New Visitor
cmomusicman
Accepted Solution

No Internet through wireless router

I am unable to connect to the internet through my wireless router.  It is a Linksys WRT54G, and I have tried all of the possible combinations of power cycling the modem, router, and PC, as well as removing the battery back up on the modem, several different setup options on the router (clone MAC address, release/renew DHCP, etc.) and I am simply at a loss to figure out how to get this thing to work.  I just had Comcast/Xfinity installed, adn my router worked just fine with Bright House's modem...so what gives?  Any usable help would be appreciated...

Recognized Contributor
sabretooth

Re: No Internet through wireless router

Networking Expert
kevj

First of all, you need to determine where the connection is failing.

What make and model of modem please?

When you connect the router to the modem and power everything up, is the router getting an IP address on its WAN port? If so, the connectionto the modem is working OK,assuming the IP addrss is in a Comcast public subnet.

If you do not get an IP on the WAN port, connect your computer directly to the modem, and try again, following the recommended reboot procedures.

If you get a public IP on you computer, and can browse the internet, but cannot get one on the router, then there may be a problem with the routers WAN port, or the cable you are using to connect the router to the modem (if it isn't the same cable you connected the computer tothe modem with)

If you CAN get a public IP on the router, but still cannot connect to the internet from your computer, you will have to tell us how you are connecting the computer to the router. Wired or wireless?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

New Visitor
cmomusicman

The modem make and model is:  Arris TM502G

The router is getting an IP address, seen in the Status tab of the router setup screen.

With the computer connected directly to the modem, I am able to browse the internet.  (Connected this way currently)

I am using the same cable to connect the modem to the computer that I do to connect the modem to the router.

With the router connected to the modem, I am unable to browse the internet with this computer and a wired connection to the router, or another computer with a wireless connection to the router.

THe "Link" LED on the modem flashes continually whether connected directly to the computer, or to the router.

Networking Expert
kevj

Let's restrict testing to your computer that you wire to the router, to take any possible wireless issues out of the equation.

If the router is getting an IP address from Comcast, there should be a default gateway listed in the router status page. Can you ping it from your computer when the router is in line?

I assume you get the router status info from the wired computer, so there is connectivity between the computer and the router. If you cannot ping the default gateway listed in the router status page, find the page in the router setup that allows you to clone your MAC address. There should be a button to 'Clone my computer's MAC address'. Click it, then save the router config, and do the powercycle dance again...see if you have connectivity. Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't need to do this,if you are powercycling everything correctly, so if this works, it may indicate that you are not....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

For curiosty, when you remove the backup battery, are you also removing the A.C. power cord at the same time and waiting at least five minutes ? Also, you say that you've tried all kinds of powercycling stuff, have you ever tried using the recessed reset button on the rear of the Arris modem while it is powered up and holding it in long enough to see the indicator lights on the front begin to cycle ?

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

Power cycling the router will not change the previously stored configuration, and based on the version wrt54g router (there are well over a dozen versions of this router), this can be found on the bottom of the unit) it may not automatically update.  The IP address that you see in the router may well be from your last internet service.

*The version wrt54g is definitely important, as capabilities and set up routines have changed based on version over the years.

I recommend using the rest button (usually a small recessed button that you hold down with a pen tip while the router is powered) and setting it up from scratch.

If you are not comfortable setting up the router via its embedded web page, utilize the installation software that came with the router. If you do not have it, it is easy enough to go to the linksys support site:

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/WRT54G-TM/download

Enter the version, and available downloads including installation software, firmware updates, user guides,  etc. will be shown.

By the way, while doing this, I would recommend ensuring that you have the most current firmware installed.

As your router worked with your previous internet service, there should be little difficulty using it with comcast.

BTW, not trying to sell you a router...but, the new EA series of Linksys routers (they have just hit the stores) are incredibly easy to set up compared to previous generations. I could get my 82 year old mom to set up one of these with Cisco's easy-connect, and she knows nothing about networking. They do not even need to be wired to your computer during set-up.

Connection Expert
EG

PeteC2 wrote:

The IP address that you see in the router may well be from your last internet service.

Huh ? WAN (public) ?

New Visitor
cmomusicman

The setup page was showing the Comcast domain name...dunno if that means the IP should have updated with it or not...

Tried to get new firmware 2 days ago, it said there was no update available...

The Linksys advisor software and my computer's network status screen both said I was connected to the internet..just was unable to browse.  I suspect that the router was locked into the old DNS addresses...if not the old IP.  After much weeping and gnashing of teeth, I decided to cut my losses and get a new router...the Netgear N300 I am using now works just fine.

New Visitor
Vis1

I have the WRT54G-TM wireless router.  I followed the directions given in the link given by sabretooth (http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&login=1&app=search&vw=1&articleid=3686).  Actually just did the MAC ID cloning - used the id of the wired ethernet connection port to which I had connected the ethernet cable when activating the account, and from which I could access the internet.  Saved the settings, unplugged the ethernet cable from the PC and connected it to the WR54G-TM, clicked on the status tab in the wireless configuration page (I had previously set the internet connection type under the Setup tab to Automatic configuration - DHCP).  Voila, all the entries were populated correctly, the internet is working, and I am posting this!  Thanks a bunch, sabretooth!