Visitor
argondick

Optimal Settings for Motorola SBG6580

I've had a Motorola SBG6580 since moving to the area two months ago.  Setting the feelings and reviews aside, it met my needs.

Being a total noob to networking and seeing all the options available in the setup screen, I feel overwhelmed.  I've taken the default settings for the modem and have been able to setup a new user ID and PW and have disabled NAPT, but in looking for information on what the "optimal settings" are for this modem on Comcast's network - that's where I fall short.

I'd like advice on what basic, advanced, firewall, and wireless options should be looked at and possibly changed.  I essentially have multiple computers, smartphones, and gaming devices on wireless and three devices wired and cabled to the modem. 

What changes should be made?

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Optimal Settings for Motorola SBG6580

When you placed it in bridge mode, you turn off all router features essentially, it's just a plain cable modem now, which kind of defeats the purpuse of such a gateway device.  There are NO user settable options on the cable modem side of the device.  If you want to connect multiple devices, you need to turn NAPT back, confiugure the WAN port for automatic DHCP (which is probably the default setting), then secure the wireless function with WPA2-PSK and set a strong wireless password.

If you are using another router, then leave it in bridge mode, and secure the wireless function on that other router.  I do wonder why you got a gateway if you do this, however...

New Visitor
CAPTAINPIKE57

I have a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 and I live in a high rise apartment and each tenant has their own  Wi-Fi Modem and Router.I am presently on Channel 1 and noticed other tenants are on Channel 6 or Channel 11,according to the scan on InSsider the graph shows I'm  bouncing between 50-53,which is stronger than every one else.I wanted to know if it's better to be on a higher channel for my Wi-Fi settings for my internet.
                               CAPTAINMIKE57

Recognized Contributor
sabretooth

[ Edited ]

You want to stay on the least congested channel, well, 'most' of the time.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7613

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

CAPTAINPIKE57 wrote:

I have a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 and I live in a high rise apartment and each tenant has their own  Wi-Fi Modem and Router.I am presently on Channel 1 and noticed other tenants are on Channel 6 or Channel 11,according to the scan on InSsider the graph shows I'm  bouncing between 50-53,which is stronger than every one else.I wanted to know if it's better to be on a higher channel for my Wi-Fi settings for my internet.
                               CAPTAINMIKE57

There is no issue as long as you are not being over-run by anyone else's network, which apparently you are not, so I would not worry about changing anything.  As long as your devices are not "jumping ship" trying to sign on with a stronger competing signal, you are fine the way you are.

I too am in a fairly large, network-busy apartment complex, but within my apartment, my network is easily dominant, and I have no interference from competing networks.