Contributor
moshplant

Only direct connect works, no routers

Since Sunday (6/12/11) my cable modems will no longer work with routers. For several years I've had a small home network set up using a wireless MS router connected to my Comcast-provided Motorola cable modem. The network was extended through the house by an Apple AirPort Express connected to the MS router, an Xbox was connected by wire to the MS router, and an AirPort Express in my office linked to a Netopia router there for printing and a couple of older computers that didn't have wireless capability.

Since Sunday morning, the only connection I have is if I hook my laptop by wire directly to a cable modem. Initially I suspected the MS router was to blame, since it was the direct link to the cable modem, but I've tried both of the AirPort routers connected to the wireless modem and while I can see them from the computer and the light on both the cable modem and router indicate a connection has been made, there's no passthrough of data from the modem to the computer through the router.

I've tried power cycling the cable modem (and everything else after each configuration change. I've swapped out the cable modem for a new model. No luck. My only connection is via Ethernet cable to the cable modem.

Does anyone have words of wisdom?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Only direct connect works, no routers

Strange stuff! You have swap out the modem and the router. Seems like the only thing left would be the cable. Are you using a different cable when you connect up the laptop?
Contributor
moshplant

I used different cables to connect each of the routers to the cable modem and yet another cable to direct-connect the computer. 

There are a couple of similar posts on the forum from earlier in the month in completely different cities (one with Netgear routers) where the user posted that they suddenly had no more networking capability but could connect the computer directly to the cable modem. This seems almost like some sort of IP assignment issue where a software change is no longer allowing devices connected through the router to get a number.

Networking Expert
Baric

I'm certainly not following your description, it's too general and device descriptions too vague.  You say
my cable modems" as in plurual.  Is that a typoe or do you ahve multiple cable modems in use at the same location?  We need exact ddevice information here.  describe your actual modem model(s) as well as all routers and how everything is connected.

When you tired direct connecting one of the Airports (what kind of Airport) to the cable modem, how did you power cycle the modem?  did you reset the router to factory default?  It sounds like it was inin WAP mode as opposed to a router before, which means it won't function properly unless you reconfigure it.

Then you mention a wireless modem, are you referring to some kind of cable gateway?

Contributor
moshplant

Here is what I had as a functional home network prior to Sunday:

1) Comcast-supplied Motorola cable modem

2) Microsoft MN-500 Wireless Base Station router connected by Ethernet cable to 1.

3) Apple Airport Express Base wireless router connected by Ethernet cable to 2.

4) Xbox 360 connected by Ethernet cable to 2.

5) Apple Airport Express Base wireless router connected wirelessly to 3.

6) Netopia R7500-C router connected by Ethernet cable to 5

various Apple devices connected to wireless network created by 3

That network was working just fine as of Saturday night.

Since Sunday, I've replaced the Motorola cable modem with a more current Ubee.

I can connect directly to the cable modem with an Ethernet device and get an internet connection. But any attempt to connect to the internet via one of the routers—either wirelessly or through an wired connection—fails. If I hook up one of the Airports to the cable modem, I can connect from the computer to the Airport wirelessly with a utility tool and see that an IP address is assigned to the router, but I still can't connect to the internet from the computer. If I use one of the routers that allows Ethernet wire connections, none of the devices I attach to the router can connect to the internet, although they work fine connected directly to the cable modem. 

This has effectively shut down the wireless network I had operational for more than three years. 

Connection Expert
JamesR

Are you powercycling /Resetting the Modem each time you connect a different device to it?

Sometimes a modem will have a bad bleeder resistor and won't drop the memorized MAC address.

At that point pull Power, ethernet and coax cable because they can all be a source of power. Let it sit for a few moments to allow the capacitors to bleed off and see if one of the routers will connect up.

If that allows you to attach a router successfully, swap out the modem.

New Visitor
g_sail

I've got the same issue... nothing  will connect to internet, routers ooma etc... only direct laptop ethernet connection works via cable modem.  Tried powercycling everything...

New Visitor
BNorth123

I'm having a similiar problem.  I have a Comcast supplied cable modem (Arris) hooked up to a netgear wndr3700 router.  Running Windows 7 on a desktop and laptop.  Desktop is hardwired to the router, the laptop is wireless.  Everything was working until I updated the filmware on the router.  Afterwards, the computers see the router and will connect but have the yellow triangle on the connection and say no internet connection.  When I connect the laptop directly to the router, it works fine.  

I tried running the setup Wizard on the router and it claims I have a static IP and ask for the IP address.  It was setup to automatically get an IP prior. 

Suggestions?

New Visitor

mac cloning

go to this web page http://turbulentsky.com/linksys-routerambit-ubee-u10c018.html 

it worked for me.

also try this

power off the modem and router, and wait a few seconds.

power on the modem and wait about a minute, then power on the router

Networking Expert
Baric

MAC cloning s NOT necessary.  The only reason it works is because you have failed to properly Reset the cable modem.  All MAC cloning does is get around the fact that the modem has not been reset and fool it into thinking the new device is the same one that used to be connected.

Contributor
moshplant

JamesR wrote:

Are you powercycling /Resetting the Modem each time you connect a different device to it?

If that allows you to attach a router successfully, swap out the modem.

Of course, I reset the modem. In fact, as I mentioned in my post, I replaced the modem, which pretty much resets the modem right there. I spent about seven hours on totally useless chats with Comcast "support" tech who always ended up telling me there was something wrong with my router, never managing to explain how I could have sudden router failure on all of the routers on my network, even when they were working fine as local area network routers.

Interestingly enough, today, I tried one of the routers (an old Netopia) I hadn't used hooked up directly to the cable modem last week, running a 50' Ethernet cord into the other room and when I connected my computer to the router (and reset the modem), there was internet access. I went back and connected the original Microsoft MN-500 to the modem (and reset the modem), a wire connection through that router worked. Then I serialed the Apple Airport wireless router to the Microsoft router and I had wireless working again. So basically, I recreated the original setup a week and a day after it went out and everything was working again, even though I'd tried the same setup and individual routers from the network hooked up to the modem all through last week.

So if the routers are fine now without me making any changes to their setup, I think the ball's back in Comcast's court as to why the problem existed in the first place. Of course, they'll probably claim that there was no problem and that I changed something or my routers miraculously healed themselves, but I think someone discovered a setup glitch on the back end that was preventing secondary network devices from transmitting or receiving packets.

Networking Expert
Baric

Actually it sound sto me like you power cycled everything finally and it all started working again.

New Visitor
DStrat

Wow, sounds exactly like what just happened to me on 6/19/2011.

Have a D-Link wireless router connected to Comcast-provided cable modem (think it's an RCA model).  Can connect to my home network with my Toshiba laptop (running Windows 7) - but no wireless internet connection.  Can access internet by cabling the laptop directly to the modem though.  (Talk about inconvenient!)

Of course tried powercycling first but that was no help.  Contacted Comcast support but after having me powercycle, disconnect/reconnect, etc., it still didn't work and they had no more suggestions (only that "it must be your router").  When I run the Windows network/sharing diagnostic, I get a message that the DNS server is not responding.  Have seen in various forums some recommendations on changing DNS server settings, but I've tried that and it hasn't helped.

My router is pretty old, so maybe that's an issue.  But this problem seemed to happen very suddenly, basically out of the blue.  It sounds like a lot of people may be encountering this problem with Windows 7.  Anyone have any other recommendations re: a possible fix?  I'm not very computer-savvy, so some of the troubleshooting things that I've seen that rely heavily on 'tech lingo' are not very helpful...

Networking Expert
Baric

Start your own thread and be specific with actual model numbers, configs, etc.

New Visitor
Seelve

Solution avilable here, it worked for me, option #1 worked for me, please see my reply

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-and-Router-Help/Can-t-connect-to-the-internet-through-m...