New Visitor
Really_

Re: Samsung smart tv connects to wireless router but not internet

HELP!   While I find the complaints of Samsung TV connecting perfectly to router and router Not connecting to Internet, I find No answers.   

I've just passed initial 24 hrs of my internet and phone service installed by Comcast directly.  That said 1) unable to get router from Samsung to connect to internet, 2) I'm unable to receive calls on my home phone as all it does is make a fax noise.  Unfortunately I spent more than an hour last night (only into 4 hours of the new service) being passed from one "support" to the next: chats and phone.  Wow - this is the antithesis of Comcast's claim of customer care - absolutely NO customer service!

Can Anyone please assist me with the Samsung tv router to internet connection?  I'm stuck on hold re: phone issue.

Thanks much.

Connection Expert
JamesR

If you have Comcast Triple play and your phone service is not working, you need to concentrate on getting them to fix that first and when they do, other issues will usually be resolved in the process.

Just be aware that Comcast Techs are not obligated to troubleshoot Third Party Devices and may be reluctant to dig into a Samsung TV.

I have a Samsung TV that pulls netflix and hulu.  On initial setup, my daughter called Samsung Tech support and they walked her through the setup.  She was sort of embarrassed to find the Setup process outlined in the Samsung Documentation.

The question is, what Setup steps have you done, and what were the results of thos efforts?

Regular Problem Solver

TV: Samsung UN55D6000S
Wireless LAN Adapter: Samsung WIS12ABGNX
Internet Provider: Comcast Blast 50mbs
Internet Modem: Comcast/Arris TG862G Gateway

I understand your pain. My TV worked fine with with a wireless internet connection until my Comcast gateway received a firmware update. The TV network configuration message would say that it connected to the network but could not connect to the internet. Neither Samsung nor Comcast could figure out what the problem was. Comcast support said if I wanted further help I would have to pay for it.

I finally got it to work. It seems the gateway update messed with the Parental Control settings. I had never even looked at this before. After I removed the TV from the list of Managed Devices the TV was able to connect OK with the internet.

BTW, after numerous attempts to configure the TV I found that the easiest way to do it was to use the WPS button on the gateway. That reduced the setup time a lot by not having to enter the long security key every time I ran the wireless network setup.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Good Answer on several levels:smileycool:

Contributor
Nights9876

TV: Samsung UN55ES8000
Internet Provider: Comcast Blast 50mbs
Internet Modem: Comcast/Arris TG862G Gateway

I ended up changing the channel on my WiFi

Changing it to channel 6 made the world of difference.

To go there

Click  Connection > Wifi

Once there choose to edit your Wifi network

You will see

Gateway > Connection > Wireless > Edit 2.4 GHz

on top then you're able to change Channel Selection to manual. 1 is default select 6 then your problems should be over. Hope that helps.

I nearly gave up on my TV. Now it's fast and I'm able to watch my Netflix movies better than ever!

Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, the general idea would be to try any channel to see which gives the best performance in any particular environment. Channel 6 is not necessarily the magic number in all cases.

Contributor
Nights9876

EG you're right.

Contributor
wdinpcfl

Nights9876: See my post concerning the same problem and solution. Channel 6 worked for me also. I tried channel 11 and had the same problem as channel 1.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Streaming-Video-Problem/td-p/1788142

Regular Problem Solver

That shows there a number of causes of problems with Samsung's Smart TVs connecting to the internet.

* Changing the channel has helped some people. It is even possible that local interference was the cause and Comcast was not at fault at all.

* I did not mention it previously but when I first got my TV I had problems because I had an old "draft N" D-Link router. My problems went away when I got the Comcast gateway.

* In my case recently it was Comcast's fault since the gateway firmware update they sent out a few months ago caused my gateway to block my Samsung Smart TV.

It would be useful for a sticky to be created that would bring together the problems and their solutions. It might eliminate a lot of headaches for customers and wasted calls to customer support. Currently their seems to be a lot of frustrated customers who seem to believe that Comcast Customer Support either is inept or does not care. In reality most problems are probably not Comcast's fault but maybe better communication and information sharing will help improve Comcast's tattered image and in the process allow it's customers have a better experience with them.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Consider yourself lucky most people have nothing but problems with the comcast gateways.

Contributor
Nights9876

Re: Samsung smart tv connects to wireless router but not internet MisterEd51 wdinpcfl

wdinpcfl  I'm glad it helped. It's a shame but Comcast IT support is not really support at all. Seems like they don't really have no "real" IT people on staff. Also the settings on the Gateway should be less complicated to find. I had an issue finding the channel setting and I've been doing IT work for years.

I agree Comcast should take the time to do such a thing...but that is too much like right.

Contributor
duvdar

Hey All, Having the same issue with my new smart tv, But I bit dumb on this stuff so I have two questions about it all the threads..

1- Someone said change the parental controls. To remove tv from managed devices. Where do you do this at? On your cable box?

2- About changing the wifi channel to 6. I see the instructions but where do I go to start the instructions? Where is the connection screen where I then chhose to edit my wifi network?

I got comcast/xfinity about a month ago. My smart tv I just got yesterday and it will connect to network but not internet, I have a cisco router as the router comcast game me sucked.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Regular Problem Solver

What router do you have? Do you have wireless security  for the router set up? What steps have you tried to connect to the router from the Samsung TV?

When I got my Samsung TV I tried to use my old D-Link router but could only get it to connect a few times. When I got Comcast triple-play I received a TG862G Gateway. This replaced both my RCA cable modem and D-Link router. The Samsung TV's was able to connect to the Internet fine with the Comcast Gateway. A few weeks later the Comcast Gateway received a firmware update. The Samsung TV would no longer connect to the Internet.

If I log onto the Comcast Gateway there is an option called Parental Control. It is used with the firewall to control what is allowed to connect to the Gateway. In the Parental Control Reports I found a device being constantly blocked. I checked with the Samsung TV to see what it's MAC address was. Sure enough the Gateway's Parental Control was blocking the MAC address for the Samsung TV. In the Parental Control configuration I set it to never block the MAC address for the Samsung TV. When I set up the Samsung TVs wireless network setting again it had no problem connecting to the Internet. Smart Hub has worked flawlessly ever since.

In the beginning in the Samsung TV network settings I had to select the SSID for the gateway and then manually enter the gateway security key. Later because of all the problems I was having I started using WPS. Both the Samsung TV and the Comcast Gateway support WPS. All I had to do was select WPS in the Samsung TV network setup and then push to WPS button on the Comcast Gateway. Within 30 seconds both were connected together automatically.

Contributor
duvdar

I have a linksys smart wifi router.

But how do I get to the comcast gateway to check on that parental feature? Is it on a web address? Settings in my cable box?

Regular Problem Solver

You did not indicate the exact router model number. Even then it may or may not have Parental Controls. Some models that did not have this could get a firmware upgrade to support it.

You router has Parental Controls if it has Linksys Smart Wi-Fi with the Smart Wi-Fi Tools firmware upgrade.

Upgrade to Linksys Smart Wi-Fi
http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/ccc

The Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers (EA6500, EA4500, EA3500, EA2700 and E4200 v2) have new Linksys Smart Wi-Fi benefits. You can get access to them easily with a free firmware upgrade. After you upgrade your Linksys router, all you need to do is create a Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Accoun

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Information on Smart Wi-Fi Tools with Parental Controls:
http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/ccc/PARENTALCONTROLS

Parental Controls
How to block Internet sites on specific devices using your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account
How to disable Parental Controls Tool on your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account
How to disable restricted Internet access on specific devices using your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account
How to restrict Internet access on specific devices using your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account
How to restrict Internet access on specific times using Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account
Overview of the Parental Controls Tool in Linksys Smart Wi-Fi
How to retrieve your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router’s password

If your router has Parental Controls then then the above link will lead to information on how to unblock any device you have.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you do not have Parental Controls then there is nothing to stop the Samsung TV from using the Linksys smart wifi router if you set it up right. What steps have you done to set up the Samsung TV to use the Linksys smart wifi router???

New Visitor
Ujjaini

The directions that you have provided, are these settings to be done on each of the Samsung device or is it something I have to set-up in "My Comcast" on my computer?

New Visitor
Ujjaini

Where did you change the Parental Control settings? Can you please provide steps

Regular Problem Solver

Ujjaini wrote:
Where did you change the Parental Control settings? Can you please provide steps

-----------------------------------------------------------

Just log on to the Comcast gateway. You can't miss it.

Connection Expert
JamesR

MisterEd51 wrote:

Ujjaini wrote:

Just log on to the Comcast gateway. You can't miss it.

Look for the Sticker on the back or bottom of your Router / Gateway device.

You should see the IP address of the device suc as 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 and the  User ID and Password.  Open a browser such as Internet Explorer and put the IP address in the  Address box and hit tnter.  That will take you to the Router Admin login page.  login using the UID and password from the sticker and use the Tabs to navigate to Parental controls.

New Visitor
empozz

I've talked to countless Comcast reps, but none can help me with this. One guy, yesterday, seemed to have the solution, but then today when I tried getting online with my computer, it says I wasn't connected. This is so frustrating! so I put my settings back to what they were, and now, of course, the TV won't connect. After reading some of the posts here, I changed the channel to 6, and it worked for Netflix, but I'm still not able to connect to the 3D programs. It says I'm connected to the network but not the internet. I need to know the EXACT settings that I should enter for my wireless connection.

for Mode, should it be 802.11 b/g/n OR 802.11 g/n

what security mode should I be using? Samsung says to use WPA2PSK OR WPAPSK. The display panel for the Gateway connection recommends WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES), but Samsung says its TVs do not support WEP or TKIP security encryptions.

should I use the automatic channel selection or manually choose a channel?

If someone could please FINALLY answer these questions, I can solve my problem and get on with my life. thank you.

New Visitor
Ashnoni

I have a Samsung Series 7 (7050) Smart TV and have spent the better part of today trying to get it connected to my home wireless network with no success. Intermittently it's either connected to the wireless network and not the internet - or not connected at all.

Have an Xfinity supplied router+modem and a DLini N300 Extender. Have tried the following options and none of them have worked.

1. Changing the channel settings on the main router manually (1,4,6,10)

2. Having the extender use the same SSID as the router and using a separate SSID

3. Completely disabled all security on both the router and the extender.Then tried the WPA2PSK-AES Security also

4. Manually entered the MAC address of the TV as a recognized device by the Xfinity router (and then removed it when that did not work)

5. Manially made the TV as a trusted computer in Parental Controls.

When I try to connect the TV to my Mobile HotSpot from my phone it works ok. So Samsung Support is saying that it is not a TV Isssue.

However all other devices at home connect to both the router and the extender with no issues. It's only the TV that does not seem to connect. So Comcast Support says that it's not a Comcast issue.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do here ?

Thanks in advance

Regular Problem Solver

I have an Arris TG862G Gateway and a Samsung SmartTV. I have the WiFi setting at their default values.
Mode: 802.11 g/n
Security Mode: WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)
Channel Selection: Automatic

My TV is in a room adjacent to the Gateway and only about 12 feet away. The only problem I have ever had was with the Gateway's Parental Control settings blocking the Samsung SmartTV. Fixing that solved the problem.

I have to conclude that it has to be one of:
1. Range problem
2. Interference from some other device
3. Defective Gateway
4. Defective TV

BTW, I hope everyone is using WPS to configure the TV and Gateway's WiFi. It is by far the easiest method and takes less than a minute to do.

New Visitor
rktect

[ Edited ]

I have been running two Samsung smart TVs with Comcast and using my Blu-ray players (ethernet connection there, with HDMI into the TV) to stream Netflix and AmazonPrime Movies. 

Then we updated to the digital cable box (Arris TG-862G), and now I cannot see the internet at all from either TV directly, or through the Blu-ray players.I cannot understand anything anyone typed about programming the device.

Comcast did NOT include any router/modem login name or password with it, but I finally figured out ID = admin and PW = password. So I can log in now. I have turned off all parental controls in the modem, BUT, I cannot find anyplace to set the "channel". Where is that found?

The TVs and BluRays all have the correct (and matching) MAC, IP, Subnet and DNS. However the BluRys both claim the DNS is not working and to contact the cable company to get cable access.

Please help!

Regular Problem Solver

Are you using WiFi for your Samsung smart TVs? If you are have you tried using WPS?

1. Select WPS (PBC) in the Samsung smart TVs Network Settings menu

2. Hold down the WPS button on Arris TG-862G until the light starts flashing

3. Wait 30 seconds

4. The TV should now be connected to the internet.

New Visitor
rktect

I tried your suggestion (WPS) on the Samsung BluRay with the Samsung wireless dongle, then pressing the Arris button... 

It connected to th WiFi system with a 5 bar connection. (I had already been able to get the bluray and tvs connected to the WiFi and Ethernet however).

But I CONTINUALLY get the message "Network setting is complete. But cannot connect to the internet. Contact your ISP to use Internet Service".

THIS is the problem. I'm connecting to the "network" almost no matter what I do - but cannot connect to the internet at all.

All computers in the house (wired and wireless) are full internet access. Only the Samsung TVs and Samsung and Sony Blu-Ray players cannot connect to the internet. What's worse is that 3 weeks ago, BOTH Blu-Ray players were working fine. Two routers later and nothing is working. Hard to believe one failed and then two consecutive replacements are also faulty in exactly the same manner.

There MUST be a setting to get me clear of the wifi and over to the router and out onto the internet.

I'll try anything. It's incerdibly stinky not being able to stream anything.

Also, my CHROMECAST no longer works. Thought I'd throw that into the discussion while we're at it.

New Visitor
rktect

Thought I'd add this - the two Samsung TVs do NOT recognize the Samsung WIFI dongle. And the Network Connection type is set to CABLE and the option I need (wireless) is greyed out and not selectable.

Regular Problem Solver

What model TV and adapter do you have? Is your TV designed to work with the wireless adapter you have?

I have a Samsung 55-inch HDTV. I had to buy the Samsung Wireless LAN Adapter model separately since it did not come with the TV.

I used WPS in the network setup for the TV. In the user manual for the TV it said:
"If your wireless router supports WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup), you can connect to the network via PBC (Push Button Configuration) or PIN (Personal Identification Number). WPS will automatically configure the SSID and WPA key in either mode."

Model Information:
Samsung TV model UN55D6000SFXZA
Samsung Wireless LAN Adapter model WIS12ABGNX/XAA

New Visitor
rktect

TV:        Samsung LN52 B750 (Smart)

Dongle: WIS12ABGNX  (for 2010-2013 models and BR players w/o wifi)

I used the PCB to connect it in the BlueRay player, and got a WIFI connection, but no internet.

In the TV, it failed to recognize the unit at all, and did not show it in the menu as USB1 or USB2.

Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

-----------------------------------------------------
rktect wrote:
TV: Samsung LN52 B750 (Smart)
Dongle: WIS12ABGNX  (for 2010-2013 models and BR players w/o wifi)
I used the PCB to connect it in the BlueRay player, and got a WIFI connection, but no internet.
In the TV, it failed to recognize the unit at all, and did not show it in the menu as USB1 or USB2.
-----------------------------------------------------
I assume that the WIS12ABGNX has been plugged into either USB1 or USB2 on the TV.  

I am not sure about the exact steps since I have a different TV but it should be something like this...

Press the Menu button on TV remote
Select Setup
Select Network Type - Wireless
Select Network Setup
Select PBC (Push Button Configuration)
Push on the WPS button on the top of the Arris TG-862G until it starts flashing
Within two minutes the connection should finish

Note the Network Type - Wireless will be grayed out if the WIS12ABGNX is not recognized.

Visitor
sharonvonbaron

[ Edited ]

My issue I'm having if anyone can help is my Smarttv apps aren't working, I'm getting a "Network Interferrence" message and also when I check the Network settings it's showing the red "X" between my router I'm guessing and the tv? After NUMEROUS attempts to resolve through Comcast, I was finally told that a Wireless router and Smarttv are NOT compatible??!! I'm confused and shocked because I know at one time I was able to get my apps, but then maybe I didn't have wireless internet back then, like last year. I still don't trust what Comcast has told me to be true. They're saying I need to choose between Smarttv or wireless internet. My wifi is an Arris. Thanks!

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

[ Edited ]
If you have there gateway modem/router combo that's most likely your issue have the gateway placed in full bridge mode and get your own high quality router and your issue will likely end. Don't listen to the comcast service reps they are poorly trained and frankly clueless.