Contributor
Micksauto

New SMC wireless modem is a joke

New SMC unit. This thing has the range of a no armed golfer. My son is no more than 20 feet away, and only has 1 bar??? what the heck is this??? Somebody better do something, or I will be canceling my service.. All computers in my house are very close range, and they all have this problem. Also, the speed is no better than my ol DSL.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: New SMC wireless modem is a joke

Try connecting a computer via an ethernet cable and see how the wired speeds are. Can you log in to the unit a try changing the wireless operating channel ?

Contributor
Micksauto

I have my desktop wired to it and it's the same story.

Connection Expert
EG

What is the exact model number of that unit ?

Networking Expert
Baric

You haven't told us what you are using exactly, so it's hard to say here.  If the performance is slow on wireless and wired, AND the wireless signal is degraded so close to the unit, then the problem is probably wireless interference causing excessive processing time on the router.  EG suggests changing the wireless channel and that's a VERY GOOD suggestion since moving the channel can work around interference and congestion caused by other wireless signals in your area.  Please be aware that wireless interference has nothing to with Comcast or their service, it's purely a local issue at your router.

The othe thing you should do is post your modem signal levels from http://192.168.100.1 just in case there's an issue.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Not sure that IP addy will access an SMC gateway Baric ? That's why I asked for the model #.

Contributor
Micksauto

SMCD3GNV

Contributor
Micksauto

The link you provided keeps timing out.

Contributor
Micksauto

how exactly do i change the wireless channel? I have een into it to add ports for my Xbox live, but even that won't work. I had to set up a static IP for those. Mind you, this has a ll been happening from day one. I did the port forwarding last night.

Contributor
Micksauto

oK, I think I found the channel select. I moved it up to 11. Seems faster on my laptop. Now if my cable tv was better....oh and my phone. I think why is because it's a 2.4 hrz. unit.

Connection Expert
EG

What addy did you need to use to access it ? Did you need to use a username and password as well ?

Contributor
Micksauto

I used my 10.0.0.1 in the browser. I signed on with admin/password.

Connection Expert
EG

Thanks. There should be a "Signal" status tab there somewhere. Can you post those stats for curiosity please ? We are looking for the Downstream Power Level, the Upstream Power Level, and the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) figures.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Also, are the wireless security features being used ? Could some neighbor be leeching your bandwidth ?

Contributor
Micksauto

I am using the encryption.

Contributor
Micksauto

down stream power is 8.160 dbmv, snr is 39.397 db

up stream power is 40.5000 dbmv

Connection Expert
EG

Well WIW, the stats are o/k.

Contributor
Micksauto

seems to be running ok, but I won't know about the range until everyone gets home.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

For the range issue, can you find any option/choice in the User Interface to increase the wireless power setting  ? Typically we would advise you to try re-orienting the antenna/s as well but I don't believe that that device has any external antenna/s ?

Are you using "WEP" or "WPA2" for the "encryption" ? WEP is easily cracked. WPA2 is far more secure.

Contributor
Micksauto

wpa2, and no external antennae. I know your avatar says connection expert, but you seem to know as little as I. no offence.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

I'm afraid that I don't quite understand that comment. I am a fellow customer as is Baric who also replied in this thread. We are not employees. This is primarily a customer to customer help venue and we do the best that we can here with the typically "little" information that is provided by posters seeking help. We also don't have any access to any of the advanced tools/resources that CC employees do.

Contributor
Micksauto

I'm sorry, I realize now that avatar statement is just based on the number of times you have posted. I really appreciate the help.

Connection Expert
EG

Wrong. There's more to it than just that.  But no worries. Gee, you really know how to hurt a guy more than once don't ya ?  :smileysilly:

Contributor
Micksauto

Dam, I can't win. It says you're a connection expert with over 24 thousand post.

Connection Expert
EG

That information is indeed correct. :smileywink:

Networking Expert
kevj

When EG says 'there's more to it than that' he means just that. There are a group of long standing members of this forum, who have been Comcast customers for many years, and have provided help to fellow customers free of charge for many of those years. In recognition of that, Comcast created an Expert role within the membership of the forums, which gives certain individuals some expanded capabilities and recognition. Post count is almost ignored when bestowing Expert status. You will see many people in this forum with post counts higher than some of the experts...but post count doesn't necessarily equate to subject knowledge.

NONE of these experts are Comcast employees, so they have no access to any of the internal Comcast tools, as EG mentioned. Almost all of these experts do however, have a great deal of knowledge regarding their area of expertise. The rank of expert is not dished out lightly, and there is a great deal of 'behind the scenes' responsibility, beyond trying to assist other customers.

Ohh... and ALL of the experts that do this sometimes thankless, and oft frustrating job, are volunteers. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
Micksauto

I know all about the thankless volunteer jobs, as I volunteer all the time. I have been a omcast customer for more than 15 years, and was very dissappointed by the lack of quality in this triple play deal. The average person could not have solved this problem. I had your basic 17 dollar cable TV, and the picture quality was way better than this 33 dollar package. How does that work? My phone sucks now, my tv sucks now, and thankfully with these guys help, my internet is at least running the way I guess it should.

Visitor
Tibs1017

i am having a similar issue with this product. currently the range and signal strength is extremely weak to all of our wireless devices (gaming systems, computers, cell phone) with exception to my wife's laptop. maintaining connectivity is also an issue once i can get them to connect ans sometimes the network is not recognized. i used to run a cable modem behind our entertainment area with a d link wireless router connected to i could hardwire the tv, gaming systems, and my computer and just connect wirelessly with our other computers. unfortunately since this smc unit has to be connecting for the digital phone we lose some flexibility on where we can place it. the house is ran with cat 5 and i still have my d link router which used to work great. i would still prefer a way to hard wire my entertainment area to ensure max speed since we do so much video streaming and gaming. i would appreciate any suggestions on how this can be accomplished. thank you.

Networking Expert
Baric

Comast iwll allow you to have two cable modems, one for digital phone, and one for HSI, if that's needed to help with layout.  the phone modem will not allow anything but phone connections, and the HSI modem will only allow computer connections.

That said, wireless is your responsibility unless Comcast installed the router and then you need to call them for support.  My recommendation is never go with Comcast gateway devices, always go with seperate modem and wireless router configs.  Then you control the router, placement, etc.

Visitor
Tibs1017

i agree that that may be the best way to go. thank you for the help. i tried to follow the instructions in the manual on disabling the wireless, but it required the assistance from xfinity tech service over the phone. unfortunalty i was passed around 4 times and no one was familiar with the unit or the statement in the instructions about needing xfinity to cut off the wifi.

Networking Expert
Baric

I think the old cliche "when you want something done right, do it yourself" applies here. :smileywink:

Visitor
Tibs1017

i agree

Visitor
Kbomb71

I am a new Comcast customer and am also having signal strength issues with this same device. There is nothing wrong it and no more interference in my house than there was with the wireless router I had with my previous Qwest service. Tech support has few answers on this new device - but I think it is a simple explanation. The range on this thing stinks.
Networking Expert
Baric

Did you try changing the wireless channel?  You might be getting external interference from neighbors, etc.

Visitor
Kbomb71

Yes, I switched from default automatic channel selection to manual. It allows the choice of 1, 6, or 11. All produce the same result. I just think the range on this thing isn't as good as other brands. Hopefully, Comcast will look for better quality on the next model and I can upgrade at that time.
Connection Expert
JamesR

[ Edited ]

Some routers come with a power control. Can you browse back into your router and see if there is a control that will  allow you to crank up the power?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

FWIW I had the "joy" of tinkering with a SMCD3GNV and the range does indeed suck. It sucks hard, man. Maybe it was just a bad unit...

Visitor
Kbomb71

It wasn't just a bad unit.  All other problems have been checked out. The range on these just stink.  I've got mine setup in a location that minimizes the problem.  However, if you have the choice then skip getting this model.

Networking Expert
Baric

I think the bottom line of these guys is get Comcast to place it in bridge mode and use your own wireless router.

Contributor
WilliamCroysdil

Wireless signal range depends on contributing noise. Example my neighbor is a ham radio operator and his signal reduces the range of my wifi while he is brodcasting or it did till I moved but range can have other factors thy will shorten your range like how many otter ap's are near you were I live now there are 16 wireless routers within range most of them broad casting on channel 11. I fixed it by finding a channel that had no other routers on it amazingly enough no one was using channel 8. So I went from only having wifi upstairs to having it all over my house. Still kinda bad going down the stairs but no one uses their laptop sitting on the stairs. My suggestion is buy a linksys or netgear router I find them all the time at thrift stores. Just make sure it's atleast a G router and works.
Regular Problem Solver
Visitor
Kbomb71

All the tips and suggestions are appreciated. However, wireless signal strength is also dependent on the quality of the hardware; and in this case it sucks. Changing channels doesn't change a thing, by the way, and the geniuses that designed this only let you manually select channels 1,6, or 11.
Bottom line - the suggestions that support getting only the modem from Comcast and using your own wireless router are the best suggestions here.
Connection Expert
JamesR

Selecting cannel 1, 6 or 11 minimizes Channel overlap by giving you 5 channel separation.

That said, the best resolution, as you have said, is separate modem/Router setup.

Don't forget to get a receippt when you turn it in.

New Visitor
kallyn

I have the same issue.  Any wireless connection degrades the moment we move from the room that the SMC gateway is in.  My main floor is only a total of approx 950 sq feet and I didn't have a single problem with my Qwest router managing the same distance.  I have the gateway in the same spot as my previous Qwest router and I manage less than 1mbps download speed according to speedtest.net.  I am wondering if purchasing a newer wireless adapter that supports the wireless N technology and includes a "booster" would help improve my speed?

Networking Expert
kevj

Buying a new wireless adapter would *probably* be of minimal help here, if the wifi range on the gateway is as bad as people have reported here. Also, 'booster' technology is applied to the speed at which an adapter/wifi router pair transmit data between them selves, so will not help with signal strength issues. Additionally, any 'booster' technology is usually only effective between routers and adapters of the same brand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Networking Expert
Baric

kallyn wrote:

... I am wondering if purchasing a newer wireless adapter that supports the wireless N technology and includes a "booster" would help improve my speed?

I would be more inclined to have Comcast setup the gateway in bridge mode and just get a better wireless router.  I agree with kevj that getting a new adapter is not likely to help in this instance since the problem appears to be with the gateway signal.

New Visitor
aliottac

Haha ha!!!  I so agree, we are getting a poor,low,or fair on ours. I used WOWWAYS and can't tell u why we switched, biggest mistakes of our lives!  WOWWAYS gateway modem/router rocked. If we even get a connection at all that is, when u call then all they do is switch u back and forth and back and forth for hours, I was left on hold in a Q for over and hour and 21 minutes, the second time around only to be told that they couldn't help me. It took me 3 hours all together to get nowhere. WOWWAY, here we come back. They may not have as many amenities as COMCAST but u better bet that I was NEVER on hold for longer than 5 to 10 minutes, and if they couldn't help me within a fair amount of time someone would be at my door the very next day who could. And oh, a manager was ALWAYS available and their reps did it ALL so you didn't have to be passed back n forth and back n forth. I am so mad right now!!!!

Oh I was also told by one of their reps when I said that I got a better signal from my neighbor across the street to use that one if its better.  Are u kidding me?  Isn't that illegal? And then what am I paying COMCAST for?

I hope u got your issues resolved.

Contributor

I just got the SMC wireless modem installed yesterday.  I have the same problem, the signal is very, very weak and I'm 20 feet from the modem!  My neighbors' signals are coming in stronger than my own.  Had to hook it up to my router and the signal is back to full strength.  Poor decision for Comcast to roll out these modems, they are obviously inferior.  I had asked for Arris 722g and got this garbage instead.

Contributor
marabone68

Thank you for posting instructions, but I have NO idea what to do first. I bought a router and it wouldn't plug into the RCA digital modem. I have no idea if the RCA is eca or what it is. In any case, I am returning the router. Went to Comcast service and they gave me the SMC wireless thing and told me NOT to unplug our phone from the RCA, but to connect our computer to the SMC.

If I pull out the cable from the RCA and put it into the SMC, I will probably lose internet and have to go thru all that release of IP address and so on. I am SO AFRAID we will mess this up.

If we went to Verizon, they do everything for you! I am so tired of Comcast. We pay about $200/month, never watch any movies, and have to wait an HOUR to get technical help (which is terrible) on the phone.

What should I do?

Contributor
marabone68

I just called my neighbor who has a  Verizon Fios internet connection and router and their WiFI is FINE! Theirs works on the patio, upstairs, downstairs, all over the house!!!

Maybe Comcast will get the message. This piece of equipment needs to be replaced with something good, like Verizon has.

Again, I am worried about connecting it as it seems to require a lot of time and effort and technical expertise, and although I downloaded the manual (thanks to someone here who posted it, no one provided it with the device, as I would have hoped?) and I don't know how to do this.