Contributor

Problem setting up Linksys Wireless-B 802.11B

Hi folks: 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       The problem I'm having is due to the fact that my Comcast Internet connection can only work with an external  USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter.

We bought the Linksys Wireless B 802.11B and a Belkin Wireless Notebook Network Card, also a 802.11B, so my sons could use their laptop and get Comcast.

I tried for three hours to set up that router and the only way I could set it up was to disconnect the external ethernet adapter. Of course, by taking that adapter off, even though the light on the Linksys was showing connection to the internet and even the Comcast modem was showing it was working; I still could not connect to the Internet.

What can I do about this? Is there some kind of splitter that is needed? Can anyone help me with this problem?
If a splitter is needed to use between the modem, ethernet adapter, and the router then can you please let me know if there is a special kind of splitter needed.

Help!!!  :smileysad:
Email Expert

Re: Problem setting up Linksys Wireless-B 802.11B

You can't connect both the router and PC to the cable modem at the same time, unless you pay Comcast extra (every month) for multiple IPs.  So you'll need to get an Ethernet or wireless card for your computer, so that you can connect it to a LAN port of the router.
Contributor

Re: Problem setting up Linksys Wireless-B 802.11B

Thank you Barmar:

I figured it had to be something like that, but I wasn't sure. And I was really hoping there would be an easier solution. Oh well!!

Thanks again!