New Visitor

Router placement, cable, and speed question

I've ordered a new computer and will be setting up a wireless network (other notes on this were very helpful). My concern is with placement.

My cable layout could put the Griswolds to shame. The cable comes into the basement, splits 2-way (one to a tv) other to a signal amplifier, runs up to the attic, splits again that then goes to my modem then the computer on the second floor (this was how the house was wired when I moved in). I want to replace this with the modem and a wireless router after the first split in the basement to get the best signal but I would like to locate the modem and router on the first floor so I can turn it off when necessary.

My questions are: 1) Should I just leave the modem and router in the basement and leave them on all the time (with proper security)? 2) What is the recommended type of cable to use to minimize signal loss if I do locate on the first floor? 3) If I'm doing online gaming with one computer, will a wireless router ("g" or "b") support the speed?
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Router placement, cable, and speed question

Delaware vball said:
1) Should I just leave the modem and router in the basement and leave them on all the time (with proper security)?

I don't see why not. You rarely if ever touch these. But if you have a problem and get into some trouble shooting, you're going to be walking back and forth. I'd personally locate the modem and router near my main computer, but to be frank, I never touch them, modem and router have been on continually since forever and the only time I mess with them is when I'm experimenting :smileyhappy:. So leaving them in the basement is fine, just make sure it's not damp.

The only real issue I can see here are possible wireless signal strength issues due to the always going through the floor. Normally you want the router located in a very central place in the home or as close to the places you would normally use the wireless computers. If you're on the 2nd floor and the router is in the basement, depending on distance and wall/floor construction, you might have signal problems. Typically indoors through walls you have about 100-125' to work with.

2. I take it you mean COAX cable? RG6. If you're talking ethernet, get decent cat5e cable.

3. You should have no problem. Even the slower wireless B goes faster than your cable modem will allow, so it's not an issue EXCEPT if you have low signal strength or interference issues and your adapter and router step down in speed to maintain a connection. If you dip below 3Mbps on your wireless link, you're going to start constraining yourself. In this area, I would always go with wireless g so that if you do step down, you have much more room to play with. Not to mention speed from one computer on the LAN to another is much faster with G than it is with B.

Hope this helps.
New Visitor

Re: Router placement, cable, and speed question

Very helpful, thanks! Based on your comments, I think I will locate the modem and router on the first floor. This should avoid any dampness or distance issues.