New Visitor
teamvitro

Need help port forwarding on Arris TG852g/CT for home security system

I just switched from uverse to comcast triple play and have the Arris TG852g/CT router.  I have a Q-See home security system and in order to be able to view it externally I need to forward ports 80 and 6036.  I have been trying for the last few days to set this up.  Comcast support tells me that they cannot assist me but tell me the ports are not blocked by them.  But no matter what I try the ports do not see to be open. 

I am not very tech savvy so if you are able to provide a response please walk me through as I likely will not know what you are talking about. 

Some details:  

IP address  10.0.0.11

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway  10.0.0.1

IP address of DVR for security system 10.0.0.15

I assume that the server IP I use in the router setup for port forwarding is the DVR IP but I have tried every IP address I can find and nothing seems to work.  Can anyone help me? 

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Need help port forwarding on Arris TG852g/CT for home security system

Why the two IP addresses, is it 11 or 15?  Which IP are the prots being forarded to?  You don't list the port forwarding setup, nor detail your exact setup or equipment used.

Under normal conditions, port forwarding works on the Arris gateway, but the really awful Comcast firmware tends to get in the way sometimes.  Try chaning the firewall security level to Medium or Low to stop the gatewya from interferring with external connection attempts.  From many posts I've read, it seems the gateway likes to block things it should not.

Better yet, either get rid of the gateway (all gateways are bad news) and get a seperate cable modem and router, or at least have the gateway placed in bridge mode (call 800-363-2416) which turns it into a cable modem and just use your own router.

New Visitor
teamvitro

Thanks for the reply.  I need to forward ports 80 and 6036 to 010.000.000.015 which is the IP address of my Q-See DVR so that I can view remotely. 

The firewall was set to medium so I switched it to low but still no luck.  I planned to use my own equipment but since we have the phone with triple play I didn't have the right equipment to support that.  I plan to drop the phone after the trial period so maybe I can just ditch that equipment now.  I will call and have it placed in bridge mode and see how that works out and will update with my results.

New Visitor
spencerro

The maker of your security camera system can log onto your computer and get onto your router while you are on the phone with them and make these adjustments.  I have done that with no problem providing the system you bought has good support like mine.