New Visitor
mariodalessio

SLOW wireless with Xfinity Arris modem

[ Edited ]

Just had Xfinity installed today. Modem is Arris TG862G/CT.

Speed tests show >30Mbs hardwired to the modem.

My son's Sony Vaio laptop gets near that speed when connected wirelessly.

However, my new Dell computer with wireless N is only getting about 2.5Mbs. It's located one floor below the modem.

My company laptop with wireless G is getting about 4.5Mbs wirelessly, even if I'm only about 10 feet away from the modem.

Here's the kicker: my upload speeds are >5Mbps, more than the download speed!

Any ideas as to why two computers can't get higher wireless speeds?

I phoned Comcast tech support, but they want to charge me, and I'm not about to pay as a new customer. I will phone my sales rep, too. But for now, I'm hoping to get some answers quickly here. Thanks!

Mario

New Visitor
Syd_WoW

Re: SLOW wireless with Xfinity Arris modem

[ Edited ]

I am having the same issue - they can fix it but I have to "pay" for it. How convenient. They changed my modem router set up to the all in one box which I am fine with. I am not fine with the wireless not working correctly (i.e. my download speed is between less than 1 mbps to about 4) and it is somehow my problem, my issue, and they won’t fix it as a courtesy to the customer. I am waiting to speak to a manager now. Who has just informed me they “can” fix it once I pay – fabulous! Most times I call Comcast I have to talk to 3 or 4 people just to get someone who can address my issue. Oh and btw I just “paid” for them to fix it. They changed the channel the router was running on and it increased the speed up to about 7 mbps – so basically they fixed nothing. Cheers!

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

OP. It is a known issue that the wireless performance / range of that gateway device is abysmal !!. Suggest you get rid of it or at least have it placed in to "bridge mode" which makes it a plain vanilla cable modem. You would then use your own "high quality-high performance" wireless router with it.

Use this number to reach the right people for the job; XXXXXXXX

[Edited to remove a now disconnected phone number]

Regular Contributor
shuck1

[ Edited ]

you may need to change the channel from auto to something like chanllel 11 i would download a program like inssider for pc  or wifi analyzer for the android or apple that will show your ssid and what channel it is sitting on 

go to connection==>wifi==>edit wifi 

then go to cannel selection and set to manual 

There are some additional setting  I will go into that if needed

-CS

New Visitor
mariodalessio

Thanks for your response. I had already tried changing the channel to channel 11, but it didn't help. I should have noted this in my original message. Sorry.

Mario

New Visitor
lflavora

I'm glad I read this.  I wasted two morning on an installation for phone service.  The first guy didn't show.  The one this morning informed me that he would have to install a Comcast modem.  I'm running my own Zoom with no problems.  I wasn't told about this requirement when I signed up for the phone service, ergo, I was not told about the need to take on the monthly charge.  And when the tech and I were talking he asked "How far do you need the modem to reach?"  Huh?  I live in a 1200 sq ft ranch - and I should have to worry about this??? So I started looking for feedback on the Arris modem.  I think I may pass on the phone service...

Contributor
drewfrank

We just signed up for xfinity last Friday and have the Arris modem.  For the first couple of days I was able to get the 25 mb/s that I am paying for on my laptop wirelessly.

Yesterday my dad wanted to hook up his ancient laptops to the wifi.  These computers are old and don't support the security that was currently setup for the wireless connection, so I had to "dumb down" the security so that his computers could connect.  This seems to have coresponded with a decrease in the speeds I can now get on all the wireless devices connected to the wifi.

Now I'm not sure if these two events, changing the security and the decrease in wireless speed, are related, but I may try changing the wireless security back up to where it was and see if that has an effect on my speeds.

Like others have mentioned, when I connect to the modem directly I get the 25 mb/s that I am paying for.

I am willing to buy a wireless modem and set the Arris in bridge mode.  Is this something that is complicated to do?

Contributor
drewfrank

Follow up to my previous post:

I just changed my security back to WAP/WAP2 and am now getting the speeds that I am paying for.

So I guess there was a direct correlation to my changing the security level and getting lower speeds.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

drewfrank wrote:

Follow up to my previous post:

I just changed my security back to WAP/WAP2 and am now getting the speeds that I am paying for.

So I guess there was a direct correlation to my changing the security level and getting lower speeds.

If you were using the older WEP security encryption before, it is known that it has a greater amount of "overhead" than does WPA / WPA2.

Regular Contributor
shuck1

If you are using N  devices you cannot use WEP on the ARRIS gateways

-CS

New Visitor
lvh2013

This was funny. Noing a little about how Radio Waves work I placed a Metal pizza pan agains my Arris Router on the side where the air holes are to direct the signal the direction I wanted it to go. My downloads went from 4 meg to 18 meg. on my IPad in th basement, I started laughing out Loud. I went a little further and created a neater application! The device has more than enough holes to keep the device kool. I believe they put that many holes to let th R.F. out???  Instead of using an Antenna! PS my wife's still run slower but it's an 8 year old H.P.     Good Luck !

Connection Expert
EG

Older thread now closed.