New Visitor
ksomicken

Netflix pauses and rebuffers

Last week I swtiched from ATT&T DSL to basic (3mbps) Comcast Xfinity internet service.

I have an LG BD570 Bluray Player connected to my home network which I use to watch Netflix.  Ever since switching to Comcast, Netflix pauses and takes several seconds to rebuffer just about every time I watch something.  We're talking usually a couple times a day just about every day since Tuesday.  This would happen on rare occasion with DSL, but it happens every day with Comcast, and is hardly acceptable.

Network speed tests conducted at two different websites (www.speedtest.net and www.speakeasy.net/speedtest) at various times throughout the day on several days confirm download speed of just over 3Mbps and upload speed of .75, both of which are conistently faster than AT&T.

No issues encountered yet with YouTube and other streaming video sites.

I'm probably going to have to call Comcast, but in searching for help online I found this forum, so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Any ideas?

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Netflix pauses and rebuffers

What router and cable modem are you using?  3Mbps is probably borderline for buffering HD content.  Do you have your Netflix account setup for SD or HD delivery?

What does the speedtest at http://speedtest.comcast.net say?  I would not trust the others, they can give very strange results.

New Visitor
AnjArv

I have experienced a similar issue (of Netflix frequently rebuffering). I use a direct internet app on my TV to watch Netflix or watch it on the internet. The behavior and frequency of rebuffering has been similar, irrespective of the medium. In addition, this problem has popped up over this past week. I have not noticed it earlier.

When I did the Comcast speed test on my laptop, I got a download speed of 0.74 Mbps with a peak of 17.71 Mbps

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

[ Edited ]

If you go to http://192.168.100.1, see if signal levels are shown, and maybe a log. It sounds like you have something wrong.

Also, are you hard-wired to the player, or using wireless?

New Visitor
ksomicken

[ Edited ]

My modem is a Ubee DDM3513 (supplied by Comcast) and my router is a Linksys WRT54GS. I will try connecting my BD player directly to the modem and see how that goes for a while. But I don't imagine the router is at all at fault here since it is the same one I was using when I had DSL.  The only part of my network setup that has changed is the modem (and, of course, the service coming in to that modem).

The Comcast speed test is on par with the others -- 19ms ping, 3.14Mbps download, 0.74Mbps upload.

I do see in the Netflix FAQ that certain titles are available in HD if you have an HD device connected to your HDTV, and that they suggest a high speed connection of at least 5Mbps.  However, I am not interested in HD.  Unfortunately, I don't see any options in my Netflix account to enable or disable HD.  I'd certainly disable it if I could find that option.

New Visitor
ksomicken

I think (I hope) I may have found a solution to this.  While there is no option (that I can find) to specifically allow or disallow streaming content in HD, under "Watching Instantly on your TV or Computer" in my Netflix account settings, there is a link called "Manage Video Quality."  The choices are Good Quality, Better Quality, and Best Quality.  By default, nothing was selected, so I suppose it would always attempt to play the best quality available.  I selected Better Quality.  I watched about two hours of programming today and the quality was acceptable and it didn't stop to buffer once.

Let's hope it says that way.

Email Expert

It still sounds like there's a problem with your connection, if you frequently get only 3 Mbps. See the troubleshooting sticky threads in the Connectivity forum.

Contributor

The Netflix problem is not due to download speed or type of device.(If you google netflix pauses you will find that everybody is complaining with a variety of devices.) I have an HD Roku box wired directly to my commercial grade 100 MB/s Internet switch. Download speed tests are almost always greater than 10 MB/s checked from any of the several computers on my network. I have problems with Netflix pauses almost every night, usually more on weeekends, and this has been going on for months. Numerous times I have checked my download speed while having Netflix problems and it is always well above 5 MB/s, usually over 10, so it is not a bandwidth issue.  Also, the idea that it is caused by DNS servers is totally ridiculous. There is one of two possible causes: 1) Netflix servers are overloaded, or 2) Comcast is lowering the priority on Netflix packets. It probably is not possible to get either company to admit the problem without a court order. Perhaps some enterprising law office would be willing to pursue this. I am sure it would be very easy to find many, many people to join the lawsuit.

New Visitor
erandalln

Just to add my new user comcast customer feedback:  I set netflix video quality to 'good' (didn't know about that setting, either), and have moderately good service on my Wii (comcast cisco modem -> ethernet cable  to linksys router -> wireless to Wii) and pause-y service to my laptop (wireless and ethernet cable to computer from linksys router). This has just started being a problem today, 19th of September. No explination yet.

ERandall

New Visitor
ragonarf

Agree and very well put, but i think the problem is more netflix than anyone else.  i have comcast burst and my typical online speed is 12mbps minimum and upload 10mbps min.  i.e. they are usually higher, the point being these minimums exceed all NETFLIX recommendations.  in addition i have hardwired my sony bdp s570 directly into my comcast modem by passing my lan and have experienced the same buffer and reload issue. 

as you stated the problem is identified extensively on the internet over a wide range of devices.  the majority of theses devices are video streaming devices like blu ray players, SMART TVs, xboxes etc. but i have not seen to much on pc's and that is where it seems the problem is.  it appears netflix is set up to stream to pc's and all other devices are an after thought. i have had two recent chat sessions with netflix and in both they blame the isp.  i do not buy it. 

netflix streams fine to my pc, which is wireless, amazon, youtube, crackle etc play fine on my pc and blu ray.  the only problem i have is netflix pausing and reloading on a sony blu ray bdp s570 ethernet connected either directly to the comcast modem or through my linksys wrt 54gs router. i.e. the same problem exists when i bypass my router and in both cases i am running at speeds higher than netflix recommends.  with all that said and the fact that a netflix supervisor informed me :

"netflix we are an Uploading streaming company as for the others are a downloading streaming company."

this leads me to believe netflix was not designed for all the new video streaming devices and is struglling to catch up.

Connection Expert
EG

Two year old thread closed.