Services pursuant to this Agreement. We may remove or change the Comcast Equipment at our discretion at any time the Services are active or following the termination of your Service(s). You agree to allow us access to the Premises for these purposes. You may not sell, lease, abandon or give away the Comcast Equipment, or permit any other provider of video, high speed data or telephone services to use the Comcast Equipment. The Comcast Equipment may only be used in the Premises. At your request, we may relocate the Comcast Equipment in the Premises for an additional charge, at a time agreeable to you and us. YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IF YOU ATTEMPT TO INSTALL OR USE THE COMCAST EQUIPMENT OR SERVICES AT A LOCATION OTHER THAN THE PREMISES, THE SERVICES MAY FAIL TO FUNCTION OR MAY FUNCTION IMPROPERLY. You agree that you will not allow anyone other than Comcast employees or agents to service the Comcast Equipment. We suggest that the Comcast Equipment in your possession be covered by your homeowners, renters, or other insurance. You will be directly responsible for loss, repair, replacement and other costs, damages, fees and charges if you do not return the Comcast Equipment to us in an undamaged condition.
By "Premises" they mean the address for which your Comcast HSI account is billed, not your father's house.  This is all muddied up by the fact that he also has Comcast service, just not HSI, correct?
New Visitor

Thank you Baric for your rapid response.  I do appreciate your answer.  I do see a loophole in the agreement however.  It says Comcast equipment provided by Comcast.  My cable modem was purchased by me at Best Buy. Comcast has NEVER set foot inside my house.  Therefore, IMHO, I am allowed to relocate my purchased modem to where ever I deem fit.  Hmmm... Makes one think.

I wonder what others think about this ruling.

Thanks again Baric.  Best wishes.

Skookumchuck
Networking Expert
Baric

That would seem to mean section 6 does not apply to you.  But like I said, you should ask Comcast for a definitive answer.  I'm just a customer, like you.
Contributor

"YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IF YOU ATTEMPT TO INSTALL OR USE THE COMCAST EQUIPMENT OR SERVICES AT A LOCATION OTHER THAN THE PREMISES, THE SERVICES MAY FAIL TO FUNCTION OR MAY FUNCTION IMPROPERLY."

In your case the word "services" applies to you.

I don't see where it prohibits taking your cable modem to another location, they simply say it might not work there.

If it works it works, if it does not, you're SOL.