Contributor

New Routers won't work

I recently got a new router becuse my old linksys one I think is slowly dieing (It's 6 years old).

I first got a netgear router and tried to hook it up. I could connect to the rounter but it would not connect to comcast.

I contacted comcast and they said to talk to netgear.

I contacted netgear and they said contact comcat.

I decided that the netgear router was just got going to work woth comcast and bought a new linksys router.

I have the same issue.  Both routers will connect to the internet when I hook them up throught the old linksys router, but not when connected to directly to the cable modem.

I have also tried connecting my computer directly to the cable modem and that won't even work.  It seems that comcast will only take my old router.

I have read in many places online to try to clone my PCs MAC address but that didn't work.  Thinking that comcast was set for my old router's MAC address, I tried cloning that, it didn't work either.

Comcast's tech support has been terrible and no help.  Anybody have any ideas?  Anybody else get a new router and have this issue?
Networking Expert
Weil

Re: New Routers won't work

Did you unplug the modem from the wall ac power between trying new routers?  That is required!
sam

Contributor

yes, I tried that.  Thanks for the response.  Any other ideas?
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
Do you have Comcast's Digital Voice service and is the modem a telephony type such as an Arris ?

If so, you need to use the reset button on the rear of the modem instead of disconnecting it from the A.C. power source in order to *powercycle* it.

Message Edited by EG on 08-11-2008 07:24 PM
Contributor

I do have digital voice.  The modem is a Motorola, it has a reset button on the top but it doesn't seem to do much.
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
Nah. The button on top is a standby button. First, make sure that this standby button is NOT engaged ! The light MUST be off.

The reset button is on the rear. The button is recessed inside a small hole. You'll need something like a straightened out paper clip, a bobbypin, or a pen point to depress it.

Depress the button and hold it in for a bit until you see the indicator lights on the front begin to flash, then release it.

Now wait 2 minutes for it to stabilize, then plug your router back in and power up your computer.

Any joy ?

You need use that button each and every time that you are changing the device that is being directly connected to the modem be it a router or a computer.

Message Edited by EG on 08-11-2008 07:33 PM
Contributor

YES!! That worked.  Thank you so much.  I looked for something like that the first time but missed it.  But it seems to be working now.  Thank you so much for your help.
Recognized Contributor
AlisMan

I find it extremely sad that Comcast tech support couldn't resolve this.
Connection Expert
EG

AlisMan wrote:
I find it extremely sad that Comcast tech support couldn't resolve this.

Yup... Same here... It's just a basic powercycle operation, but with a bit of a new twist.... 

To the O.P.

It was my pleasure !! Have fun !! :smileyhappy:
Contributor

yeah, they never mentioned it. They told me sevral times to unplug the thing.  I think I even told them that lights were still on for the phone and they said that was normal and it was still resetting. Mostly they just wanted to blame the router and I was sure it wasn't that.
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

megymonster wrote:
yeah, they never mentioned it. They told me sevral times to unplug the thing.  I think I even told them that lights were still on for the phone and they said that was normal and it was still resetting.
Just an F.Y.I.

Those telephony type modems have a built in battery backup so that in case there is a power failure, the battery will keep the phone service up and running for X amount of hours.

The battery keeps the modem alive even though it is unplugged from the wall socket which is the reason it can not be powercycled using that method.

Message Edited by EG on 08-11-2008 10:57 PM
Contributor

I had a feeling that was the case. I knew it had a backup battery.  I just didn't know how to compleatly reset the thing. Thanks again for yor help.
Bronze Star Contributor

Another happy customer EG :smileyhappy:

Can you imagine if Comcast actually paid us for all of the technical help we've dished out over the years that their own paid employees have been unable to provide? What's a service call worth these days? I know Apple charges $49 if you're out of warranty, I think that's fairly standard. I have a PayPal account and I'm poor, I'm going to start charging for answers; no answer until I see an email from PayPal with a deposit for $49 :smileylaugh:

Can you imagine putting a PayPal button right in your signature :smileydevil:

(I'm joking, it's late, it's after 3am, I should be sleeping, it's the medication...)
Email Expert

If I had a nickel for every question I've answered on Usenet over the past 20+ years, and in this forum in the past 5....
Connection Expert
EG

joel_c wrote:
Can you imagine if Comcast actually paid us for all of the technical help we've dished out over the years that their own paid employees have been unable to provide? What's a service call worth these days? I know Apple charges $49 if you're out of warranty, I think that's fairly standard. I have a PayPal account and I'm poor, I'm going to start charging for answers; no answer until I see an email from PayPal with a deposit for $49 :smileylaugh:

Can you imagine putting a PayPal button right in your signature :smileydevil:

I'll CLINK !!! to that bud !! :smileywink: :smileymischief: :smileygrin:

Contributor

I have a linksys router.  Comcast simply had to transfer my triple play to another address and the guy before he left just said "your computer should find it"  whatever the **bleep** that meant.  Your simple direction got me back on track.  Dont have to call and wait for 80 people before me.  You are my hero

Lisa J

LJonesy@Comcast.net
Connection Expert
EG

:smileyhappy:
Bronze Star Contributor
Missy

Ok guys, here's one for you:

Bought a new Linksys wireless G....it says you have to use the cd BEFORE hooking the router up.  Tried that, NUMEROUS times, but when the modem was connected directly to the computer (2 actually as I tried both) it would not get a signal.  I called Comcast 2 times and once the modem was reset from their end and the second time (because that didn't work) I was told they could send a tech out but that if it was found to be the router (WHICH WASN'T HOOKED UP YET) they would charge me $35.00 and that I should add insurance since I didn't have that on my account!

OK....so I have reset the digital voice modem via the tiny hole in the back 2 times with no joy.  I know you guys can help cause this is where you get the right answers.

BTW....I have 3 laptops that I am trying to hook up to this router wirelessly.  Anything I didn't mention, please tell me.  :smileyhappy:
Networking Expert
Weil

[ Edited ]
What are you supposed to use the router  CD for????
It ain't much good for nothing unless it has an update for the router!
Take said router back to the vendor!
sam
Excuse my error as I meant that the CD is worthless.

Message Edited by Weil on 08-28-2008 05:02 PM
Email Expert

If you can't get a signal when the PC is connected directly to the modem, then it can't be the router! Comcast has to get the modem working before you bother trying to add a router.

Did it ever work before? Or did it just stop working when you tried to hook up the router, and now you can't get it working again?

BTW, you don't need the CD that came with the router. The default settings should work fine with a cable modem, and you can use its web interface to customize the settings (e.g. turn on wireless security).
Bronze Star Contributor
Missy

Yes, it worked fine before.  I had a different router (wireless :smileycool: and wanted to upgrade to the G.  So I don't need the CD on the Linksys Wireless G router?
Networking Expert
Baric

The CD that comes with the router is not strictly necessary.  It has some software with a wizard setup that can make setting up your network a little easier, however.  I suspect you had some kind of custom security setup on the wireless B router and the wireless clients you're using on the laptops are either non-standard or not setup to talk to the new wireless-G router.  In your situation, I'd start from scratch.  In order words, forget the wireless-B router ever existed, and setup the wireless clients on the laptops to talk to the new wireless-G router (assuming they are able to).  This will usually involve removing the existing wireless setups, verifying the laptops are capable of wireless-G and are using the standard OS wireless client, not a proprietary client (like was common with old wireless-B setups).

Let's start by gathering some information:

1. What kind of laptops, OS, and wireless adapters do  you have?  Be specific.
2. What wireless clients are you using on these laptops?  all the same or different?
3. Are any of the laptops connected via ethernet?
4. What exact routers do you have?  Both old and new, please.
5. How was the old wireless-B router setup?

In order to get things going, we first verify you have all the right hardware, and then we can go about hooking up the wireless connections from the laptops to the new router.
Bronze Star Contributor
Missy

1. What kind of laptops, OS, and wireless adapters do  you have?  Be specific.  I have 3 laptops (toshiba-Vista Home Premium, dell-XP, Lenovo-Vista Home Premium).
2. What wireless clients are you using on these laptops?  all the same or different?  When you say wireless clients, you mean?
3. Are any of the laptops connected via ethernet?  No.....I have a desktop at the moment that is hooked up to the wireless-B
4. What exact routers do you have?  Both old and new, please.  I have a Linksys Wireless-B (BEFW something) and a new Linksys Wireless-G (WRTG54)
5. How was the old wireless-B router setup?  I set it up on one laptop, then added another.  I had to change some of the security settings making it less secure to get it to work...don't ask.  :smileyhappy:

In order to get things going, we first verify you have all the right hardware, and then we can go about hooking up the wireless connections from the laptops to the new router.
Networking Expert
Baric

You don't say if the wireless adapters in the laptops are wireless-G capable.  I'm going to assume they are, if not, yell.

By wireless client, I mean the wireless connection software running on each laptop.  Both XP and Vista have their own built-in clients so there's no need to use the wireless client that came with the wireless adapter.  If the laptop has a built-in wireless adapter, it may or may not be using the OS provided client, in which case you should switch.  For example, some HP laptops come with Intel wireless adapters and HP uses the Intel wireless client, not the XP (nto sure if this holds true on newer models with Vista pre-installed, haven't played with one recently).  If you have trouble with a particular non-OS wireless client, you will have to contact the individual provider of that client, which is why I recommend using only the OS provided wireless client.

I would recommend you take the following steps:

1. Setup the new Linksys WRT54G router per the instructions I wrote up in How to Secure a Wireless Router .  That post was written with a Linksys WRT54G as the example router so it should very simple to do.
2. Once you have the router setup and secured, on each laptop configure a wireless connection to that router.  See  How to connect to a Secured Wireless Router - Windows Vista for how to do that with Vista.  For XP, I'd suggest following these instructions Wireless Adapter Configuration in XP starting with the section entitled Configuring Wireless Adapter Properties.

Bronze Star Contributor
Missy

Baric,

You are a PRINCE!!  I will follow your instructions when I get home on Monday.  They are all wireless-G compatible.  The adapters are built in so which should i use to set it up?
Networking Expert
Baric

Just follow the router setup and then individual laptop setups in the links above.  You might want to right click the wireless-B connections that show up in the Network Connections window and Disable them.  I wouldn't delete them just yet, but after everything is working fine on the wireless-G links, they can be axed.
Bronze Star Contributor
Missy

Baric,

Took your advice and got the new router set up and running securely.  My problem now is that I seem to sometimes lose the connection.  It seems to happen to my daughter's computer more than mine.  She is on a Lenovo Ideapad (about 1 month old) running Vista Home Premium.  Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!
Networking Expert
Baric

Wireless disconnects are usually caused by a spotty signal or interference.  Try changing the wireless channel.  If you are using a 2.4Ghz cordless phone, try unplugging the base station and taking the batteries out of the handsets to see if the problem disappears. Move the router up to head leave and away from any walls.  Play with the Antenna orientation (this can make a HUGE difference!).
Bronze Star Contributor
Missy

OK...I will try moving it as far from the wall as I can.  I have a 6.0 cordless phone which is on the other end of the house.  Thanks again Baric!
New Visitor

And yet another happy customer. Why is it that 2 comcast techs and hours later, I finally get the answer. Thanks for the info.