Contributor

Problems with Arris cable modem, my Mac, and Belkin wireless router! (pulling my hair out!)

[ Edited ]
Hey all!
Just upgraded to Comcast from Bellsouth and I am having issues! I have the Arris router Comcast supplied me with, a Belkin F5D7320-4 wireless router, and 2 Macs (iMac G3 and PowerBook). Here's the problem: The router continues to lose internet connection. I try to powercycle everyting to no avail. Sometimes it will reconnect...sometimes it won't. The modem is working fine directly into my computer. I have not tried with the PowerBook or my PS2. It is important to note that after powering down the modem and router and reconnecting, my Digital Voice connection may or may not come back; if the router is not involved, everyting comes back on like it's supposed to on the modem. What's the problem? If you need more info, please let me know. Thanks for the help!

Message Edited by Xmartian on 04-30-200703:58 PM

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Problems with Arris cable modem, my Mac, and Belkin wireless router! (pulling my hair out!)

[ Edited ]
The Arris modem has a backup battery which keeps it alive. You can't just "power it down".

Every time you change the device that is directly connected to that moden, you need to use the reset button on the back of the modem instead unplugging its power cord. Depress and hold the button until you see the indicator lights flash, or for approx. 20-30 seconds.

[edit]

Were you using the Belkin router with your DSL connection ?

If you were, it is likely configured to use PPPoE. Comcast uses DHCP.

You will likely have to reset the router back to its factory default configuration by depressing and holding in its reset button on back for approx 30 seconds with the power applied. Now power down the Router and turn off the computer/s.

Reset the Arris first and let it stabilize, now power up the router and let it stabilize. Lastly, turn on the computer/s.

It is important that it be done in that sequence. 

Message Edited by EG on 04-30-2007 07:21 PM

Contributor

Re: Problems with Arris cable modem, my Mac, and Belkin wireless router! (pulling my hair out!)

You're right about the battery. I have tried the reset and removing the battery for a powerdown, as well. I will try the last half of your suggestion in that order and repost.
Contributor

Also, yes I used the router with DSL.
Contributor

Alright, I am online now with the router connected. The Internet light flashes intermittantly, indicating a disconnect (?). I will try this configuration and see if it is stable. If not, then what? Are there common advanced settings for this (or any) wireless router to ensure that it is stable? It seems that this always happens: I get it up and running...for about an hour. Then, it craps out. Thanks for the help!
Connection Expert
EG

The next step would be to go over to the Connection Forum, read the sticky topics at the top of the page and try the self troubleshooting suggestions, then post the requested information.

You may have some general connection quality issues.
Visitor

[ Edited ]
***NOTE
corrections made to enties
this is for windows based machines
didn't read close enough

I also have a Belkin wireless router....and the Arris modem
and just a note if you have the telephony model Arris (for internet phone service) this will not effect the router in any way

once you get it working it will be flawless...but getting it there can be a problem
you most likely are having problems getting the modem to connect through the router to the internet
it is very important to follow the setup instructions precisely

resetting the Arris modem
1.  it has a little hole in the back that you can stick a pen tip into and press in
2.  this will turn all of the modem lights off except power and reset it
3.  most all of your lights will come back on data, etc...

resetting the belkin router is easy
1.  unplug it for 10 secs .... plug it back in
alternative
... has a slot or hole in bottom that you can press a tip pen into to recycle it

setting up the systems

make sure your windows firewall settings are turned off
click Start > control panel > Security center
on screen scroll to bottom and click
firewall settings
you can turn it off there

close any other preloaded software

1.  plug computer directly to Arris modem first
2.  reset modem
3.  check your internet connection to make sure you are connected

4.  unplug your router
5.  insert the install disk that came with the router
6.  it should start up automatically
*** important power on router should be off
*** and if it asks to setup securtiy WAP WEP or NONE  (I usually select NONE) for initial install
*** and the SSID name be anything I usually name it Belkin54g, you can change this later also

7.  unplug Arris modem cable from computer and plug it into the correct spot on Belkin router (install shows you where)(painted mint green)
8.  now take a cable and connect your Belkin router to the same spot you your modem was connected to your computer at
9.  then insert the power plug to your Belkin router
10.  it should power up and cycle through (again, just follow the install screens that came with the router)

*** eventually after following the screen instructions
*** you should have a power light, data light, a connection light  and a blinking internet light

you should be set, however!!!!!

here is where I have had the problems
or if you do not have an internet light you may have to clone your MAC address

bring up your browser
key in

this brings up the router menu

if you have an internet connection it should say so....or it will say NO Connection

click login
leave the name field blank and just click submit
it should log you into the menu and the only thing that changes is where it said ''login'' now says "logout"

click the MAC address link
on the back of your Arris modem you have a bunch of different numbers
look for the number that says EMAC it will be something like 00 13 11 D5 95 D3
key this number in
then click submit  (sometimes) you can click the clone button and then submit

wait for a bit....if your router lights do not reset
click the reset router option on the screen
this should recycle the router and hopefully your internet light will start blinking
if the internet light is solid on....you have a connection...but it is not correct

if this fails....try turning everything off ... and repeat the functions

once you get the blinking router light .... all should be fine

but you must do it in the above steps or it will not work properly,

If you get it working right...the Belkin will rarely falter

after you get it working you use the menu to reset all router functions

encryption security
allowed computers etc.... but that is a different subject

you can then turn your windows firewall back on etc

hope it helps

Message Edited by KarterJK on 05-02-200704:33 AM

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
>>"and just a note if you have the telephony model Arris (for internet phone service) this will not effect the router in any way"

Im not certain I understand exactly what you mean by that ?

If a modem's MAC address table is not cleared of a previous MAC addy, and you try to connect a different device to it, it will not accept the new addy and there will be no connection. So in this way I say yes. The Arris, or any modem for that matter will affect the router. 

>>"resetting the belkin router is easy
1.  unplug it for 10 secs .... plug it back in
alternative
... has a slot or hole in bottom that you can press a tip pen into to recycle it"

I don't believe that just unplugging the router will actually reset it back to its factory default settings.....

>>"make sure your windows firewall settings are turned off
firewall settings

close any other preloaded software

1.  plug computer directly to Arris modem first
2.  reset modem
3.  check your internet connection to make sure you are connected

I also don't believe that it is prudent to tell a poster to turn of their firewall and then connect a computer directly to the modem for any period of time without being protected by any form of a firewall whatsoever.

>>"8.  now take a usb cable and connect your Belkin router to the same spot you your modem was connected to your computer at"

A USB cable ?????????

Message Edited by EG on 05-01-2007 07:18 PM

Mac Expert
Joel

Also:

firewall settings

The OP is on a Mac.
Connection Expert
EG

Joel wrote:
Also:

firewall settings

The OP is on a Mac.

Ya know what happens when one assumes...... :smileyshocked: :smileymischief:
Visitor

[ Edited ]
ahhhhh MAC ... ti should still be basically the same

well in that case NV.....I was tired when I was going through this forum
and unplugging mine does reset it
also turning firewall off was meant only for setup (prudent or not!!)

I didnt say I was a network geru....I am just stating how I got mine to work

everyone is **bleep** critic now days <grrrrrr>

Message Edited by KarterJK on 05-02-200704:36 AM

Message Edited by KarterJK on 05-02-200704:42 AM

Mac Expert
Joel

In a Help forum it's important to provide accurate information. Thanks for chipping in though.
Contributor

Wow! Thanks for all of the advice!

I will try the MAC address suggestion this afternoon. Presently, the router will stay connected for a longer period of time since I reset the default settings but disconnects nonetheless. Then I just Sleep my Mac, reset the modem while the router is powered down, restart the router and I'm back online. Quite a hassle. I really hope to get this figured out. So, it is either a linking issue between the router and modem or a poor connection issue? How do you figure out which is the culprit? I will also try the COnnection forum suggestion. Thanks again, maybe we can figuer this out!
Visitor

Unfortunately I have a PC not a Mac, so am uncertain as to how they might be different

I have Comcast and talked to them extensively and Belkin both and have gone through the procedure at least 50 times until I got it right
Belkin does have an 800 toll free number and will assist ... they were really very good and patient about working it through.

One thing that does come to mind....orginally, I had to call Comcast tech support and they did a remote restart of my Arris modem
once they did that it seemed to work better...it all seemed to hinge (in my case) around the EMAC address
I don't know if it re-stablishes a link with Comcast and the modem with the MAC address or not..

all works great now, as long as I dont power off the router, thats when I need to redo everything
but I turn off the PC (unplug it even) and still works great ...  the router and modem have been faithfully working for the last 8-9 months with no problem or lost connections  (thats how long I have had it)

good luck
Email Expert

KarterJK wrote:
Unfortunately I have a PC not a Mac, so am uncertain as to how they might be different

Since the problem is between the router and the modem, the type of computer you have is irrelevant.
Contributor

Ok, I grow weary of this issue! My router/modem will maintain a stable internet connection for anywhere from 5 min-2 days depending on God-knows-what. I have tried all of the above suggestion and the only thing that seems to work is the default settings on the router. That means no security. This is a major pain! What am I missing or forgetting to do, y'all!? Thanks to all who have posted for your help!
Contributor

I broke down and called Belkin last night and had a 20 minute conversation that resulted in a potential fix...we'll see. i was directed to a firmware update available on their UK site, not their US site ( i had looked earlier). Once udated, things seem to be working. I still had a connection this morning when I got up. I will monitor it for a day or two and post one more update if all is well. Thanks again for all of the help!
Contributor

UPDATE***Connection didn't last 24hrs. I am going to look into the Connection forum for help. Does anyone know where Comcast posts a list of settings for anything other than email? Like, do I need a static IP or Dynamic, that sort of thing?
Visitor

[ Edited ]
As I said before I do have a PC (not MAC) and run Windows XP

here is what I have learned to setup a simple home wireless network

I have been re-installing my entire system and hardware...It works great now
here are the items, I have found that caused me problems with the Belkin

when you first install the router....
if when you are all done the internet light is not flashing (but on solid) then something is wrong (try reinstalling)

I had problems until I cloned the MAC address (if you key 192.168.2.1) and get your menu
login (no password needed .. just click submit)
on the left click MAC address...  then click clone and then submit  (this should resolve the disconnecting problem)

After reading other tech specs about Belkin routers is (dont use auto channel - which is the default)
I always had a low or very low connection until I specified dedicated channel 1-11 (I happened to use 5)
I immediately got a very strong connection and was consistent...you may have to try different channel settings depending on your location 

next the router also has a turbo mode...(I strongly suggest turning this on)
this increase the data throughput ... I wont go into the 802.1 specs here (but it just helps)

For Security.....

when i use MAC here I mean Media Access Control address, not MAC has in Apple computer model

After learning more about the Belkin .... I greatly improved operations by doing the following
if you set up a WAP or WEP key on the router (a tech support suggested disabling my Windows Firewall)
Your Operating System most likely has a built in Firewall scheme that you can turn on and off

the reasoning of this is that both do basically the same operations ... running the software only
increases memory usage and may actually impede the router functions

but I only disable my software firewall...because I use a MAC address filtering on the router (in addition to WAP/WEP encryption)
the router can detect the MAC addresses (physical machine address) of each machine connected to your home network
you can tell your computer to only allow those specific machines access (coming in)

if you do the two security things above (using WAP especially) .... your machine will be very secure

------------
also enabled are NAT and UPnP settings
NAT allows Comcast to handle common name translations like comcast.net translated to the actual IP address
and UPnP is used only if any of your applications call on them
-----------

You also have a WAN Ping Blocking option (I don't use mine for various reasons) But....
hackers will usually ping an IP address to see if they get a response .. and if so ... try to investigate further
but if you enable this feature the router will not return an answer and it will appear as a dead connection ...
usually sending them on their way

NOTE - one thing I did read somewhere...(I dont know if true or not) is that routers are typically not very compatible with
Linux and/or UNIX O/S systems ....

But the Belkin is supposed to be completely compatible with all the systems

If you still have problems I might suggest accessing the MAC forums to resolve issues

It can be very frustrating...I hope you get it resolved :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by KarterJK on 05-14-200705:09 PM

Contributor

Frustrating indeed! For my Belkin, the internet light must be on SOLID in order to indicate it is connected (as it is now). I appreciate all of your help Karter and I have tried almost everything you suggest. The only thing that seemed to work was the firmware update last night, but even that lasted less than 24 hrs before next disconnect.