New Visitor
win4951

Netgear Router help

When the tech. installed my xfinity and also netgear router supplied by comcast, before leaving he made sure the ps3 was connected but not the laptop or xbox. I'm trying to hook up the laptop and xbox but it says I need a wep key, I don't have one, he didn't give me any type of book or anything else for the netgear.  I tried the password that I picked at the time of installation but it won't work.  Do I have to reset the password, if so how?   

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Netgear Router help

What router?  Are you sure it specifically asks for a WEP key?  If the router was configured with WEP, it was done improperly and you should change it to WPA2 as soon as you can.  Log into the router (try http://192.168.0.1, or http://www.routerlogin.net works with most Netgear devices), and either change the wireless config to WPA2 or if you want to keep WEP (bad idea, IMHO) just get the WEP key off the wireless page.

New Visitor
win4951

I have the Netgear WNR1000v2 when I clicked on the 192. address you gave me it wouldn't let me access it, then I tried the routerlogin.net link and it asked for my user id and password, the user ID I thought was my email address, and the password I chose will not work.  Is there a way to just have someone reset the password for me?

New Visitor
win4951

I got into the link, thanks so much for all the help.  Now to configure the xbox and laptop to accept the router.  Thanks again.

Networking Expert
Baric

Glad it helped.  While the WNR1000 is not what I would call a good router, it's adequate for small, simple networks that don't require lots of performance or concurrency.  I highly recommend you setup WPA2 with a strong passphrase for your wireless network, the Xbox should handle it no problem.  If you laptop is of recent vintage it should also have no problem with it.  If it does, upgrade the wireless adapter driver.  If that doesn't help, either get a new wireless adapter or step down to WPA (make sure to use AES encryption, NOT TKIP).