New Visitor
DDDoubleU

Re: WAN / Public IP Address

<br>I have a related but different concern:<br>I don't want a static public IP...I want it to change often. My public IP was 'trapped' by some blog website &amp; given to people, so now everytime I go to related blogs I'm immediately identified. This is a serious privacy issue isn't it? Where's the security? (I block &amp; delete cookies) I called Comcast &amp; was told I had a dynamic IP so it 'should' be changing. I've talked to 4 or 5 people @ Comcast &amp; none of them give me the same or consistent info on public IPs. I have had the same public IP for @ least 3 weeks, (and maybe for years). Again, it is supposed to be a dynamic IP. I was told my WiFi modem assigned the public IP, &amp; to call the router manufacturer...that was not true; they said Comcast sends the public IP to the router. Then I was told by Comcast to turn the modem off for a few hours to reset it, that didn't work; so then they said turn it off for 12 hrs, that didn't work; I 'escalated' my concern was then told by a guy in the Comcast Security Dept. that Comcast has only a limited number of IPs so I'm stuck with the one I've got until someday, in the unknown future, (without anyone's control or knowledge @ Comcast because Comcast has no knowledge or control over the public IPs their customer are 'assigned') that my public IP 'might' change; or if I paid A LOT OF MONEY I could buy my own public IP (no the Comcast Security rep didn't know who I could call for that). I couldn't believe this guy...he was patronizing, lectured me saying that I wanted to know in an hour what took him a year to learn..he blathered on &amp; on with his lecture, saying I was doing 'bad things' &amp; only people doing 'bad things' wanted their public IP to change. He said your public IP can always be 'trapped' by the 'outside world ' (i.e. any/all websites, Facebook, Twitter, gaming sites, etc. etc.) and there is no way to block or protect your public IP and it cannot &amp; will never be changed at my request to Comcast. He said even if I have my own private &amp;/or device IPs it doesn't matter (although I do have them set to protect my systems from being 'compromised') ... but the outside world only sees your public IP and that's that! WHAT? So I called again, the next day/night hoping to get a nice person who had some technical expertise and the authorization to help me ... of course I got a person that said she did not have access to change my public IP, but to call back tomorrow during the 'day' &amp; the 'sales dept.' can &amp; will change my public IP and that it will be dynamic &amp; change frequently, but she doesn't know when or how. Why all these different answers &amp; what it the REAL answer? The 'knowlegable security guy', did say I could go 4G (cellular) and they 'rotate' public IPs all day long. I understand that, and do use my phone &amp; tablet that way when not near a WiFi connection, but data plans are limited, &amp; when I use them on my WiFi they 'squirt out' Comcast's public IP (goto: <a href="http://www.WhatIsMyIp.com" target="_blank">www.WhatIsMyIp.com</a> to see for yourselves)...so if Comcast cannoWhat do I REALLY have &amp; what is/is not protected from the outside world &amp; what can I get changed if I want it changed?t or will not actally give me a truly dynamic public IP that changes frequently, and if there is no way to protect my systems from being identified by the 'outside world' then ... well I need to find an ISP that CAN ensure me of the protection I want...per the United State Constitution? And I'm NOT doing anything 'bad' &amp; I have no problem with any ISP giving a valid law enforcement or governmental agency what they need to investigate my systems @ any time they feel they have a valid security concern. I just don't want any & all bloggers or webmasters to identify me when I'm on the internet, unless I knowingly tell them who I am. So what's the truth about Comcast's public IPs? What do I have &amp; what is/is not protected from who &amp; what can I get changed at my request?
Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Your IP address is dynamically assigned by Comcast's cable system. It's an automated process and it will change IP addresses when it feels like it, if ever. You can force an IP change, but this is not something you would want to do on a daily basis.

No matter what IP address you have, it is assigned to you and hence you are traceable. That's how the internet works. You request a file and the file is sent to a specific address: your IP. If you want privacy, you need to put another layer between you and the public interwebs. For that you want to use a proxy or a private VPN.  In this way your actual IP address will not be exposed, the world will only see the IP of the proxy.

This is not something Comcast or any other ISP is going to do for you.

Check out:  http://www.hidemyass.com/

New Visitor
DDDoubleU

Thank you. (Sorry last part of my above comment was goofy. I cut-n-pasted it from Word processor & looks like last part got corrupted from clipboard?)

Thanks for also to 'Ken' & 'Larry' in Customer Security Assuramce Dept. for their telecon sessions with me. If Comcast 1st level of support had a few simple diagrams & 30-min.training session with correct information, it would be less frustrating, but I understand training is always a difficuot thing to impart & manage across departments in large companies., especially with de-centralized call centers.

Thanks again! :•)