Regular Contributor
makus55

Netgear N300 wireless USB adapter

Netgear N300 wireless USB adapter claims I can get up to 300 Mbps. Now I an getting tops 117 Mbps. I can go to my modem at 10.0.0.01. I have my channel selection on Automatic. Can you recommend any tweaks I can try.

Mark

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Re: Netgear N300 wireless USB adapter

[ Edited ]

makus55 wrote:

Netgear N300 wireless USB adapter claims I can get up to 300 Mbps. Now I an getting tops 117 Mbps. I can go to my modem at 10.0.0.01. I have my channel selection on Automatic. Can you recommend any tweaks I can try.

Mark

My advise get a N900 usb adapter. N300 is a entry level adapter. Most people dont understand the router is only 50% of the wireless network the other 50% is how your devices are able to talk back to the router. If those conditions are met your wireless can be a fast as wired. 

New Visitor
Moongems

I've just upgraded my computher, and along with my Comcast router, I have the Netgear N300 Wifi USB Mini Adapter... it's connecting to the home network just fine, but connecting to the net is very shaky... intermittently I see that it isn't connected, yet I'm still on the web... IDK what I'm doing right or what I'm doing wrong... all I know is the adapter is in a separate room than the router.  It shows excellent signal strength but hit or miss connectivity.. I'm not very tech savvy.  Any thoughts?  Thanks...

Contributor
Username-Danny

Since you know the speed you're getting, I assume you know how to check your download speed. So reboot your computer, then check the speed on your wireless adaptor. Then go over to your router and plug your computer into the ethernet. Check your speed again. If your wired speed is similar to your wireless speed, then reboot your router as well as your computer and see if that helps. If the wired connection is significantly higher, then you might want to consider checking your adaptor's firmware to make sure you have the latest version (check with the Netgear website). Also, if you live in an urban area, you might want to switch off auto channel and set your channel to one that is not used much in your neighborhood. Also, microwaves, metal, and other wireless devices all degrade your wireless signal.

As for the shaky signal, holy cow, that could be so many things. A reboot of the router and computer will solve 80% of problems. If that doesn't work, plug your computer into the router and see if that fixes the shaky problem. If it does, then it's a wireless problem. If it doesn't solve the problem, then it's the Internet's problem.

New Visitor
Moongems

Thank you for this info... I actually ended up having the tech come fix the problem. Upon research, he found that a lot of people were having issues with this hardware so he swapped it for a wireless card, did some tweaking, and I'm now having no problems .