Contributor
Andrew-W
Accepted Solution

Port Forwarding

[ Edited ]

Hey all... 

So, I decided to go old school and play some Brood War on Battle.net. I can join games, all fine and dandy but I can't host any. I do some research and find out I need to have my ports forwarded from 6112-6119, TCP/UDP (Both) and forward it to the right IP (ending in .113). Done and done. Check ports, still reporting closed. Try online, same problem. Check Port Range Forwarding settings, everything is still correct and saved. Trying all kinds of things. Made sure there was an application exception with the firewall, the whole bit. Then I say, hey, let's contact Comcast and get some support.

So Chat #1 began. Not too much they could do, I had to contact Linksys. Okay, no problem. I call Linksys, they blame it on Comcast. Okay, I'll let that one slide.

So Chat #2 began. Again, not much they could do. Except this time, they gave me the number to Xfinity Signature Support. So I called. 

So Call #1 begins. I get the expectation set that they don't handle these things but I can get a Home Networking assistance package (can't remember the name) ranging from 98 dollars to somewhere in the mid 100's. 

What I want to know is are these ports blocked? Is there a missing step? It's Comcast's router, Cisco Linksys E1000 2.1 (Firmware 2.1.01 aka most up to date). I'm not going to spend $100 for one range of ports. Sure, it includes  a lot of stuff. But I know how to remove viruses. Better yet, I know how to prevent them as most people do.

I just need these ports opened lol. Anyone ever go through the same thing/has suggestions? I have awesome Google-fu and have tried a lot of stuff and it's not working, so please, do not come at me with a suggestion to Google or look at FAQs. Already done that. A lot.

Thanks in advance.

Lol my avatar is a sub sandwich.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Port Forwarding

Andrew-W wrote:
It's Comcast's router,

What is the exact make and model number of the Comcast device ? If it is actually a combo gateway device and not just a straight cable modem then you are using two cascaded routing devices.

Regular Contributor
Windex_

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Cisco/Linksys-E1000/Blizzard_Battlenet.htm

Ensure you have followed all these steps.

One thing you can also try is enabling DMZ, and checking if the ports are open, if it shows they are not, chances are you have other issues besides port forwarding.

P.S. Comcast does not block those ports.

Contributor
Andrew-W

[ Edited ]

Cisco Linksys E1000 is the exact make and model. But, you're on to something. The router is sitting on an Ubee D3.0 Modem. Could that be the issue? 

EDIT: Also, Windex, I followed those steps, no dice. 4000 is also set.

Connection Expert
EG

Is the Ubee a gateway device ? Model # ?

Contributor
Andrew-W

[ Edited ]

EG wrote:

Is the Ubee a gateway device ? Model # ?

I'm not sure. 

I thought D3.0 was the model number. Nothing else is showing as a direct Model Number besides that.

Edit: Pretty sure it's a gateway device now.

Regular Contributor
Windex_

If it is a gateway you may want to set the Ubee into Bridge mode.

Contributor
Andrew-W

[ Edited ]

Windex_ wrote:

If it is a gateway you may want to set the Ubee into Bridge mode.

Gotcha. Seems a little tricky with this device. The only way I am seeing to put it into Bridge Mode is through http://192.168.0.1/TlModeChange.asp which I found through Google - However that doesn't seem to connect to anything. There are no Settings.

Connection Expert
EG

I'll "echo" what he said.

D3 = DOCSIS 3 which is a cable industry standard.

Connection Expert
EG

If it is a gateway device you need to call Comcast to have it bridged.

Use this number to reach the right people for the job; 1-800-363-2416.

Contributor
Andrew-W

EG wrote:

On hold as we speak, I'll update your reply as a correct solution as soon as I'm off the phone with them. Thank you for your help so far.

Contributor
Andrew-W

EG wrote:

Double post, sorry.

I called, talked to them. They are not showing that my Ubee Modem is reflecting as a Gateway device. He said it is a "straight-up cable modem not acting as a gateway," which can't be put into bridge mode due to that. So I'm back at square one. 

Regular Contributor
Windex_

In the configuration page of the Ubee what is the model number listed as?

Also, did you try the DMZ?

Side Note: You can try connecting the computer directly to the modem, and restart the modem.

If that works, the issue is router related.

Contributor
Andrew-W

[ Edited ]

Windex_ wrote:

In the configuration page of the Ubee what is the model number listed as?

Also, did you try the DMZ?

Side Note: You can try connecting the computer directly to the modem, and restart the modem.

If that works, the issue is router related.

Cable Modem Information
Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.0 Compliant
Boot Code Version : 6.1.1c
Software Version : 3.10.1306
Hardware Version : 1.38.0
CA Key : Installed

Tried the DMZ option, that didn't work either. Although it was enabled to "Any IP Address" next to "Source IP Address" - I'm assuming that is okay.

I'll try to connect directly through the modem and see.

Regular Contributor
Windex_

Also, since you have been playing with these devices for some time now, ensure that the IP of your computer, is what is set for port forwarding etc, (wont matter with DMZ) but, if your ip isnt set to static on your computer, then it will potentially change while your messing with the devices, which will render your port forwarding efforts, ineffective.

Contributor
Andrew-W

Windex_ wrote:

Also, since you have been playing with these devices for some time now, ensure that the IP of your computer, is what is set for port forwarding etc, (wont matter with DMZ) but, if your ip isnt set to static on your computer, then it will potentially change while your messing with the devices, which will render your port forwarding efforts, ineffective.

I did not have a static IP set. I followed: http://portforward.com/networking/static-win7.htm

Set it up, still not showing the ports are open. Tried DMZ again, still nothing. Disabled. IP's matching. I am like, so stumped.

Regular Contributor
Windex_

And you tried directly attached to the modem?

Aside from these steps the only other real problem could be a firewall, Norton/Mcafee preventing incoming connections to those programs, but allowing outgoing.

Contributor
Andrew-W

[ Edited ]

Windex_ wrote:

And you tried directly attached to the modem?

Aside from these steps the only other real problem could be a firewall, Norton/Mcafee preventing incoming connections to those programs, but allowing outgoing.

I sure did, plugged it right into my laptop. Internet worked fine, the ports were still closed. The only firewall protection I have is Windows and I even tried to completely shut that off just to see. The ports just won't open. It's like, I was destined to not have any other ports opened up. Ever. But I did just make a lot of changes so let me disable it again and see.... nope, no change. 

Regular Contributor
Windex_

Do me a favor and try to host a game, aside from checking a website looking for open ports etc.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

You need to actually have a server running on a port for it to appear as being open on those type of testing sites.

Regular Contributor
Windex_

[ Edited ]

Indeed, I didn't realize he was using those sites until going over the issue again.

Edit: Thats my fault, I was misunderstanding you "checking" as logging into the game, I didn't realize you were using a port forwarding website test, which as EG noted will NOT work, unless the game is open with a server running.

Contributor
Andrew-W

Windex_ wrote:

Indeed, I didn't realize he was using those sites until going over the issue again.

Edit: Thats my fault, I was misunderstanding you "checking" as logging into the game, I didn't realize you were using a port forwarding website test, which as EG noted will NOT work, unless the game is open with a server running.

Sorry for the late response. I did try to host a game with each change. Basically what happens is my game is visible. I host a game called "Is this joinable?" and someone will message me if it is or not, which it has not yet succeeded.

Contributor
Andrew-W

[ Edited ]

ACTUALLY. 

I apparently did NOT try to host while plugged in to my modem directly (yeah, wow.). So I tried again. Someone was able to join the game I hosted. So it's my router. I just don't know what it is about the router.

Thanks for clarifying the port check website issue. That was my own ignorance at work.

Networking Expert
Baric

Comcast gave you the router?  A Linksys E1000?  Odd, but ok.  That's not a great router, it really is bottom of the pile in terms of performance and I have heard of issues with it and the E1200.  I would upgrade to an E3200 at least, or a model with at least gigabit ethernet ports.  Then do your port forwarding setup and try again.

Regular Contributor
Windex_

If an upgrade is not possible, you can try a factory reset of the router. Followed by setting up port forwarding.

Note: You will have to setup your wireless encryption etc all over again if you do so.

Contributor
Andrew-W

Yeah I pay like 8 dollars for the lease of it, too. I'll call about an upgrade.

Regular Contributor
Windex_

You may find you are no longer paying for leasing it. I was never aware of Comcast even offering that router to begin with, but now they no longer do. Anyone who does have a comcast provided router "SHOULD" no longer be paying for it, since its not supported anymore, you will still see your modem lease though.

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

You lease the router?  Gah!  Run, don't walk, to your nearest electronics store and get your own decent wireless router.  Then return the rental and be done with it and stop paying them for essentially nothing.

Contributor
Andrew-W

[ Edited ]

Baric wrote:

You lease the router?  Gah!  Run, don't walk, to your nearest electronics store and get your own decent wireless router.  Then return the rental and be done with it and stop paying them for essentially nothing.

LOL! Well I may just do that. I didn't want to fork out any money for doing something I would have thought to be so simple but it just hasn't worked out that way. And seriously, I shouldn't be paying for this router?  Maybe it's the modem I'm paying for. They are both from Comcast. I'll have to check a bill. Side note, I have only had service in this area since May of last year.

Top recommendation for Wireless Router?

Regular Contributor
Windex_

Mid to High end router from linksys or netgear will usually serve you well. You get what you pay for. On the linksys side of things something in the E3000 series  is usually a good buy.

Contributor
Andrew-W

Windex_ wrote:

Mid to High end router from linksys or netgear will usually serve you well. You get what you pay for. On the linksys side of things something in the E3000 series  is usually a good buy.

Okay sooooo... the situation is resolved?

I re-entered DMZ, Source: Any IP and Destination with my own IP like last time and this time it has worked. I still think that's unacceptable due to the safety concerns with DMZ on so I'll probably pick up a new router anyway.

Regular Contributor
Windex_

Of course it is. That is the nature of electronics.

Contributor
Andrew-W

Windex_ wrote:

Of course it is. That is the nature of electronics.

Very true. Just as an update, I decided to humor myself. I took DMZ mode off, tried to do the very first thing I did to begin with: Single port forward - And, it magically worked. 

Thanks all for your help.