Regular Contributor

SSID change

Hello,
I've read the thread on how to secure your wireless network..
Did everything on the list, except changing the SSID name. I've tried and as soon as I do, I lose connectivity instantly.
When I change it back, I get the connection back. Weird.
I save everything on every page if and when it's changed.
Does it have anything to do with one pc being a vista sp1 and one being an xp home sp3?
It's a Belkin G+ mimo router (vista), with a Belkin G usb adapter (xp)  (yeah I went cheap):smileyblush:
It seems secure, except for that one thorn.
I contacted support, they said to try changing the channel and then try changing the SSID name. I haven't tried it for fear of really tempting fate.
My ssid is unticked for broadcasting. Am I missing something, or do many people have this issue?
Thank you for any advice...

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: SSID change

Of course you lost connectivity.  Never make a wireless config change on a wireless connection, always do it via ethernet.  And when you're talking about a non-broadcasting network, your clients all need to know the SSID they want to talk to, since the wireless access point is not broadcasting it. So make the appropriate change in yoru client wireless setup as well.
Regular Contributor

Thanks Baric,

I didn't try to change the congig on the wireless connection, only through the wired one. Even after not broadcasting my network, I'm still able to find the network on the client pc.
I just want to change the ssid name to something more annonymous.
I'm a networking newbie that's learning every day.
Networking Expert
Baric

The reason you can see the SSID even if it's not boradcasting is because there is an explicit definition for that wireless network on the client computer and your computer has requested that network respond so it knows it's there.  When you change the SSID, that network disappears and you don't see the new one because your router is not broadcasting and your client has no definition for the new SSID so it can't ask it to respond.

The solution is to change the definition of the old wireless network on your client to use the new SSID.  Simply go to your wireless connection, right click it and select Properties and then click on the Wireless Networks tab.  Select the old wireless network name under Preferred networks and press the Properties button and change the SSID, then OK out.

I don't have an wireless XP box handy so I can't verify those steps, but I think it's accurate.