New Visitor
Nocstar
Accepted Solution

New modem wireless or wireless router?

My current configuration is an RCA telephony modem (from Comcast, no wireless) to a D-Link model DIR-655 wireless router to a Dell PowerConnect Mod. 2608 1Gb/s 8-port LAN switchbox and then to my network.

I have received a replacement modem from Comcast (technicolor TC8305C, telephony and wireless capable). My question is: Should I use the wireless capability of the modem and delete the wireless router or should I keep the D-Link router and disable the wireless option on the modem? Performance and security are the prime priorities.

Thank you for your assistance.

New Visitor
chirawat

Re: New modem wireless or wireless router?

[ Edited ]

I have Comcast-provided modem Alaris TG862G and also used to have DLink DL-655 which developed periodic disconnect issue after couple years of use.  I found the Comcast modem to have more limited functionalities such as no quality of service (QoS) prioritization between connected devices, limited security settings (no finer grains, only 3-4 broad levels).  Signal is also weaker farther from the modem.  If your Comcast-provided modem/router is like mine and your DLink is working fine, I'd suggest disable the router function and use your existing one.  It's isn't a bad product, it's just that a dedicate router such as the DLink would have much more useful settings such as QoS, etc.  If you don't mind missing such things and the weaker signal (such as living in a small house), it's perfectly OK.

Connection Expert
EG

The CC supplied gateway(s) should be put in to FULL bridge mode by them (only CC can do this remotely) so that they act only as straight cable modems with which you use your own high quality router. Daisy chaining two routing devices is not a good idea.

New Visitor
Nocstar

The bridging solution works fine. I am using my D-Link wireles router with no problems.