New Visitor
tacos_elprimo

Router for Dummies Help!!!

ok I connected my router to my modem everything is working, but during the installation it says i have to have the yellow plug connected my router and laptop and another one from the modem to the router. SO does that mean I can not disconnect the yellow cord from my lap top to navigate around my home and continue with internet connection????????

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Router for Dummies Help!!!

You need to keep the cord between the Router and the Modem in place.

You use the cord between the Laptop and the Router for Router Setup or for Highspeed connectivity.

You can disconnect the cable/cord from the laptop/router and go wireless after you have completed the Router configuration.

The Wireless connection will be somewhat slower than the Cabled connection.

New Visitor
tacos_elprimo

ok so the router is to help other people in my home connect to the internet wireles but not mine??  I wanted to navigate around my home is there any other way

Connection Expert
JamesR

No the router is for multiple computers accessing the internet all at the same time. Yours included.

You can either get a long cable that allows you to wander around your house or, what would b e better, would be to connect your computer wirelessly to the router.  Then you could wander around as far as the signal strength in the Radios contained in the router and laptop will let you.

If you did not configure encryption on the Router then you should be able to disconnect the cable from yoour laptop and enable the wireless capability in your laptop and it should let you start to browse.

There are several Sticky Threads at the top of this Home Networking forum that you should read about setting up security on your router and how to connect a laptop to a secured router.