Visitor

New Modem from Comcast with WIFI

I just setup my new voice/internet modem from Comcast.  This is a replacement modem as Comcast had sent notification that the old modem was no longer compatable.  That being said, we setup the new one which now had wifi (we already have a router setup).  Is it possible to have two routers running at the same time?  I am unable to connect to the Comcast WiFi.

Regular Contributor
Techx

Re: New Modem from Comcast with WIFI

You can but I wouldn't recommend it, to save some hassle since you have the new gateway I would use its wireless.

The id and password are on the bottom of the modem, If it doesn't work hold the reset (small pin hole on back) down for 1 min to factory reset the modem. and try again

You can also access your modem through a hardwired computer by going to 10.0.0.1

user= admin

password= password

Visitor

I did that, but my wireless items won't connect.  It keeps saying that I have the wrong password.  I even changed it, but still no luck.  I'll just keep using my existing router, so I really don't know why they had me swap this out.  Hopefully it wasn't to charge more. 

Also, I was wondering if I could buy my own modem?  It would be cheaper than paying the comcast rate.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

What the best thing to do is call Comcast, have the gateway put into bridge mode which disables the router function of the device, then connect your router to the modem.

Gateway devices can be problematic as far as performance.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
simssk

Hi,

I have a question about this.  The gateway device is the modem from comcast?  Just want to make sure on that.

If I call to put it into bridge mode, I have a question about the connection.  Does the one cable go from ethernet port to ethernet port on Netgear router, and then the second connection, the internet port - go to the computer?

I'm not as dumb as this post sounds.  Seriously.  But I'm not sure of the connections.  I would like to go back to the netgear router as the wifi from the comcast router is so weak.

Connection Expert
EG

Techx wrote:

You can but I wouldn't recommend it, to save some hassle since you have the new gateway I would use its wireless.

Too bad that it is a piece of garbage as a wireless performer.................

Visitor

I'm not sure I need to call and have it put into bridge mode as it isn't working anyways.  I'll just stick with my router.

Visitor

Does anyone know what kind of modem I can buy so that I can just give Comcast their modem back and not rent it at all?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

smpotts wrote:

Does anyone know what kind of modem I can buy so that I can just give Comcast their modem back and not rent it at all?

Comcast has a list of approved modems. Not all of them are available for retail sale. If you don't have Xfinity phone service it would be no problem to buy a modem.

Since you have Xfinity phone service you may not be able to purchase a telephony modem. Some areas do allow customers to buy one, other areas don't.

To see if you live in an area where you can read this

http://www.comcast.com/digitalvoicemodem

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
simssk

That's the problem. The wireless is horrible. It barely reaches into the next room. Info about how to request the bridge to get back decent wireless and hook up the netgear would be greatly appreciated.
Contributor

I just got the arris gateway tg862 and have had no success with it's bridge mode. My Apple router says double NAT when I try to connect it to the Arris. The Arris doesn't actually do bridge. What comcast is calling bridge is just no wifi. The Arris is still doing DHCP and NAT. This will conflict with ANY router you connect. The Arris doesn't actually support bridge mode.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

beneshelman wrote:

I just got the arris gateway tg862 and have had no success with it's bridge mode. My Apple router says double NAT when I try to connect it to the Arris. The Arris doesn't actually do bridge. What comcast is calling bridge is just no wifi. The Arris is still doing DHCP and NAT. This will conflict with ANY router you connect. The Arris doesn't actually support bridge mode.

That's because whoever did your's didn't do it properly and completely. Here is a tip on what they need to do exactly. Perhaps you could suggest these steps to a clueless rep;

FWIW, here is was they need to do to for them to enable and verify that the modem is in full bridge mode.

You need to have them verify the modem is in full bridge mode.

They need to go into the Arris management page and then go to Advanced (requires password of the day) --> MSO features --> then

Bridge Mode -- Enabled
Wifi - Disable
LAN DHCP - Disable

then have them reset the modem. If they dont follow those specific steps chances are your modem isnt fully in bridge mode and you may continue to have problems.

Contributor

I was just told by senior tech support that the arris isn't compatible with the comcast internet in my area. The MSO settings won't work here. This is after three of these and my home business having no internet for 4 days.
Contributor

@EG

Shouldn't Comcast techs know how to do their job? They tried 12 times! 5 different Comcast employees tried to set up bridge mode. All they succeeded in doing was to waste my time and theirs. If Comcast allowed customers to configure the Arris through the browser (like every other router) instead of 'call us to set up bridge mode' I could have done it myself. Maybe it can work. We'll never know due to the ineptitude of Comcast's employees. I can't afford for my business to be offline for 3 days. I have phones; I didn't have to get another. So I've cancelled the phone service and gone back to a D3 modem with my Apple routers that work flawlessly. Comcast loses a triple play customer because they can't do their job.

BTW: The Arris gateway doesn't support bonjour or multicast so wifi printing and streaming will be a problem. Google Arris TG862 and you will see many pages of problems with connectivity, bridging, Xbox, wireless range, etc.

Connection Expert
EG

beneshelman wrote:

@EG

Shouldn't Comcast techs know how to do their job?

Yes, of course. I couldn't agree more !!!