Visitor

New PC old modem and old Linksys wireless router PLEASE HELP

I have a Comcast modem (leased) connected to a Linksys WRT54G (I purchased and set up) then a cable to an old desktop (dell with windows 2000).  I also send signal wirelessly to my work laptop upstairs.  Any time I've had internet trouble it has taken hours on the phone with Comcast and Linksys to get it all back up and running again.  Well now my desktop PC has died.  My wireless is still working though as I have internet on my wireless-connected laptop still.  But of course I can't get to the modem or Linksys if I need to 'talk to them' (say, to unstall) through my dead desktop computer.  I have a new PC (dell with windows xp) on order arriving today.  I basically want to 'move' my wireless network, I think.  Before I unhook anything and lose the internet access that I need to do my job, I wanted to see what step by step instructions I could find.  I called Comcast and asked if they could just send someone out to set this all up, but they are 'out of stock' of wireless routers.  So I'm back to self-serve.  I do not have hours to invest in this, so I'm hoping this will be pretty simple.  The Comcast people did tell me that there is nothing I have to uninstall or reinstall on my modem or desktop, which I question.  Since when I first ordered high-speed, a nice man sat here for hours entering information into my computer.  So, is there an easy way to move everything from one desktop computer to another desktop computer and still keep my same laptop, and my same wireless network and network name intact?  Or do I have to start all over from scratch?   
Regular Problem Solver
cjortega

Re: New PC old modem and old Linksys wireless router PLEASE HELP

You should be able to just plug the network cable that was connected to the old computer into the new computer, and then boot up the new computer. It should then get an IP address from the router, the same as the old one did.

What do you want to move from the old computer to the new one? How did the old computer die?

--
Claude
Networking Expert
Baric

Comcast is correct, there is nothing you need to do.  The router provides your wireless network and that has nothing to do with your desktop PC.  When the new PC arrives, simply connect it to the router using the same ethernet cable you used for the dead one and power it up.  It will just work, baring any system problems.  There's no "move" of the wireless network involved, unless you mean to physically move the router, and even then, you can move it anywhere you like as long as the ethernet cable between the cable modem and the router will reach.

That you have "taken hours on the phone with Comcast and Linksys to get it all back up and running again" when you have a problem is not good.  We might be able to help you with that if you laid out the problem and sequence of events.  But I'd recommend leaving that until your new PC arrives, when having a wireless problem, it's best to talk to the router through a wired connection :smileysilly:  Your laptop might also have an ethernet port, then you can just plug it into one of the available LAN ports on the router with another ethernet cable.
Visitor

Thank you Claude and Baric!  The only thing I wanted to 'move' was the setup of the wall-to-modem-to-wirelessRouter-to-desktop to a new desktop.  It reads like this is a piece of cake.  I'll give it a try, and hope that I don't lose my internet connect.  I can't be offline-for either posting if I need help, or for work.  Not sure what exactly is wrong with my old desktop.  It would not reboot and even though it has a green power light, the monitor, keyboard and mouse don't run or light up.  It doesn't even sound like the hard drive is running.  I've tried a few things to let it rest and reboot again, no help.  It is around 15 years old and just needs to go to the old computer junkyard in the sky.  I just wish I could get some files off it first.  I might get my son to try to get the hard drive out of it so I can destroy that separetly-playing it safe and all.  I will keep you posted (no pun intended) if I'm successful with this new PC install or not.