Contributor
c0micrage
Accepted Solution

Need help to get my Netgear WNDR3700 working with Comcast xfinity

I have a linksys wireless router that works perfectly with the modem with telephone service.

I am trying to setup my Netgear WNDR3700. I typed in http://www.routerlogin.net to access the router manager.
I was able to get in. I clicked on the Setup Wizard to detect internet connection. Got a
"Static (fixed) IP detected message. Clicked Next button. I typed in the following IP Configuration:

IP Address : 192.168.1.100
Sub Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gatway IP Address : 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS : 68.87.73.246
Secondary DNS : 68.87.71.230

A popup browser appear to try to indicate success, but could not access the internet. I tried several more times, but was
unsuccessful. I pressed the reset button and tried again. After entering the IP settings, I get an error message:
WAN and LAN IP Address must be on the same subnet. Strange, the IP Address look correct. Please help.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Need help to get my Netgear WNDR3700 working with Comcast xfinity

[ Edited ]

First, that IP address is wrong, it's 192.168.100.1 and not 192.168.1.100. Second, forget about all of that, all you need to do just properly powercycle the modem each an every time that you change the device that is being directly connected to it. In the case of it being a telephony type modem with a built in backup battery, that means depressing and holding in the recessed reset button until the indicator lights flash.

Contributor

All you have to do is Power cycle the modem, with the Netgear wndr3700 powered off, after the modem comes up and locks into the interent connection (ie all indicator leds indicate send, receive and online) then power up the netgear router. It'll auto matically set it's self up with the correct parameters. After it stablizes, power up your computer, be patient it may take a few minuits but will connect. After this the router will be usable and ready to set up the other paramters you want like Securitys and wireless settings. Got one of these my self, love it.

Connection Expert
EG

Echoooooo..... :smileysilly:

Contributor

oh BTW these Wndr3700 contain an internal DLNA server, just connect a USB hard drive to it's USB port with movies on it and on your TV or BlueRay player select the UP&P option, wait a few seconds and the router will appear with your hard drive folder, browse it for the movies to play. Works great, 1080p with no problems at all.

EG, not all of us are that technical, some time all steps have to be included down to laymans terms for other to understand it all...

Connection Expert
EG

EG, not all of us are that technical, some time all steps have to be included down to laymans terms for other to understand it all...

I believe that my post was non-"technical" ???