Visitor

Range Extenders

This is to comcast reps:  Your arris gateway device does not have adequate range for larger homes.  Arris now makes a range extender for there devices which connects easily.  They will not sell it to the "end user". Comcast recently bought 150 million dollars of Arris stock.  Statements were released by officials that this represented good faith in the product line.  The Arris range extender is the WR2100 and was released in August 2012.  I have made numerous calls to comcast tech and not only do they not know about the product they were not interested in trying to obtain it for me.  There I am stuck with the Arris Gateway product on lease from comcast that will not cover my house, knowledge of a product thaqt will solve the problem and a manufacturer and vendor not willing to sell it to their customers.  I am sure there are many complaining on these forums that would benefit from this device and comcast could also produce a small revenue stream and improve retention of the customer base, but no body wants to listen.  If this can not be solved I will be forced to seek another internet provider with equipment that is available for my needs.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Range Extenders

Hello,

Why don't you just get rid of the gateway and purchase your own modem and wireless router and then if needed get your range extender.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

There is only one flaw with what reasd stated. If you have an eMTA gateway device for use with Comcast phone service you may not be able to purchase an eMTA modem.

What you can do is purchase a router and have the gateway put into bridge mode. This will disable the wireless on the modem so you can use your router.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Connection Expert
EG

These gateway devices perform fine once they are bridged as plain vanilla cable modems with phone support.

Visitor

I am we'll aware of these options. If I am renting the gateway, why should I put it in bridge mode and buy another router? Why should I move it from the basement where the coax input comes in, my telephone patch pad sends 36 two line phone lines throughout the house, and my Ethernet hard wire sends 5 lines throughout the the house, and finally 30 coax lines? Why should have to reprogram and ask Comcast to bridge and hope there are not new glitches as have just been discovered with their arris unit when married to a new router that may still need several range extenders? Why should I go through these acrobatics when there is a product, probably less than fifty dollars that will connect with my device with no reprogramming, manufactured by a company that Comcast now partly owns and refuses to sell to the end consumer and Comcast does not want to address? There are many customers that have issues with the range of the Arris unit and undoubtedly, have employed some of the suggestions. I am posting because I want Comcast to address this issue which I think would solve so many of their customers problems without requiring a high cost, advanced tech skills, or for that matter a returned gateway. At this point the best solution seems to be to find a provider with a more robust selection of components that will service all sizes of homes at a reasonable price.
Connection Expert
JamesR

Please be aware that this is a user to user forum and is seldom read by Comcast Managers.

You can drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com)

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible;
Account number;
A link to your post.

Connection Expert
EG

You are preaching to the choir here...  :smileysad:

New Visitor
coarse

Hello

The Arris extender costs $56 and you can find it at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-Universal-Extender-WR2100/dp/B00LZVO2JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

I can totally understadn where you come from.  The Arris/Comcast router is in the basement and the bedrooms on the second floor cannot connect properly due to the distance.  I got two of these exchangers for the entire house (7,000 square feet)

They are not as fast as I wish but they do the trick.

Connection Expert
EG

Year and a half olf thread now being closed.