New Visitor
WashingtonIrvin

SMCD3G and Arris TM502G default username & password . . ??

Connectivity is fine, but cannot log in to the router.

SMC3DG IP Gateway - it gives me an internal IP of 10.1.10.10 and shows a gateway of 10.1.10.1.  When I point my browser to the gateway IP I get a login page asking for username and passeword - no username or password associated with this account works and I can't locate a default.

I get the same result when I point the browser to my 'outside' IP, the IP that my modem shows on the internet.  The modem is an Arris TM502G. Can't find a default login for that, either.

Anybody have a link to comprehensive manuals for these critters?

Thanks.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: SMCD3G and Arris TM502G default username & password . . ??

The SMCD3G is a business class gateway which matches the default IP you posted.  The default user ID is "cusadmin" and the default password is "highspeed".  They have nothing to do with your Comcast account(s), they are local to the device itself.  If they have been changed and you do not know what they are, you can reset the gateway to defaults or simply call the business class support line, they can do it for you.  I understand this gateway does NOT allow remote access by the customer, it must be configured from the LAN side or you can call Comcast and have them make any needed changes if you are offsite.

The manual for this device is at:

Comcast IP Gateway user guide

I'm not following you re: the Arris TM502.  Why do you have a cable modem?  The gateway IS the cable modem.  Assuming you are talking about some other connection, there is nothing configurable in the TM502, just like all cable modems, bu you can get information and status at http://192.168.100.1.  This side is only visible from the LAN side of the modem.  The Arris manual can be downloaded from Arris:

http://www.arrisi.com/support/documentation/user_guides/_docs/TM502_User_Guide.pdf

New Visitor
WashingtonIrvin

WOW!! That's Great! - Real manuals and access to my side of the gizmo.

Sorry - I left out some info I didn't know I had available when I posted my query -

The ArrisTM502G is my "digital voice" adapter and is connected via a splitter; the SMCD3G is independent of the Arris device and is my internet modem/router.  I would have known that if I'd bothered to move a box in the corner and see the splitter. That explains why I get the same login interface when I go to the gateway IP and when I go to the internet-facing IP.

Since the phone adapter isn't upstream or downstream from the gateway, I don't need to do anything with it's insides.  Nice to have a manual, though, and much more comforting than the product brochure.

Thanks again.

Networking Expert
Baric

Ah, that explains it.  That's not an uncommon config, even in residential setups, one modem for the phones, another for the Internet.  This is done for a number of reasons (physical cable location vs. phone lines, etc).  IN this kind of setup, the EMTA for the phones has the ethernet interface disabled so it can't be used for general Internet access, only the phones work.

Connection Expert
EG

Split out in to its own separate thread / topic here on this board. Click on the above link to follow it. Year old thread now closed.