New Visitor
ACinTN

New XFinity Modem/Router and iPhone WiFi issues

I was sent a letter by Comcast sometime ago saying that my old 'triple play' modem was not sufficient to accept Comcast's new, higher speeds and they needed to send me a new one. So, I filled all that out and received my new SMC networks modem with the WPS button on the top that is also a wireless router.

Before, I had an external router that was working fine.

Right now, everything works - but, I'm finding that it kicks my iPhone off the network quite a bit - mostly, when it's not in use. Occasionally, it kicks off my laptop. I'm finding that this is a common issue. Like everybody else, I've called customer service, got send to Pakistan twice, got one nice guy in Knoxville and basically was told I have to pay. I'm *inches* from trying UVerse. I just got my first smartphone a month ago (I have now joined all the worlds 4th graders) and have been told that canceling my home phone service at some $40 a month will *raise* my bill $9 a month.

I'm already not pleased after being a Comcast customer for multi-years.

I have moved my security settings down to WPA2PSK-AES from the factory setting.

I'm probably splitting hairs - but, it just bugs me to pick up my iPhone and see "3G" in my home instead of seeing it connected to the WiFi like it always was before.

Thoughts? Have them set up the bridge and use my old router?

Thanks!

Connection Expert
EG

Re: New XFinity Modem/Router and iPhone WiFi issues

ACinTN wrote:

Thoughts? Have them set up the bridge and use my old router?

Yep. YOU'VE GOT IT !!!

Visitor
Yogadad

This is really just a "me, too" message. I spent about 30 minutes wending my way through various Comcast voicemail menus & being told to call another number. The usual. When I finally got a tech & explained that I was experiencing intermittant wi-fi drops for vaious lengths of time and at random intervals, he insisted on checking everything out, which as expected checked out ok. But it is intermittant says I. He then said it would cost me an extra $9.95 a month to get the super-duper version of service that would allow them to really figure out what was happeneing. I balked and he eventually dropped the price to $5.95, to which I said that I was renting equipment from Comcast that wasn't working correctly and that I thought they ought to stand by their equipment. When he continued to say that they only thing that could be done was to subscribe to the enhanced service, I asked if there was an option to use my own router. He sort of said yes but then went off into another long spiel about why I needed to upgrade my service package. So after a frustrating 30 minutes, I said "No, thanks" and hung up.

I am quite happy with my wired connection to Comcast. It works all the time and is very fast. But it appears that they have crappy routers and won't own up to it. At least they could provide the information needed to use my own wi-fi router.

New Visitor
ACinTN

One thing I have noticed is that the "WiFi" light on the modem itself will be off odd intervals of time. LIke 15 seconds before it will flash or longer.

I've never seen a router do that before. Is it 'working' - yes. I just never picked up my iPhone before in the house when it was connected to wireless and it said 3G, paused and then connected. Well, until I hooked up this new device....

New Visitor
MJAinMN

Same story as above. New modem and WiFi from Comcast works with PC's, but as soon as either iPhone in the house is on another network, they will not re-connect to Comcast WiFi. Reactivated the old modem and my WiFi router and all is well again. Comcast is ABSOLUTELY in violation of their implied contract
when they say "Too bad your stuff doesn't work. Pay me and I'll fix it." After three service calls that were disconnected, I'm calling Century
Link tomorrow!
New Visitor
Sandiel5

Basically - me too! Just got Comcast and constantly it is dropping and not allowing phone and tablets to connect- " unable to connect to network" . I unplug the modem, Allow it to reset, and the next day it drops a few devises. complete BS! Really frustrated as I don't want to use up data plan!
New Visitor
Mad_in_Mokena

I, too, just received the new Comcast Wi-Fi Gateway.  I can connect to the internet with all of my Apple products (iMac, 3 iPads and 2 iPhones).  It won't allow me to connect using Windows products (one laptop and one desktop).  I am currently hard-wired into the Gateway with an ethernet cable to get online.   Comcast Customer Service was unable to help, and transferred me to "premier tech support" for $5.99 a month, or a one-time service call of $79 to fix the problem.  This is ridiculous!  I'm calling for U-Verse!

New Visitor
nmyers

Not an uncommon problem with the Arris router.  There's a new generation of higher speed routers due to hit the market soon, so you could wait for that & just buy your own.  In the meantime, custom support just goes through the Comcast software to do a reset on your modem.  But, there's an easier way; the button on the top of the Arris is a dummy button, use a sharp object to press the recessed reset button on the back of the Arris, at the top.  Hold for 3-5 seconds, NO LONGER.

Contributor
AE4Q

I have a small twist to this problem we all seem to be having.

Last Thursday I replaced my iPhone with a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it is also dropping WiFi connection. I unplugged the power from the modem/router and all our devices connected but only briefly. It just doesn't seem to like portable devices. The two PC's maintain their connectivity...or have

so far...but we have 6 iPhones, 3 iPads and an Apple TV that just won't stay connected...well, two

of the iPhones are now Galaxy s4'a,...

Tell us what to do Xfinity...it's your product!

Contributor
AE4Q

One more thing!

Before we were offered this new combined modem/router we had a couple of months old Netgear Router that was working perfectly with our old modem. Replacing it did get rid of one item on the desk. As for "Speedtest" there may have been a slight increase.

Maybe should have keep the old setup? But this is Progress?

Contributor
bObaBaLLa

Had the exact same issue as everyone here, and it is a common issue. I have the SMC modem/router that they sent me. Tested the speeds and it is definitely faster, but the wireless sucks. It would keep dropping intermittently.

Did some browsing here, and pretty much everyone had the same issue. What we all did was contact Comcast and ask them to set the router in bridge mode, and then connect your own router into Port 1. You can't do this yourself on the device though, so only Comcast can do it for you remotely. Some people have had issues dealing with the service reps. You do not need to pay for enhanced services if that's what they tell you. Just keep trying until you get a hold of someone that knows about setting the device to bridge mode. I just used Comcast's Customer Support chat, and was able to get it done within 10 minutes.

It does suck that Comcast sends you a device that doesn't work properly. Was hoping to be able to have one less device plugged in when I got their new modem/router, but ended up having to use my personal router like before. The good thing is that the speeds are overall faster, so there is some benefit to getting the new modem/router.

Contributor
AE4Q

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get the old modem going after this thing is put in the bridged mode!
Thanks to this router not working with the phones our data plan with AT&T is almost depleted.
I've had to disable our Shared Data Plan.
Contributor
AE4Q

I apologize about the personal info I included.
Here is some personal info that should be of interest to all with the new modem/router.
SPEEDTEST thru the Atlanta Comcast Server.
Without the Router....63 mbps
With the Router.........25 mbps
Quite an attenuator, don't you think?
New Visitor
eswr

AE4Q wrote:
I apologize about the personal info I included.
Here is some personal info that should be of interest to all with the new modem/router.
SPEEDTEST thru the Atlanta Comcast Server.
Without the Router....63 mbps
With the Router.........25 mbps
Quite an attenuator, don't you think?

Did you run the test wired to the router or over wireless?  Just another example of Comcast looking for ways to make more money, through internet bandwidth attenuation and "premium" support.  I hope the competition catches up soon, they have recreated the monopoly.

Contributor
AE4Q

Thanks,

When I ran the Speedtest I didn't touch the router/modem.

The only thing I did was to run the test with WiFi disable.... that's were the results was 63 mbps.

Then I ran the speedtest with WiFi enabled.... that's when I got the 25mbps.

It should have been noted though, in all fairness, speedtest results vary from one test to the other.

I suppose depening on the bandwith being used at any given time.

However, in doing this for a period of several days, regardless of these peak speeds, a considerable

difference always is present. I don't think it should be so through an 802N type router!

Regardless of all this, my main concern is the lack of WiFi to our portable devices.

My three teenage grandkids have gone through a 10 GB AT&T Data Plan since 7-16-2013....

mostly texting. Our average data plane for one month is 6.3 GB.

Contributor
AE4Q

FYI

I now have WiFi through my old router...a Netgear 802N Dual-band...after taking an hour or so

to get the right person to send the "bridging" signal to my modem. 

Speedtest through this modem was 46.6 mbps .

I'm gone!

New Visitor
rli3

This is amazing.  Basically had the exact experience of original poster (oddly exact) and many of you.  Comcast customer service is just awful.  I called and was transferred to original automated menu 3 times!  Then, hung up on.  Sadly, this is not even close to the first time I have had problems with them.  Once I was called a liar.  Them and their commercials saying that they have the best customer service in America are the liars. 

Anyway, after reading the sage advice given here, I chatted with customer care about the bridging signal/mode.  They said they could do it.  While i was waiting for the rep to stop telling me about what offers they offer, I just hooked my old netgear router into the back of the modem via ethernet.  My iphone recognized the wireless network immediately.  I asked if they had started bridging yet and they said no.  So maybe try this before contacting customer service.  It's only been 20 mins or so, but so far so good.  Now have 2 wireless networks in house.  Sheesh.

Contributor
AE4Q

As of right now I've been completely happy with WiFi here using our Netgear dual band router.

None of the family has had any drop-outs. Downloads with Speedtest have been as high as 53Mbps 

on the 2.4 Ghz band and slightly lower on the 5 Ghz band. Measurements are always made through

the same local Speetest Server.Download speed was still higher without the Router but I can't afford

the service without WiFi!

I'm sure I have been placed in the "Bridging" mode because before that was done the Netgear Router

wasn't recognized by the Modem.

Cheers!

Contributor
bcgoods

Wow, i am reading with great interest all of your posts, since i am suddenly having very slow speeds through my current setup of Comcast rented Modem by Ubee and my Neatgear router.  Speed tests are showing about 21 through wireless connection, yet I should be getting their "Blast" service which claims up to 50.  Tech is coming out tomorrow, and now am wondering if they are going to try and give ME this new Modem system!  I am claiming they just do not have me on the correct service, but after multiple calls they say there may be a modem problem.  What market are you all in?  I am in Charlottesville, VA, where we cannot purchase our own modem, but must rent theirs.  This low speed has been just recently, and it's like someone at their office flipped a switch one day.  Frustrating to say the least!

Contributor
AE4Q

I'm in the Atlanta, GA market. As far as I know we have always had to use Comcast's provided Modem and we've always provided the Router. Up until a couple of months ago we had been using a Belkin Router...802G...I think it was...the old single band that preceded the 802N. Then we decided it was  time to replace it with the "N" mainly for the better coverage...we're in a three floor house with six computers plus all these cellphones and tablets.

What with all of this plus Xfinity and Netflex we give router and modem a pretty good workout!

Sorry about your speed but it may not be which market we're in because I have a friend across the 

way...another subdivision that is having about the same problem you do with the speed.

Just a thought though, we are in an all-Fiber neighborhood except for the drop from the terminal to the house. My friend does not. Do you?

Contributor
bcgoods

A good question, I do not know.  But it's all fairly new, within the last 4 years.  I will add it to my list of questions for the tech tomorrow.  So glad I read all this, I'll know what to grill him with tomorrow!  Thanks.

Connection Expert
EG

AE4Q wrote:

Just a thought though, we are in an all-Fiber neighborhood except for the drop from the terminal to the house. My friend does not. Do you?

FWIW, that would be pretty rare if it is at all true. Most distribution is done via coaxial trunk lines to the neighborhood clients from the local neighborhood node device (media converter) where the fiber line terminates.

Contributor
AE4Q

If noted you'll notice I said the neighborhood....about 750 homes.... IS fiber. I don't know what feeds the neighborhood but I'd guess it is also fiber with the speeds I'm getting.
(It's even faster without the router) Coax is passé, It's being replaced with fiber. The world is going digital. Even the retirement community I left 5 years ago was all-fiber with a
DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) in the basement of each building. So you see, it's not all that rare today. Ride up and down thoroughfare and we see big spools of fiber being
buried. Even the main backbone coax and microwave to the West Coast from Atlanta for AT&T has been replaced by fiber for 25+ years I believe.
Extremely rare, I think not! Maybe where you live!
Contributor
bcgoods

Well, here is what I learned.  Our "market" does not have the capability to attain download speeds of any higher than 30, with typical being the 21-25 that I am getting. Same off the modem and the router, if I hard wire to them.  And all this time thinking that I was getting "blast", and they are surely wanting to keep it that way so they can justify the charges for it.  He suggested I get a better router, that I have the basic model.  The fiber optic lines here run only along the major corridors, and so I am probably 2 miles from it at the least.  They will check the outside lines and connections again, probably just to passify me.  Any suggestions on a router that will help my situation would be appreciated!

Connection Expert
EG

AE4Q wrote:
Extremely rare, I think not! Maybe where you live!

Sorry, that is incorrect. For the Comcast nationwide system, FTTP (Fiber To The Premises) is very rare. It would cost them mega $$$ to replace the so called *last mile* coax infrastructure with fiber lines and the related hardware / equipment...

Contributor
AE4Q

I feel like I'm posting too much on here! But, you asksed about routers. I do have some experience with several brands and I really don't have one brand that I would recommend over the other. We presently are using a Netgear N600. It works just fine and covers the house very well. It may be overkill because it is a dual band router...2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz bands. I believe all of us are using the 2.4 Ghz so the 5 Ghz goes mostly unused. Netgear does have an N300 single band and I just found they have a 2.4 Ghz N-150 for only $29.95 at Walmart. It's rating is 4 stars. I have never used one. (I have no stock in Netgear!) Just be sure that you get one that operates with the EEE 802.11N technology. There are a 

few on the market that supports the 802.11AC technology but not many have devices supporting it.

I've learned the next to be available next year is the 802.11AD that will be a tri-band router using 'way up in the 60Ghz band with a claimed throughput of 7 Gbps! Apparently everybody now wants WiFi so that committee that approves the technologies. If you want to know more than you really want go to Wikipedia and search for IEEE 802.11.

All this WiFi desire would probably come to an end if AT&T, Verison's, T-Mobile, etc would stop charging such prices for their Data Plans!

I hope I'm through.....but.....

Contributor
AE4Q

EG,  I'm very sorry I've butted heads with you. I had no intention. I just noticed that you are a "connections expert" and I not and make no such claims.  BUT!

I think you'll find that I have made NO caims about Comcast's Nationwide Service..I'm certainly

not qualified for that. I do know what we have here and that is all I  can or intend to make remarks about.

We must, from what you say, be in a RARE environment here for which I'm very thankful!.

I don't know where or for whom you are a "connection expert" but I'm sorry to learn that Comcast isn't

expanding the RARE condition we have here.

Thanks Comcast!  I expect though that I'll find that the developer of this neighborhood was responsible for the fiber within the subdivision.

Connection Expert
EG

No worries ! :smileycool:  Absolute statements are seldom productive..

New Visitor
zootyzoot

We received the new modem/router from Comcast and have not been able to hold WiFi signals on any devices (they are all Apple devices, so I don't know if non-Apple products would produce the same problem).  I was on the phone with Comcast all morning and was ultimately bounced to some "premium" service that wanted $14.95 to diagnose and fix my problem.  I refused to participate, and they transferred me back to Comcast.  At that point, I asked them to discontinue my service as of the next billing cycle.  Then they appeared to snap into action.  The customer service "executive" (that's THEIR euphemism) promised to get a technician on the line, but as soon as she came back with the technician, she disconnected me.  I am done with Comcast.

New Visitor
Mikel9444

I spent 6 hrs and got 8 different technicians on the phone...  when i finally was proposed to be charged for "Executive" service I blew my stack....  my internet is working, router is working... they changed something on my modem and now my device which has been working on this same comcast account for 2 year suddenly stops working...   so after reading this forum, I tried connecting an old router up to my shiney new router and it instantly started working...  so the new equipment won't route my packets but the old equipment will... glad I didn't have to pay to find that out....  thanks for the tips guys... if you are having problems with the new routers/modems... try bridging in your old equipment... it did wonders to solve my issue.  BTW, customer service didn't offer this suggestion once... just wanted to charge me more money... $$

New Visitor

Thanks to this thread on this forum, no unnecessary calls to Comcast "customer service" were needed.  Just linked old router to new modem/router and presto, iphone/itouch now connect; so does my daughter's cell phone.  Relieved it didn't take all day!

Connection Expert
JamesR

Glad you had a good experience.

New Visitor
Tmelch

[ Edited ]
Same problem here..... After a bunch of phone calls and getting nowhere with them I decided to check on here .....and thank you everyone!!
I hooked up my old modem and everything works great now.... and I did not even have to have it bridged.
UPDATE: now my cable has been affected....when my 2nd router is connected, my picture freezes and pixilates intermittently....will bridging the comcast device fix this?
New Visitor
Phinz

Same issue here. Very frustrated! Luckily I have not returned the older modem/router and I will try and set it back to what it was.

Contributor
bcgoods

Since my original post about speed issues on our internet, I have had probably 4 technicians out.  The latest was a guy to install the new Xfinity X1 cable boxes.  He also had a new wireless modem/router, which the sales person told me MIGHT help the speed on my internet.  The technician, after hearing what my problem was, said he had heard many complaints about this new modem/router, specifically signals being dropped all the time!  AND that the speeds are actually slower, so he suggested and I agreed to keep my setup as is!  Interesting to hear these complaints, and having the technician admit to the problems.  Whew, glad I didn't go with that, and hope you work it out.

Visitor
sheldylyn

Just installed Aris TG862G today.  Seemed that everything was working great until 4 members of the family on computers at same time experienced VERY slow internet speeds.  In addition, iphones stopped sending imessages and service kept dropping out.

I want to know if anyone has removed the new modem/router and re-installed the old modem and seperate router.  My old modem from Comcast and my Airport Extreme worked Significantly faster and better than this new fancy modem/router combo.

Is it possible to install my Airport Extreme to the new modem/router?  Can I just do this and see if it works?

Please advise if anyone has tried either of these methods.

Speedtest results: PING 14ms /Download speed 56.97 mbps / Upload 11.34 mbps

Contributor
AE4Q

Sheldylyn, if you will look back at the previous posts under this topic you'lll find that a number of others have had the problem of mobile devices dropping out when used with Comcast's new modem/router. You will find that they have successfully added their old router and used it's WiFi capabilities. Some of 

us have had to request Comcast to put their service in the 'bridged" mode while others have not.

As I understand it, Comcast is aware of this problem. I can't address your Airport Extreme query. I don't even know what it is. Perhaps someone else and reply to it.

New Visitor
kohl1030

FIXED PRBLEM!!! None of my apple devices would connect to my newly installed comcast xfinity router and if you are reading this then you know that comcast response is that it is not their problem. I dug up 1 of my old belkin wireless routers that was in the attic. I plugged it in the back of the xfinity router( there are several extra plugs) and i can connec to the internet flawlessly all over my house. I know that you shouldnt have to use an additional router but this was my quick fix solution.  Knnow that it is the router, there is some sort of flaw in it. This was the only way I found it to work

New Visitor
kohl1030

I had the same problem and set up the bridge,worked like a charm.. THanks

Connection Expert
JamesR

Glad you got it going.  When you bridge the comcast device, then your personal modem is doing the Network Address translation.  Without the bridging of the comcast device, then you are doing Double NAT whch is not a good thing.

New Visitor
Broach

Having the same issues of wifi dropping. Comcast just came out today and installed a net gear to the Arris. Tech said he hadn't heard of this issue before but in reading all the threads here, its a common issue they have had for over a year at least. No problem when hard wired but none of my other laptops, printer, iPhone or iPad was staying connected wireless. Will see if this patch is a permanent solution or if after a while the old problem of losing wifi resurfaces.
Contributor
Motwins

Why, why, oh why did I switch from Verizon?!?!? Seriously NEVER had a problem with verizon! Then comcast came ringing my bell with an offer I tried to refuse...Should have listened to my gut.... Ugh
Visitor
Speedb

I had a similar problem with my Android. It turned out that my phone ended up on the managed device list and was being blocked. I removed it and I haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps someone.

New Visitor
danebo

...comcast may claim to have the best service in America, however EVERYTIME I call I get rerouted to india, mexico or pakistan.not such good service there.

New Visitor
scigrl

What is double NAT?  I am so glad to find this thread. Validation!!! I have been having a horrible experience with Comcast.  6 weeks after my transfer, 14 calls, 2 technician visits with another scheduled and I am still having problems with almost every component of my install.  We have never been able to use more than one device with our WiFi.  My son logged in his PC laptop first and nothing else would accept the password.  Comcast reset it and I was able to log in the Kindle and laptop but when I had to push the WPS button to log in the BlueRay player, the laptop crashed (my son was using it at the time).  After that the password wasn't recognized by any other device.  We also have an iphone and a Kindle.  I finally pulled out the little Netgear router from my previous residence and discovered directions to plug it into the back of the Gateway. Now everything works fine but I dread having to call them back for the 15th time.  What is the harm in leaving as is? 

Connection Expert
EG

scigrl wrote:

What is double NAT?   

Google is your friend ! :smileywink:

https://www.google.com/search?q=double+NAT&rlz=1C1CHHJ_enUS383&oq=double+NAT&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61...    <<<<<Clickable link.

Unless you are cascading two routing devices, you don't have that condition.

New Visitor
RokuGirl

This really makes me mad. Because I am having the same issues. Not with my iPhone, but with my Wi-Fi in general on my Laptop. Though I do have my several smartphones in the house connected. I am not sure which types my son and his friends have.

I work from home and my connection keeps dropping. It happens while I am in documents, in conference calls, in programs, these things don't save and it sometimes takes 5 or more minutes to get back online. This affects my work, especially If I lose what wasn't saved, or if I miss out on what was said on a conference call. It is unprofessional. If my situation doesn't work for the company they will hire someone else or make me work in the office which kills my back after 6 surgeries.

To see all of these posts as far back as 2010 since these modems were first used is utterly ridiculous. When I heard that I was getting an upgraded modem/router I thought how awesome, since I was about to buy a new modem anyway. But now I wish I would have done just that and not gotten this new one. What a piece of junk.

Visitor
Yogadad

I have issues with my VPN going out after a very short amount of connection time. I can log-in just fine and am able to connect to the server at my office. But within 20 minutes or so, the connection disappears and the only way I can reconnect is to reboot. I do remain connected to the Internet throughout so that's not a problem. It doesn't seem to be a problem with my office's VPN software because others in the office use it without problem. They use other ISPs.

I don't work at home very day so this is fairly minor annoyance, and I haven't had the fortitude to deal with Comcast's support system.

New Visitor
wacksmj1

are you finding that this still works?  We were told it was just a modem as well, and have our own router that we wish to use.  Do you think the bridging is being done now, or do you need to call several times to have it completed?  Thanks

New Visitor
wacksmj1

do you have your router plugged in to the ethernet in the back of the new modem/router?  Is it still working and do you have to call them or will it set up automatically?  Thanks!