New Visitor
drewzze

Router/Modem Combo

Hi - I live in Philadelphia and I have Comcast, does anyone know which router/modem combos are compatible - can you please suggest a brand and model? Or, does anyone know the cost of a router/modem combo rental through comcast? Thank you.... 

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Router/Modem Combo

I think the rental fee for a modem router combo is 7.00

Most folks here reccomend a separate Modem and Router to improve the ability to troubleshoot connectivity issues.

Connection Expert
EG

Way agree with James here. Steer clear of those combo gateway devices for the reason he states and there are other reasons as well !

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I'll add my voice to keep modems and routers separate.

One issue with cable modems is that you do NOT have control of the firmware. Comcast can update it at any time. If it's a gateway (combo device), then you have no control over the firmware used on the router side, since it's all the same. Worse, it's always possible for a firmware update to mangle settings, so you could lose your configuration without ever having a warning.

Networking Expert
Baric

I agree with the other posts, stay away from combo devices like gateways, etc.  You want a seperate cable modem and router.  Modem rental fee from Comcast is $7/mo, they give you whatever modem they currently have that is compatible with your chosen speed tier.  If you buy your own modem, you can avoid monthly rental fee.

Comcast provides a list of approved cable modems and gateways at:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net

Personally, I recommend the Motorola SB6120 (or 6121) as a cable modem (approx $71 on Amazon), and a decent router from Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Apple, etc.  Stick with a major brand and a model that meets you needs.  Be aware that if you go for the cheapest models, you will not get the same speed as the more expensive models, so you get what you pay for here.  

Comcast has an offer to provide a free router to customers who rent a cable modem.  Usually it's a Netgear model WNR1000 or 2000.  This is a very basic low end router, but if your needs are simple and you rent your modem, you can get a working router for the $10 shipping and handling fee.  Personally, I would avoid this because a) I own my own modem to save the $7/mo rental fee and am not eligable, and b) the free router doesn't have great range or speed.  But if you like the idea of renting the modem instead of paying for it up front and your router needs are simple, then this may be a good deal for you.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

And, if you buy a modem, do NOT buy a used one from eBay or similar. Too often, they may be stolen or have other issues that prevent them from being properly provisioned.

Connection Expert
EG

Post moved from a year old thread to its own thread on this board for better exposure. Click on the above link to follow it.