Contributor
Accepted Solution

Nook and wi-fi with Linksys wireless router

Need help connecting Nook to wi-fi set up at home. I have a linksys WRT54G2 V1 wireless router. Registered the Nook at B&N and was told to try linking up at home again. Used the password set up by the Geek Squad as well as the WPA shared key - still does not work. B&N said to contact my ISP for help.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Nook and wi-fi with Linksys wireless router

You have a wireless router and I assume that you have other devices attached to the router that are getting out to the internet? 

Is the Nook pulling an IP address in the range 192.168.1.X ?

Networking Expert
Baric

Also check the router to see if it is doing MAC filtering.  If so, you will need to add the Nook's wireless MAC address to the list of allowed MAC addresses in the router.

Contributor

yes, we have a desktop pc and a laptop that pull the Internet just fine. I am not sure how to determine if the Nook is pulling the same IP address range. thanks

Contributor

I am not sure how to add the Nook's wireless MAC address. thanks

Networking Expert
Baric

Anon805559 wrote:

yes, we have a desktop pc and a laptop that pull the Internet just fine. I am not sure how to determine if the Nook is pulling the same IP address range. thanks

See your Nook user manual, depending on model the method varies slightly.

Networking Expert
Baric

Anon805559 wrote:

I am not sure how to add the Nook's wireless MAC address. thanks

First get the Nook's wireless MAC address, see your manual, or this link.  Once you have that, login onto your router at http://192.168.1.1 (or whatever your router's IP address is), and go to the Wireless -> Wireless MAC Filter page tell us what it says.  If it is Enabled and Permit only is checked, then press the Edit MAC Filter List button and add the MAC address you got above into the list and press the Save Settings button. 

If the filter is disabled, then your problem is elsewhere.

Also, the Nook support site has this to say about Connected but no Internet issues:

1. Go to Settings and tap on Wireless. Then tap on the button in the top right corner to turn off your Wi-Fi. Wait for a minute and then turn on your Wi-Fi. This will refresh the wireless connectivity of your device. 

2. If you are still experiencing problems, press and hold the power button for 5-7 seconds until a pop-up message appears and tap on Power Off to completely turn off your NOOK. Wait for a minute or two and press and hold the power button for 2 seconds to turn on your NOOK. 

3. Click on the following link www.nook.com/update to check for any software updates and download the latest update for NOOK. It's easy, just follow the step by step instructions on that page.

4. If these steps do not help, please call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK. 

Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions - the MAC filter is disabled and I now at least know not to pursue that angle any further. I called B&N support as well as tried the steps suggested below. Several chatters have expressed that it is a waste to call Linksys. I am at a loss.

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Did you try the suggestions from B&N?  If so, please provide the following infomration:

1. Exact model of Nook

2. SSId on the router

3. Exact type of wireless encryption setup on the router

4. Are you sure of the wireless password?

5. Exact network and wireless settings as displayed by the Nook

In all likelyhood, the problem is #4, the wireless password is not exactly what you think it is, or it was entered incorrectly.  In the absence of MAC filtering, wierd network settings on the Nook, and the fact that the laptop works wirelessly, it seems the most likely candidate.  The way to make sure is to go into the router setup and change the password to whatever you want so you know what it is exactly.  Then use that password to connect the Nook and the laptop.

Contributor

I have been reluctant to change the password - there is one for the local router access password and the other is the WPA shared key - which one do I change? thanks again!

Connection Expert
EG

It's the latter.

Contributor

I changed the WPA shared key and still could not connect - Nook tells me incorrect password. I appreciate your help - thanks again.

Networking Expert
Baric

Without the specific information I've requested, I can't be of much help.

Contributor

This is what I know:

1. Exact model of Nook

This is the latest Nook - just came out on June 10th. Not color!

2. SSId on the router

OWNER-PC_Network

3. Exact type of wireless encryption setup on the router

I am not sure what the wireless encryption would be.

4. Are you sure of the wireless password?

One was created by the Geek Squad and the WPA Shared Key is available online. Our son used the Geek Squad password to link up his laptop without problems.

5. Exact network and wireless settings as displayed by the Nook

The Nook picks up the OWNER-PC_Network secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK

Networking Expert
Baric

Exact model of Nook means give me the model number.

OK, we have hte SSID and you say the Nook sees this SSID.  The Nooks seems to lump WPA and WPA2 PSK in the smae lump which is mkeas it confusing.

Go into the router setup again and tell us everything that's on the Wireless tab and subtabs.  What I mean by wireless encryption is what encryption method the router has configured to use to talk to wireless device.  It will be something like WEP, WPA PSK, WPA2 PSK, etc.  Each encryption scheme has its own password type.  For WPA and WPA2, the passphrase is string or phrase consisting of 8 or more characters, numbers, and symbols and is case sensitive.

If your son successfully setup his laptop with a wireless connection to the router, then this "Geek Squad password" is the wireless password, and that's what you should call it.  On the Nook, you would use this same wireless password when the Nook tries to connect to OWNER-PC_Network.  Remember that it is case sensetive when you enter it into the Nook, so "a" is different from "A", etc and mind your spaces and symbols exactly.

Contributor

Another thought - if I enable MAC filtering and add the MAC addresses for each computer and the NOOK would that help? Or does that affect other things as well? I suppose then If someone else needed to use the network, I would then have to add the MAC address for that computer. Thanks. I am about ready to return the nook to B&N and go back to the library.

Contributor

I give up. I tried to download ePub books from the library ( was successful) but my PC refused to recognize the Nook device so I could not download from the PC to the Nook. Did a search and found yet another set of long chats and forums for the same issue with various degrees of success. The Nook is going back to B&N today. Thanks for your help.

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

If you setup MAC filtering, I don't think it would help here.  It's a limiting mechanism, not a way to resolve problems.  And yes, if you wanted to add a new wireless device you would need to add its MAC address to the table for it to work.

I'm sorry we couldn't help you get the Nook hooked up.  I also saw many sites with Nook issues, but to be fair, a great deal of them seemed to be user type errors, although that does not seem to be the case here.  It's possible the device was malfunctioning in some respect, you might have better luck with a replacement, but that's up to you.

While I don't have an Amazon Kindle myself (I just use the Kindle app on my iPad), some family members do and are very happy with them.  Possibly a viable alternative for you.

Good luck.

Connection Expert
EG

MAC addy filtering is easily cracked as well as is the weak WEP encryption scheme.

New Visitor

yesterday my nook was connected to the internet and working fine...now it says connection issues ..."turn off MAC filtering on wireless access point or router  or "add Nook MAC address....what does this mean

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

If it was working and you did not turn on MAC filtering on the router, then you need to look elsewhere.  Try changing the wireless channel on the router, you may be getting wireless interference.  Also try deleting and recreating the wireless connection on the Nook.  Might also try rebooting the router and if all that fails, then you need to start providing details like router used, how it's setup, etc. 

New Visitor

I did all of that and it still does not work.  It was working, it stopped.  I finally went to the store and they traded and gave me a new one.  It still does not work.  The Nook starts the authentication process, then it goes to being DISABLED, secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK.  What is going on.  my wifi worked for six months!