New Visitor
kudzu53

Networking in a multi-level condo

Hi,

I've been asked to help a friend network his three-level condo with Comcast Internet.  Currently they have a cable modem in the mother-in-law suite in the lower level attached to the m-i-l's computer. 

Now, they have a new computer on the third level and also want wireless available on the 2nd and 3rd level.

They have comcast cable connections on all three levels for TV, will we be able to put another cable modem on the 3rd level, or does Comcast only allow 1 cable modem per install?  If they do allow, is there a fee?

I can set up wireless on level 2 or 3 and see on both levels, but cannot see wireless on all 3.  If I put wireless in the basement, I can't see it on 2, apparently a very good floor between 1 and 2. 

Running cables between levels is not an option at this point, any ideas?

Thanks, Michael

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

Re: Networking in a multi-level condo

[ Edited ]

edit

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

kudzu53 wrote:

They have comcast cable connections on all three levels for TV, will we be able to put another cable modem on the 3rd level, or does Comcast only allow 1 cable modem per install?  If they do allow, is there a fee?

Thanks, Michael

You can put a modem on the 3rd level but you will have to pay ANOTHER full charge for internet each month.

FWIW, we had issues not long ago and in desperation I went to Comcast and got a 2nd modem for one of our computers. They gave me a 6 month promo rate for  internet for that modem.

Since it was a promo rate, we were able to be comfortable with the Comcast bill.

Not to many people want to pay for internet twice so the wireless repeater is a good option for you.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

[ Edited ]

edit

Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

In my opinion, based on experience, USB is a very less than optimal solution for networking...

If you can move the modem to the middle floor, connect it to a wireless router,  and install PCI wifi cards in any of the desktops that need wireless access, you would probably have a better experience....The best alternative would be to wire the condo for ethernet.....not always a viable option, but usually the best.

Does the wireless router have internal antennae, or are they external...if external, you may be able to play witht he antenna orientation to provide better siganl to all the floors. If they are internal, you don't have too many options...

---------------------------------------
Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I would look into both powerline ethernet to extend your ethernet to the upper floors from the router, that can feed both a wired solution to the upper floors, and you can also add a wireless access point to the wired portion to extend wireless coverage.

If the unit has coax running upstairs you can also use a MOCA ethernet solution to extend your ethernet from the router to the uppper floors and you can then have both wired connections available and add a wireless access point to extend your wireless coverage.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

[ Edited ]

edit

New Visitor
kudzu53

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! 

I was thinking about the wireless bridge/repeater option, hoping for something simpler, will probably go that route.  I set up a wireless bridge recently between a couple of houses on my street using Ubiquiti equipment and POE, works great and it was cheap.

Thanks,

Michael

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

In your situation, I'd take an in-depth look at powerline network adapters, and then hang the wireless router out on the 2nd floor providing coverage to 1st and 3rd floor, or maybe inexpensive WAP's on each floor.

Regular Contributor

JayInAlg wrote: 

If the unit has coax running upstairs you can also use a MOCA ethernet solution to extend your ethernet from the router to the uppper floors and you can then have both wired connections available and add a wireless access point to extend your wireless coverage.

I second this recommendation. I'm using a pair of the Netgear MOCA boxes to carry my home network via the existing coax and they work great.