New Visitor
neurocm

Re: Samsung Internet TV wont work

I have a similar problem. New Samsung Smart TV - won't connect to internet but does connect to router.  Comcast says: "not our problelm".  Samsung says: "not our problem".  Tried manually setting an network settings, allowing unique IP address.  Still doesn't work.  TV otherwise fine.  Internet (via other devices) otherwise fine.  Any suggestions?  

New Visitor
Not-so-smart-TV

I have no solution but do have the same issue.  I just signed on with Blast internet.  I've tested it wiht speeds of up to 25 mbps but the new Vizio "smart tv" connection set up program states the connection is too slow.  I connected to a neighbors open wi-fi and the the TV internet works fine.  I did a chat with ComCast support and the gentlemen sent a signal to my modem and then we lost contac with it.  I've tried to connect the Motorola SB6121 cable modem to the smart tv and had the same problem.  I'll continue to monitor posts on this issue.

The computer works fine with Blast.  The diagnostics didn't like the Link-Sys router so I removed it from the connections.  The Comcast support guy said a higher speed wifi router should make things better.

If so what speed?

The Link-Sys  ethernet router is rated up to 100 mbps, so why doesn't it work?

Networking Expert
Baric

neurocm wrote:

I have a similar problem. New Samsung Smart TV - won't connect to internet but does connect to router.  Comcast says: "not our problelm".  Samsung says: "not our problem".  Tried manually setting an network settings, allowing unique IP address.  Still doesn't work.  TV otherwise fine.  Internet (via other devices) otherwise fine.  Any suggestions?  

Unless you provide exact details, we really can't help much.  What router?  How are you trying to connect to this router?  What exact TV?  What is the precise error message?  What does the TV report as its network configuration?  What manual settings did you try?  What are the TCP/IP settings on another working device (for comparison purposes)?

Networking Expert
Baric

Not-so-smart-TV wrote:

I have no solution but do have the same issue.  I just signed on with Blast internet.  I've tested it wiht speeds of up to 25 mbps but the new Vizio "smart tv" connection set up program states the connection is too slow.  I connected to a neighbors open wi-fi and the the TV internet works fine.  I did a chat with ComCast support and the gentlemen sent a signal to my modem and then we lost contac with it.  I've tried to connect the Motorola SB6121 cable modem to the smart tv and had the same problem.  I'll continue to monitor posts on this issue.

The computer works fine with Blast.  The diagnostics didn't like the Link-Sys router so I removed it from the connections.  The Comcast support guy said a higher speed wifi router should make things better.

If so what speed?

The Link-Sys  ethernet router is rated up to 100 mbps, so why doesn't it work?

Again, we need details.  If you are attempting a wireless connection, what router exactly?  How is the router's wireless signal configured?  If the signal is weak (as detected by the TV), try changing wireless channels on the router or repositioning the router or antennas.

New Visitor
Not-so-smart-TV

I'm currently connecting the Motorla SB6121 cable modem directly to the Vizio smart tv using an ethernet cable.  A wi-fi router is not in the linkage.  I've tried two different ethernet cables with no success.

The LAN router that the Comcast diagnostic program requested I remove from the computer ethernet connection is a Dynex 10/100M router, model no. DX-E402.  As mentioned above its a straight connection from the cable modem to the smart tv.

I'm considering acquiring a wireless router and do not know what speed wireless router should I get..

Networking Expert
Baric

Did you power cycle the modem when you switched out the router?  You have to do that EVERY time you change the device connected to the modem.  Pull the ethernet cable and power cord in modem for 10-15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.  When the lights stablize, connect the ethernet cord from the TV to the modem and redo whatever network setup is necessary on the TV.  You will need a router for hooking up more than one device, though I would advise you get a better model with gigabit ethernet.  Stick with the major brands Netgear, Cisco, Apple, etc.  Off brands like Dynex, not so much...

New Visitor
Not-so-smart-TV

Thanks Baric.  I'll make sure I following these procedures.  The wireless router tips is a great help.  I checked modem speed this morning: 25 ms ping, 26.73 mbps download, and 3.75 mbps upload.  I'm not getting blue lights for the receive and send on the modem but I guessing it has to do with the characteristics of the line to the server.

Connection Expert
EG

Not-so-smart-TV wrote:

I'm not getting blue lights for the receive and send on the modem but I guessing it has to do with the characteristics of the line to the server.

FWIW, the "blue lights" would indicate that DOCSIS 3 multiple channel bonding is present.

New Visitor
Not-so-smart-TV

Thanks again Baric.  I've hooked up my friends 2.4 ghz LynkSys wireless router and have the smart tv and computer connected.  Both are working great simultaneously.  I'm typing the the tune of a Moody Blues video on Youtube.  Best regards.

New Visitor
sahpro

Had this problem this morning (even though it was working one time before). We have the Samsung Smart TV, wireless using WPA2 AES encryption...

the fix? Login to the router and disable the Parental Controls. The Parental Controls have things like Manage Services, Content, and Devices! Funny thing is that we don't remember turning that stuff on. Maybe Comcast pushed an update on us. Anyhow, disable that (or take the time to figure out which one is your TV and make it an approved exception.)

New Visitor
JanPWeber

How do you log on to the router?

Networking Expert
Baric

JanPWeber wrote:

How do you log on to the router?

Depends on the router and how it is configured.  The majorty of devices have a built-in web server, so you simply go to your browser and type in the router's LAN IP address and provide the device's administration userid and password.  The most common default addresses are:

http://10.0.0.1

http://192.168.0.1

http://192.168.1.1

There are many posibilities, check your router's documention for exactly how to configure it.  Many models also have a sticker on the device itself that lists the access URL as well as admin password.

Other devices, like the Apple Airports, come with a piece of software called the Airport Utility which allows you to connect to the router without having to know the exact IP address, and make configuration changes.

Can't be of much more help unless you tell us what exact router model you are attempting to login to...

New Visitor
nack49

I just got off the phone from a company shifty /compact patched me through to, to resolve the Samsung TV connection issue.

They went into a sales pitch to sell me a package to take care of all my wireless devices for $9.95 monthly and an access fee of $49. 

They said as of December compact no longer is responsible for anything after the modem.

Total compact garbage.

Subletting out this contract to the Philippines.
Any suggestions?

By the way up to December. My smart Samsung TV worked fine with all the APPS.

Neil