New Visitor
markgosselin
Accepted Solution

Port Forwarding for an IP Camera

I have an IP camera which I would like to access over the internet.  I have Comcast internet service and Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 modem with current firmware.

I successfully signed up for dynamic DNS service with Dyndns and can route to my Comcast IP address (semi-static, hasn’t changed in over a year, but did DDNS so I wouldn’t have to worry about it in the future).  However, I cannot seem to get port forwarding working on Motorola Surfboard modem to the outside world.

1.      My IP camera has a local IP address 192.168.15.10 on port 80.  I can access it from the browser on any PC in my house.

2.      Under the ‘Port Forwarding’ tab of my SURFboard modem I created the following entry for the camera to my Comcast IP address on port 8081:

LOCAL IP ADDRESS = 192.168.15.10

LOCAL START PORT = 80

LOCAL END PORT = 80

--

EXTERNAL IP ADDRESS = 71.197.XXX.XXX

EXTERNAL START PORT = 8081

EXTRNAL END PORT = 8081

--

PROTOCOL = BOTH (TCP & UDP)

ENABLED = YES

3.      Now, I can enter http://mydomain.dnsalias.com:8081/ into any of my home PC’s and access the camera properly.

4.      However, I can’t access it from any outside internet connection.  I tried several PC’s with different connections – no success.  Using either http://mydomain.dnsalias.com:8081/ or even directly with my current IP address http://71.197.xxx.xxx:8081/.  I’ve also tried ports other than 8081 (such 81, 82) in case Comcast was blocking them (but found a list on the Comcast website indicating they aren’t being blocked).

What am I missing? Is there some other Firewall rule or otherwise in the SURFboard SBG6580 modem that’s stopping it?  Since the ethernet IP camera(Sony DH210) is standalone, the only firewall that should matter is in SBG6580 (not any of my other PC’s).  In the Firewall tab on the modem it says ‘No Ports Restricted’.  I don't see any other settings that seems relevant.

What am I missing?

New Visitor
markgosselin

Re: Port Forwarding for an IP Camera

I just found the answer after searching other forums.  On the SBG6580, you must *not* enter your external IP address in the port forwarding entry.  Instead ... set it to 0.0.0.0 and the router will interpret that as using its own current IP address:

LOCAL IP ADDRESS = 192.168.15.10

LOCAL START PORT = 80

LOCAL END PORT = 80

--

EXTERNAL IP ADDRESS = 71.197.XXX.XXX (ENTERING THE ROUTERS IP ADDRESS HERE DOES NOT WORK!)

EXTERNAL IP ADDRESS = 0.0.0.0 (THIS WORKS)

EXTERNAL START PORT = 8081

EXTRNAL END PORT = 8081

--

PROTOCOL = BOTH (TCP & UDP)

ENABLED = YES

Networking Expert
kevj

Great info...thanks for sharing...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
phillygirl2013

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I was hitting my head against the wall trying to figure this out.

Thanks for sharing!

New Visitor
boseguer1

Hi, that solution above did not work for me.  I am confused on the port thing...but for my Zmodo I think it's port 80.  I set up teh forwarding but when I check if it's open it does not work.   My settings are:

Internal

IP Address 192.168.X.XX

Start Port: 80

End Port: 80

External

IP Addres 0.0.0.0 (left as is)

End Port: 80 (is this correct?)

Prot: Both

Driving me crazy.  My cameras work in my LAN but not outside the home network.

Thanks for helping me out.

Networking Expert
kevj

boseguer1 wrote:

Hi, that solution above did not work for me.  I am confused on the port thing...but for my Zmodo I think it's port 80.  I set up teh forwarding but when I check if it's open it does not work.   My settings are:

Internal

IP Address 192.168.X.XX

End Port: 80

External

IP Addres 0.0.0.0 (left as is)

End Port: 80 (is this correct?)

Prot: Both

Driving me crazy.  My cameras work in my LAN but not outside the home network.

Thanks for helping me out.

When you test, are you really testing from outside your network, or are you using a PC inside your network, and browsing to the external IP? If so, that is probably not going to work, because of the way most routers are configured by default...

Another suggestion would be to change the EXTERNAL port (to something higher that 1025). You can leave the internal port at 80, but when you try to browse to the device from the outside, you will have to use the full URL:smileysilly:ort syntax, i.e. http://<yourexternalIP>:<port#>

Help us to help you!!

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
ridgerunner48

I’m confused on the port thing also.

I have the Foscam IP cam. I originally set it up with my Linksys  E1200 router. The camera was working fine, and I could access it remotely, until I got the new Xfinity Arris TG862 modem/router. Now I am unable to access through my external address (WAN). I can view it through my LAN IP address.  Apparently  I am just missing a step somewhere. I went to yougetsignal.com and the port forwarding tester says the all my ports are closed. No matter what I try, the ports seem to be blocked. My port forwarding worked fine until the Arris was added. (Am no longer trying to use the Linksys, only the arris now)  Can anyone help me with Foscam setup for remote access?

Networking Expert
kevj

Try setting the firewall in the Arris gateway to a lower security level. I would advise against switching it off completely though.

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
ridgerunner48

[ Edited ]

My Arris gateway is already on lowest setting.

I did however find an error in my gateway config. So now I do have port forwarding working when I use one of the open port checkers. But still can not access the camera remotely

Networking Expert
kevj

When you try to connect to the casmera, you are using a device outside your LAN, right? You are not trying to access the public IP from a device on your network?

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
ridgerunner48

Yes I am away from my LAN (10:0:0:xx) when I try to access the camera.  Although on my iPod , I can connect to the camera when at home. My remote is (WAN IP) 76.127.xx.xxx:8090 on the remote app config. The app I am using is “CamViewer” which worked fine prior to the Arris gateway. Odd thing is however, I also used an app called “iCamViewer” and now I can’t even get the iCamViewer’ to access the camera on my LAN. Port 80 is showing to be open when I test it.

Networking Expert
kevj

There are a lot of other posts about people having problems with port forwarding on the Comcast gateways. Some seem to get it working by lowering the firewall securitysetting on the gateway to it's minimum, ad others don't. I don'tthink anyone has figured out why yet. The only other advice I can give you is to have the Arris gateway put in full bridge mode,and use your own router to provide WiFi signal and configureport forwarding on it. You will have to call in to the Comcast help line to get the gateway put inbridge mode.

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
ridgerunner48

I don't mind using my router for only the ip camera, but if I understand bridge mode correctly I'd have to run my LAN on it too. If there is a way to just connect the camera to my router, that would be find. But I really want to run the other devices I have on the Arris.
Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

So wait, you have two routers on your network, your own AND the Arris gateway? If so, please describe exactly how they are connected...

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
ridgerunner48

No, I only am using the Arris TG862 gateway

I have a Linksys E1200 router, which is currently not connected to my LAN. I used the Linksys E1200 router when I had the previous Comcast modem, prior to obtaining the Arris TG862 gateway. So, now I am attempting to only use the Arris TG862 gateway. I do wonder however, if port triggering might be a solution. I have not attempted any port triggering on the Arris TG862 gateway, as I am not sure what to add in the fields for triggering..ie trigger port and target port, etc.

Networking Expert
kevj

Port truggering isn't the way to go. It is usually used for games or applications that may need to initiate a connection back to a server on the internet. A network camera doesn't need to do that.

One thing you may want to try, if you haven't already, is setting a static LAN IP on your camera, instead of letting it use DHCP to get it's address, then port forward to the static IP.

The other possibility (and I don't have an Arris gateway, so I don't know this for sure) is that the gateway could be blocking the protocols used by the camera. I have a Foscam unit, and I know it uses ActiveX and Quicktime (RTSP I think), for browser viewing. I am not a MAC/Apple person, so I am not sure what protocols the iPhone/iPad apps use, so you might poke around in the router to see if there are any toggles to support those types of protocols.

I am not sure what reasons you have for wanting to use your Arris specifically for the other wireless devices on your network, but the incidence of problems with the Comcast gateways that users have reported on these boards is why I recommended using your own router and bridging the Arris.

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
ridgerunner48

I suppose my basic reason for wanting to use the Arris TG862 gateway for all my devices is that, it should be able to handle them and eliminate the need for bridging another router. I feel fairly certain I can correct my Foscam issue if I went the bridging route. And I may have to fall back on that as a solution one day. But at least for now I’d like to find a way to just use the Arris TG862 gateway. In theory the Arris TG862 gateway should work and I’m just not ready to give up on trying, just yet. And if I am lucky enough to poke around and stumble on a solution, I’ll be glad to post it here so others with similar problems can benefit from it.

As for static IP, I followed the Comcast guideline for doing same; and, I believe I have that done. At least it appears so. The Xfinity Arris TG862 gateway user guide is sketchy at best, so that is just making it more time consuming to complete the task at hand.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Who knows, one day, perhaps someone else or myself will figure it out.

Networking Expert
kevj

I think you find that it is an inherent problem with the custom firmware that Comcast installs on these devices, and nothing the end user is going to fix. We have been trying to help people with the same problems since Comcast started using these gateays, with no real luck. Just because something SHOULD be capable of doing something, doesn't mean it IS. Using you own router and bridging the gateway will give YOU control over what you do with your network...

Help us to help you!!

Connection Expert
EG

HEAR HEAR kevj !!!

Visitor

Thanks Kevj

New Visitor
Danny254

Thanks a ton, this is he correct solution for Motorola router. After spending hours, came to this forum and tried forwarding address 0.0.0.0 and it worked. Awesome.

New Visitor
Ianp

Thank you!  Privacy is very important to me and I want to help other people stay annonymous on the internet by seting up a Tor Relay using Vidalia, but was having problems setting up port forwarding on my Motorola SBG6580 SurfBoard.  It would always say that the ORPort and DirPort could not be reached.  Entering 0.0.0.0 as the external IP has solved the problem and now my Tor Relay is working!  Thanks!

New Visitor
Ellisjames

Thanks for sharing this configuration correction for port forwarding the Motorola model SBG 6580.
You turned out to be the only person who was able to figure this out for me.
Well done !
New Visitor
Rdelgado0229

Thank you for sharing your resolution. Worked for me also. Appreciate having found this page.