Visitor

Router password.

I need to change the password on my Comcast provided router but when I attempt to login to the admin screen to change it, the Comcast provided password for admin is not recognized. How is the admin password reset?

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Router password.

What router are we talking about here, exactly?  The default password on many of the router's provided by Comcast is "password", but if it has been changed, you have to use whatever you changed it to.  If you have forgotten it or someone else changed the password, then the only way to restore access is to reset the device to factory defaults.  You usually do this by pressing and holding the Reset switch on the back for some number of seconds until the device resets and reboots.  Different models have different times, but usually 5 seconds is sufficient.  Then login using the default userid and password for that model and change the password to something you know (and save it in a safe place, just in case your forget it).

Visitor

The technician who installed the router changed the password. If I reset the router to the default settings then sign on to the admin screen, is the set up of the router user  friendly?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Baric wrote:

What router are we talking about here, exactly? 

Make and model of the router is ????

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Networking Expert
Baric

mjnop wrote:

The technician who installed the router changed the password. If I reset the router to the default settings then sign on to the admin screen, is the set up of the router user  friendly?

If the technician changed it, he should have provided that information to you.  As for if the setup pages are user-friendly, that depends highly on what make/model of router you're talking about.  Most are very simple and straight-forward, I find them very user friendly, especially the Linksys and Netgear models. The Apples are a little more arcane (using the Airport utility).  The more high end the router, the more features and options and setting up firewall rules on such devices can be a a little more daunting to the new user.

Visitor

It is  an ARRIS router that was provided by Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver
BruceW

mjnop wrote: It is  an ARRIS router that was provided by Comcast.

Could you post the Arris model number please?

Networking Expert
Baric

If it's an Arris TG852G, and it has a Comcast firmware, the manual is here:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/userguides/Wireless_Gateway_User_Guide_030811....