Contributor
burningchrome

Port Forwarding on SMCD3GNV gateway does not work!

Before the Deracho killed my D-Link router, port forwarding worked flawlessly. Now that I've "upgraded" to the Comcast SMCD3GNV gateway, none of my port forwards work. Also the interface that gateway uses is different than what is shown in the manual. The manual shows public and private ports while my interface only shows the public starting and ending ports. What's up with that? Do I need to upgrade the firmware? So far telephone and chat help have been useless. Has anybody else been able to get port forwarding to work with this gateway?

Contributor
burningchrome

Re: Port Forwarding on SMCD3GNV gateway does not work!

I've done some testing with some "port forwarding" sites and they confirm that the ports are open but I still cannot connect to the servers from the internet. Connecting to my webserver times out and trying to RDP to my servers say the computer cannot be found. I've disabled the firewall on the gateway and that did nothing at all to help. Not sure what to try now.

Networking Expert
kevj

Go buy yourself a decent router, and call 1-800-363-2416 to have the Comcast gateway put in bridge mode.

If you search these boards, you'll find plenty of posts complaining aboout the same thing or other issues with those devices, and the same advice given almost every time...

---------------------------------------
Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
burningchrome

Not the answer I was looking for but I'm beginning to believe it's the only way to get this fixed.

Sigh.....

Contributor
burningchrome

The port forwarding works when I use my cell phone to access the server but nothing else seems to be able to access the server. Very bizarre!

Thank you Comcast.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

Well...perhaps Comcast should know better...but...frankly, wireless gateways are universally poor solutions when it comes to router functionality.  Some folks make out okay with them, but the problems far, far exceed the successes.

I had dsl for over 10 years, and the 2-Wire gateway that AT&T championed was a major-league piece of junk.  I simply have yet to be shown that you can combine modem and router functionality in one chassis and have a quality unit.

Buy a decent router (not a bargain-basement model, regardless of brand!), have Comcast bridge your gateway, and life will become a whole bunch easier...at least as far as your home network is concerned!

Contributor
burningchrome

Ok. Thanks for the info Pete.

Everybody/anyone, what routers have been successful in working with the SMCD3GNV gateway and have been successful in getting port forwarding operational? (I'm using port forwarding for RDP and HTTP.

Many thanks,

Brian

Visitor

why is not comcast dealing with these issues?

Anyone got an answer to the last question asked?  ie: which router to get?

Comcasts so called customer and tech support sucks.