Visitor

Remote Desktop to computer with Comcast internet

I use a wireless connection with comcast internet on my home laptop and have the settings to allow remote connection to this computer.  How can I connect from to work to this computer?  At my job I remote into computers using an IP address that they provide or a network address.  When I try to connect this this computer using my IP address, it does not work...Does anyone know how I need to set this up or have a how-to site for me to reference?  I know I must be missing a step to this or the IP address is not the one that I find when I go myipaddress.com? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

Re: Remote Desktop to computer with Comcast internet

Assuming you are using Microsoft Remote Desktop you must forward port 3389 in your router to the LAN IP address of the laptop.  Also the laptop must be full on all of the time.  It can't be allowed to go to sleep or worse yet power off.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Remote Desktop to computer with Comcast internet

sunflower_mn wrote:

I know I must be missing a step to this or the IP address is not the one that I find when I go myipaddress.com? Any insight would be much appreciated.

That is the WAN (public) IP addy that the Comcast DHCP server is issuing to your router and it won't work for this purpose. As Murphy has stated, you need to use the LAN (private) IP addy that the router's built in DHCP server is issuing to the computer. It typically begins with 192.168.X.X.