Contributor
Mibag

Roku 2 XS

My new Roku will not connect to the Internet either hard wired or wireless. Error message points to router but the Comcast SMCNetworks router works fine for three computers in our home.  Has anyone else solved this connection problem?

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Roku 2 XS

The SMCD3GNV has a very poor wireless function, however, ethernet connections work as expected so if that also doesn't work, that points to some issue on the Roku.  Reset the Roku to factory defaults and conenct with a decent cat5e ethernet cable to the gateway, then tell us what the network settings in the Roku say. 

Another thing to try is going into the gateway and changing the firewall security level to MEDIUM or LOW and see if things improve.

Contributor
Mibag

I tried lowering firewall level to low... No change.  Tried the ethernet cable connection... Again, it will not connect. Says to check the router to make sure it isn't blocking the Roku but I have no idea of what to look at there.  

I am also not sure what you want me to look at in the router setup.  I did find that the Roku MAC address was correct within one the router setup pages. I think that page was showing connected devices.

Networking Expert
Baric

In the Roku setup there should be a page of network settings, what are they? You say it won't connect but we have no idea what that means exactly and we have no idea what the Roku has for settings.  In order to help here we need to know eXACTLY what the Roku thinks the TCP/IP settings are.

When wired, there is nothing to check for a block on the gateway unless you specifically added one.  If you didn't, then there is nothing to check.  If you want to be sure, check the Allowed Devices list on the router as long as the Enable Managed Devices is DISABLED, or the Roku's wireless and ethernet MAC's are not on the list, you need to look elsewhere.

Does the Roku show up on the list of connected devices (Connected Devices > Computers)?  if so, what is the IP address?  Can you ping that IP from your computer?  For example, say your Roku is listed as IP 10.0.010 on the gateway, go to your computer and open a Command Prompt then type the command "ping 10.0.0".  What does it say?

What port is the Roku plugged into on the gateway?  Have you tried another port?  Have you tried another ethernet cable?  Have you tried a new Roku, perhaps yours has a hardware issue?

As has been mentioned over and over again on this forum, the SMCD3GNV is a really bad gateway, it's best either get rid of it, or at least have it placed in bridge mode (call the folks at 800-363-2416 to do it) and get your own decent wireless router.

PS. I had a look at the less that stellar manual and it describes a network setup that relies ONLY on DHCP and there appear to be no other settings besides wired or wireless.  If there is a way to get the IP address, default gateway, DNS server, or other required TCP/IP settings, I don't immediately see it from the manual.  I would recommend taking your issue to the Roku forums ( http://forums.roku.com ).

Contributor
Mibag

Thanks for your comments.  After discussion with their support, the Roku is going back.  I plan to purchase my own DOCSIS 3 gateway.  What do you think of the Motorola SB6121 vs my SMCD3GNV?

Contributor
Mibag

Sorry for the dumb inquiry... I know I need a gateway not just a cable modem!  I ask again for advice on something better than what I have now.

Networking Expert
Baric

I can recommend the Motorola SB6121, I have it's older sibling the SB6120.  They work very well.  However, you will also need a decent wireless router.  The SMCD3GNV is a gateway, which means it has a cable modem, EMTA, and wireless router all in one unit.  So if you replace it you to replace each of the functions that you use.  There are many decent routers out there but I would stick to the better models from Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, or Apple.

Beside the cable modem and wireless router, the other consideration is if you have Xfinity Voice.  To make that work you need a cable modem with an EMTA so you can plug your phones into.  In this situation, it's usualy better to get the cable modem/ETMA from Comcast.  They only allow one user owned EMTA, the Arris TM722G,, and you must have purchased it from one of Comcast's kiosk in certain Best Buy stores.  If you need an EMTA, you have to decide which is the best option for your needs.

Contributor
Mibag

Since I do have  TV, Internet and Xfinity Voice with Comcast, am I correct that the Arris TM722G is my only choice other than staying with the MMCD3GNV gateway that I have now?  Would bridging a good wireless router to my current gateway be an option?  I understand that that wouldn't be a DIY project. Will Comcast be cooperative in that change?

Networking Expert
Baric

If you ahve Xfinity Voice, you have 3 options:

1. Have the SMC gateway placed in bridge mode (call 800-363-2416) and attach your own wireless router.  The SMC while a terrible gateway seems to work fine as a cable modem and EMTA, so this is likely your easiest choice.  You still have the $7/mo rental fee.

2. Have Comcast replace the SMC gateway with a basic cable modem/EMTA, whatever they happen to use in your area.  Then connect your own router.  This means you still have the $7/mo rental fee.

3. If allowed in your area, go to your local Best Buy store and find the Comcast kiosk and purchase the EMTA they have, usually only an Arris TM722G is offered.  When you purchase it (about $140), arrange for it to be installed (about $50).  No $7/mo fee, but the upfront costs are steep.  Again you need your own wireless router.

You can simply leave the gateway as is and install a wireless router, but I don't recommend this since you end up with a double NAT situation and this can cause all kinds of trouble with certain applications and uses.  Since option #1 above costs nothing (other than the router which you need anyway) and can be done in 5 minutes, there is no need to go this route.

New Visitor
StanleyGCollins

I've managed to get it solved, through great pain.   Start in this thread:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Trying-to-connect-ROKU2-HD-through-my-Xfini...

Take all the steps described there.

I still didn't get it working, and called Roku, who told me I had to do one more thing.  You have to access the 'other secret screen' (other than the one from that thread) by hitting the home key 5 times, then ffwd, play, rew, play, ffwd.  That brings you to a settings screen, where you have to disable the network pings.

If you do all that, you should be able to get the Roku 2 xs to work with the SMC modem.  I am trying to publicize this as much as I can to keep others from having to go through as much time and effort as I did, or to have to buy extra equipment, which I almost did but didn't end up having to do.