New Visitor
cdouglas29

SMCD3GNV Gateway default username and password not working to manage gateway

It seems after resetting the gateway to the default factory settings, the default username and password still does not work to manage the router.  Anyone have any ideas?

I am trying admin / password

Thanks for any help..

Connection Expert
EG

Re: SMCD3GNV Gateway default username and password not working to manage gateway

Are you using all lower case letters ? Are you holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for about 30 seconds ?

New Visitor
cdouglas29

Re: SMCD3GNV Gateway default username and password not working to manage gateway

Yes all lower case, Yes on holding the recessed reset button for 30 and even unplugged the gateway and while holding in the reset button plugged in the gateway and continued to hold reset button for 20 seconds.  Still no luck when going to 10.0.0.1 login screen...

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

So when you go to the 10.0.0.1 address, does it ask you for a username and password or is the screen blank or says it can't go to the address somehow?

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

I'm thinking maybe you have not correctly connected your computer (with an ethernet cable) to the SMCD3GNV gateway?

New Visitor
cdouglas29

I get the xfinity Login screen..

Please login to manage your router.

Username:

Password:

New Visitor
cdouglas29

Even though I get internet access, cable might not be connected correctly?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

jumped in. He owns it now. Good luck with it !

Stepping on toes is not Kool dude....

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

You get internet but can't connect to the SMCD3GNV, so the connection to the internet is through the SMCD3GNV right? 

What happens when you got to http://10.0.0.1 does it ask for the password?

New Visitor
cdouglas29

Yes it asks for username and password..  I wish I could paste a screen shot to show..

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Here is a thread, but nobody figured out how to connect to it

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Can-t-access-SMCD3GNV-via-10-0-0-1-or-via-h...

It seems they could not connect to it with either address.

Somebody thought that in bridge mode it doesn't respond to either address.

Is yours in bridge mode?  In bridge mode you do not use the wireless features and have a single ethernet to a diferent router.

How is yours set up as a wireless gateway or in bridge mode?

Do you have the computer directly connected to it?

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/SMCD3GNV-Router-Bridged-Can-t-connect-to-th...  Paranoid says that in bridge mode it doesn't respond to any address, but in wireless gateway mode it responds to http://10.0.0.1

I you reset it for more than 15 seconds EG in some thread said it leaves bridge mode.

If you push the button  for 2 or 3 seconds it reboots without loosing bridge mode.

Seems like common reason for no access is it is in bridge mode.

If you want it in bridge mode leave it that way.

New Visitor
cdouglas29

Computer is connecting to gateway via wireless. It's responding to 10.0.0.1 so I am thinking that it's not in bridge mode.  Guess this is one of those things that can't be solved.  I will see if they will switch out the gateway to see if that might solve the issue.  The gateway was not new, it came from another home since the gateway name was not the default when the tech installed it.  

Thanks for your help... 

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Right if it is wireless, can you do ipconfig (on a pc) and give me the gateway address

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.211.55.4
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.211.55.1

The default gateway should be the gateway device which is normally 10.0.0.1

If it is some other address try that address to contact the router.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Another thing is to make sure you are connected via wireless to the gateway as opposed to some other wireless.

If you have an ethernet you could plug it into the computer and the gateway and do a wired connection.

This would be more certain about what you are connected to.

New Visitor
cdouglas29

yep it's 10.0.0.1 for the default gateway..

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

So if you open a browser and do http://10.0.0.1  what exactly happens?

Can you ping 10.0.0.1 or telnet to 10.0.0.1

New Visitor
cdouglas29

Can ping 10.0.0.1 but cannot telnet to 10.0.0.1

New Visitor
cdouglas29

open browser, go to 10.0.0.1 and 

I get the xfinity Login screen..

Please login to manage your router.

Username:

Password:

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

So you login with username

admin

and Password

password

and does it say login incorrect?

or what happens.

New Visitor
cdouglas29

yes it says incorrect login....

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

So did you do what EG said and push the recessed reset button with a thin object for more that 15 seconds?

Reset Button (Recessed to protect against accidental reset)

Pressing the Reset button for varying lengths of time performs two types of reset operations.

Normal Reset – reboots the Wireless Gateway but retains current configuration settings. Use a thin object, press the Reset button for 2-5 seconds and release.

Factory Reset – deletes all changes made to the original configuration settings and restores the Wireless Gateway to the factory configuration.
Use a thin object, press and hold the Reset button for at least 15 seconds or more before releasing.

New Visitor
cdouglas29

Yes that was tried but still no luck.  Going to call and see if they will switch it out.  Thanks for your help.

New Visitor
Codexier

I just got a new SMCD3GNV today (2/7) and it also does not work with admin/password.  The tech did not know another password either.  I wonder if the new modems have a new login/pass?

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Somewhere else on google for the SMCD3G (without NV) they said the password is

The default user ID is "cusadmin" and the default password is "highspeed".

Try that and report back

New Visitor
Codexier

I got hopeful, but that also does not work.  Incorrect password.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Did you try resetting the new box for 30 seconds with a pen.

They recycle boxes and this one may also have a different password.

So admin / password gives password incorrect also?

New Visitor
Codexier

Correct, I tried resetting.  Actually the Xfinity tech did as well and couldn't figure it out.  admin/password did not work.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

So can we hook the computer with a plain ethernet cable to the SMCD3GNV also, just in case you can't login over wireless, which seems silly also.  I am getting sorry I ever tried to answer this question.

I guess looking at the forum or google are not working here.

Other devices but not this one have password with smcadmin in them

http://portforward.com/default_username_password/SMC.htm

Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

At this point, if the modem cannot be successfully factory reset, it may be time to ask for a replacement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

THis box is a replacement he got today, and it also doesn't log in or reset.

New Visitor
Codexier

Thanks for trying cjerian.  You are certainly not on the hook to resolve this, but I appreciate how you've tried to help so far.

Still no luck...

I tried via wired connection.

I tried every combination in that new list and even combined ones that were different.  

Thanks

Networking Expert
kevj

And unless he is using two logins, it appears to be for a different user...

Codexier, if you are a different physical person that the originator of this thread, please start your own to avoid confusion.

Thanks...

Help us to help you!!

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

If I were replacing it I would get a modem, this one has voice so you may need voice,

If you need voice would get the plain arris 722g from trhe center and use a real wifi router which you would control

I like the dual link ones from netgear/buffalo etc.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=dual+link+ac+ro...

real wifi routers work better than these anyway.

If you don't have voice you can just order a modem from amazon also.

routers like

You can buy one from the approved list also

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?s=i&so=1&e=0&d3=1&tier=-1&sc=570

Look for one that has 8 channel docsis 3,

avoid wireless gateway devices.

THis 6141 is 8 way and you can get it from amazon 

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B007IMPMW4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&...

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

So 2 different people can't log into 2 different SMCD3GNV ?

New Visitor
Codexier

I apologize, I didn't mean to confuse everyone.  Yes, this is another person than the original poster.  I only added on because he just got a router yesterday and I got one today and neither one of us can login with the default password.  Wasn't sure if it was symptomatic.

I'll start my own thread, or more likely just see if you can help the other chap.

Networking Expert
kevj

cjerian wrote:

So 2 different people can't log into 2 different SMCD3GNV ?

It appears that way...so either Comcast have changed the credentials thay are using on these devices when they send them out, or there is a coincidental failure of two of these devices...

I would still recommend the OP return his for an exchange. If the problem persists after that, there is either somethinggoing on at Comcast that we are not aware of, or an as yet unidentified user error.... 

Help us to help you!!

New Visitor
Louisbergers

I had a similar problem.   Entered admin and password and nothing happened. 

I am not sure exactly how I got passed it but I did 2 things.   I deleted all the cookies and files from IE after I closed up all opened sessions of IE.   I tried again and made sure I clicked on the login button as opposed to pressing the enter key and it worked.  It could be a cookie management problem with the gateway code.  I am not impressed by the UI or the code running it. 

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

So maybe the login button works but pressing enter doesn't?

Does anyone else have a SMCD3GNV  to try it  out?

New Visitor
SAdS56

I also have a SMCD3GNV and cannot login either.

New Visitor
SAdS56

I tried cleaning all on the history ie and pressing the button and it did not work.

New Visitor
Surfopotamus

This thread might be dead, but it helped me find a strange solution so I'll post it.

I was trying to login through chrome with different passwords and it didnt work. I then tried IE and it worked. After this login was successful, I was able to login from chrome anytime after.

The defaults I used:

username: cusadmin

password: highspeed

This password was cited a few times on Google searches and in an online manual (though not the version that comes with my device). Really strange that it needed IE. For what it's worth, I'm guessing that the "login attempt failed" messages are generic and apply to other things besides wrong username/passwords.