Contributor

SMCD3GNV & Belkin Range Extender

[ Edited ]

From what I have read pouring through these forums is that I have a POS cable modem, the SMCD3GNV with comcast triple play.   I have horrible range in my house so I bought a Belkin Range Extender as that's what the brains at Best Buy said to do.

Before I get the Baric response of  "Call comcast and tell them to set to bridge..." Id rather know if there is a setting issue or something else?  I already have everything placed, hooked up etc, and I live about 70 miles from the closest best buy to return it so Id rather just make it work if possible.

The setup goes perfect, the extender finds the wireless network, connects, goes great.  Apple Tv, Ipod, laptops all see the extended network and connect right up with the specified password.  BUt the connection system tray icon instantly get see the yellow triangle on it and says no internet access. 

Anyone have a solution or idea other then bridge via comcastlarry and buy another router?

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: SMCD3GNV & Belkin Range Extender

[ Edited ]

Well, my best advice is still get rid of it or have it placed in bridge more.  You made the wrong move going with the range extender since you still have to reply on the wireless signal of the SMCD3GNV, which is bad news.

That said, range extenders are very touchy and they usually only work well with a small subset of wireless routers, usually of the same brand.  Some also work with other brands, but it's going to be very hit or miss.  Since I have no idea what you bought nor how you have it setup, there's not much I can say here except play with it and contact the Belkin support folks for setup hints with 3rd party wireless routers.  A better solution (baring the bridge option) is to get a WAP instead of a range extender and connect it directly to the gateway and disable the WAP's DHCP server (if it has one) and let the gateway's DHCP server handle things and let the WAP simply provide the wireless network (different SSID, different channel, etc).  This means you have two wireless networks with the SMC's not being used, but this is your choice since you disdain the better bridge option.  And don't listen to the folks at Best Buy, by and large they are pretty clueless.  If you know of a certain individual that is technically competent, then great, but if you don't know them, get a 2nd (and 3rd) opinion before you take their advice if this is not your area of expertise.

My advice: stop messing around trying to make it work this way and do it right.  Get rid of the SMC or failing that, have it placed in bridge modem and get your own decent wireless router.  It will be easier to setup, it will work better and you won't have such a kludge to diagnose if it fails (and it probably will).

Contributor

Thanks Baric.  I dont disdain the idea of bridging, just thought i would explore a true repair to the issue then the alternative.

What is the best device to get if i have my smc bridged?  I have read alot of good reveiws about the Amped Wireless stuff, thoughts on that?

BTW, I appreaciate forums like these where people share their exp[ertiece for people with limitied knowledge in speciffc areas.  Its nice that people spend the time to answer questions and what not.  Thanks!

Contributor

Found this tidbit of information in a custoemr reveiw on Amazon regarding the amped wirelss repeater.

"I recently purchased the SR300 to boost WiFi availability on the second floor of our home. I am a Comcast customer and I found that the new wireless router/gateway devices they use provide very mediocre (at best) WiFi coverage. The SR300 sets up and works as advertised, and I'm very impressed with the coverage it provides. After getting the device connected, I found that there is still some effort to optimze the settings/placement to get the best download performance and coverage. VoIP and other home office applications are now working nicely on my repeater network.

One catch if you are using Comcast service... this device is not compatible with the SMCD3GNV provided by Comcast (all in one modem, router). I learned the hard way that you'll need to exchange your SMC gateway for another device (ex. Arris). The Amped Wireless tech support helped me identify this problem very quickly, and they informed me that the latest firmware in the SMC networks device is the source of the problem for all brands/models of repeaters.

I think the repeater is a great value, and the service is tremendous. It would be nice if I didn't have to waste time with the broadband compatibility issue and playing with WiFi settings & placement. "

Networking Expert
Baric

CurtisGo18Go wrote:

Thanks Baric.  I dont disdain the idea of bridging, just thought i would explore a true repair to the issue then the alternative.

What is the best device to get if i have my smc bridged?  I have read alot of good reveiws about the Amped Wireless stuff, thoughts on that?

BTW, I appreaciate forums like these where people share their exp[ertiece for people with limitied knowledge in speciffc areas.  Its nice that people spend the time to answer questions and what not.  Thanks!

Since the flaw is in the SMC device and common to all SMCD3GNV gateways, the "true fix" is to get rid of it.  Short of a firmware upgrade (and maybe not even then), there is no way to fix the poor wireless function on this device.

As for the best wireless router to use, that's highly dependent on your own needs.  Any decent wireless router will work since the gateway in bridge mode is nothing but a cable modem/EMTA.  I would personally favor the higher end Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, or Apple devices, leaving Belkin strictly alone.  I would look for a wireless-N dual band router with gigabit ethernet ports.  I'd look for a "media" router as these are usually designed for enhanced throughput.  Some also come with USB ports you can use to attach a printer or storage device.  The Linksys E3200 is nice, the Netgear WNDR series, the upper end of the D-Link DIR-* series, etc.  I personally use an Apple Time Capsule for my wireless network, although my main router is currently an IPCop setup (I like to mess around with things).  I do not have the SMC gateway (I would never allow such a piece of junk near my network), I use a Motorola SB6120 cable modem.

Contributor

A couple of thanks in order here.

comcastlarry - I sent a PM inquiring about putting my router to bridged mode.  Fully expecting a response requesting a myriad of information.  What I got back was - "Your modem is now in Bridge Mode"  no other info needed etc.

So I went to Fry's and bought a Cisco - linksys 4200.  A little expensive but got the cnet reviews on cnet.

Unpacked, hooked up and within 5 minutes everything in my house was online.  From end to end with the new router in my downstairs office, way at the end of my home.

Thanks Baric for the info and what a relief!

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Good to hear things are working, enjoy.

New Visitor
sidpac

Baric,

Just got new comcast service with Dory (SMC) modem.  signal is weak in one area of the house so i tried to use an extra airlink router that i had around the house as a bridge repeater (dd-wrt).  have spent 2 days trying to get it to work but it cannot repeat the dory.  what do you recommend?  i have placed the airlink router next to the dory and the signal is still weak upstairs at the other end of the house.  i have thought about making the SMC a bridge, connect the airlink directly to it and then use an extra linksys router to repeat that signal  (but getting too complicated for my novice skills). 

thanks

adam 

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

That's the best answer, bridge the SMCD3GNV (just call 800-363-2416 and have them do it) and connect the wireless router just like the documented instructions that came with the router.  It's simple and easy and you'll be up in running in 5 minutes on your wireless router.  And if you can flash DD-WRT, you can definitely do this...

New Visitor
Slymn

I also tried to set "repeater bridge" using dd-wrt with SMC. The solutuion was, not disabling the dhcp server on dd-wrt. So, dd-wrt gives ip to the extended wireless clients. 

Networking Expert
Baric

Slymn wrote:

I also tried to set "repeater bridge" using dd-wrt with SMC. The solutuion was, not disabling the dhcp server on dd-wrt. So, dd-wrt gives ip to the extended wireless clients. 

Be very careful when doing this.  While a perfectly valid approach, you have to ensure that the DHCP-managed IP address range on the SMC and on the repeater device do NOT overlap.  By default, the range on the SMCD3GNV is essentially ALL of subnet, typically 10.0.0.2 through 10.0.0.253 or thereabouts.  If the the ranges overlap on the two DHCP servers, then you run the risk of two devices on the same subnet having the SAME IP address and that will lead to problems.  A really good router will see the IP flying around and not try to give it out via DHCP, but I have no zero confidence that the SMC is that good.