New Visitor
AJH2012

My WI-FI keeps dropping

I recently had Xfinity Internet installed.  I have a Netgear WNDR3300 router for wifi.  I have never had any trouble in the past when using WOW as my cable provider.  Now that I have changed to Comcast my wi-fi keeps dropping or it just doesn't work at all.  Most of the time I have to shut down the cable modem, shut down the router and then shut down the computer.  Then I turn the modem back on and let it light up.  Next I turn the router back on and then my computer.  It's a complete pain.  I have had this for just over a week and have only been able to use the wireless a few times.  My computer is a Dell running Windows 7.  I have read that my router may be considered at the 'end of its life' and am wondering if I should upgrade the router or is there something else I should be looking at?  Any help would be great. Neither Comcast or Netgear's help sites are very helpful for these kind of issues.  I asked Comcast about it and they told me to talk to Netgear.  Help.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: My WI-FI keeps dropping

[ Edited ]

What are the indicator lights doing on the modem when this happens ? What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Does the same thing happen with the router out of the mix with a computer directly connected to the modem ? You will have to properly powercycle / reset the modem when doing so and then again when you re-insert the router.

Connection Expert
EG
New Visitor
New Visitor

Have the same system and had the same problem.  Found out Netgear provided free routers but were defective so Comcast dropped them.  Comcast now has a unit with the router built in.  Just  received 6 weeks ago.  Modem, router and telephone modem all in one unit.  Model AR TG862G.  Comcast shipped and sent a return box for the old hardware. 

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]