Contributor
ruscottm

New modem wont let me connect via wifi

:smileysilly:lease help my upgraded voice and high speed modem came today set up went fine I can connect to internet though my desk top PC but when I try to connect via wifi I get error message authentication error occurred can any please tell my why this is happening and how to fix it.

Thank you

:smileyhappy:

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: New modem wont let me connect via wifi

Hello,

Sure we would be glad to help you but from what you described we can't help you because you have not provided any detail info.

Networking Expert
kevj

There may be a sticker on the new unit with a Wifi SSID and password on it, which you will have to enter on your WiFi devices.

If there is no sticker, did you set it up ourself, or did a Comcast tech do it for you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
ruscottm

Put the info from the stickers  followed all the directions comcast gave me how settings set to low secterity also on the modem the only light that is not on is the wifi light

Networking Expert
kevj

Are you WiFi devices seeing your WiFi network? Is the SSID of your router appearing in your available networks list?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Official Employee
ComcastMattV

I would hit the reset button on the back of the modem which will factory rest the modem. Here is a link to do step by step set up. If you are still having issues please repost any error you are getting. Also the model of the modem/router from comcast. If this did help you resolve please mark as solution as this is great appreciated.

Thank you

Comcastmattv
Contributor
rshawdee87

I have seen an authentication error and this is how i fixed it.  This may or may not be your problem depending on the type of network, but its worth a shot.

What you want to do is open the properties of the wireless network.  In windows XP this can be done by right clicking the wireless icon, going to View Available wireless networks, then on the left hit "Change Advanced settings.

Go to the Wireless Networks Tab, Select your network near the bottom, then hit properties.

In the new window, go to the authentication tab and make sure the first box is Unchecked.

This solved the error msg "Windows could not authenticate you on this network" or something along those lines.

Hope this helps

New Visitor
jmbd143

ruscottm, I just read your post and I am currently going through the samething.  Got new modem the other day, set it up today and now my wifi wont work.  Did you ever find out how to fix this?