New Visitor
rickb317

Samsung Smart TV and Web Access

This is all pretty new to me so this may seem like a silly question. I bought the new Samsung Smart TV that is supposed to have internet access. I followed the instructions in the book to the letter. I have the right USB adapter(Only Samsungs works) and it succesfully connects with the wireless router that my computer and laptop are on but it keeps telling me it can't connect to the internet. Any idea what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you,

Rick

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Samsung Smart TV and Web Access

You need to provide exact details on your router and how its wifi network is configured, as well as the exact network and wireless settings on the TV.  Common problems include no adding the TV's MAC address to the router if MAC restrictions are present, using a proxy setting in the TV, using the wrong or unsupported encryption setting, etc.

Connection Expert
JamesR

The router will have a name or SSID That it will broadcast or transmit so that the tv can see which router it needs to connect to. So, generically, step by step : 1. Open up your browser and browse into the router at 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 (Need Router make and model to be exact) 2. Log in to the Router we page (uid = admin, Password = password or uid = left blank, Password = admin 3. Navigate to the wireless security Tab 4. Make note of Encryption type and the Passphrase 5. Go to the TV and find the SSID being transmitted by your router. 6. Set the TV up so that the encrypt Ion type and passphrase match that of your router
New Visitor
rickb317

Thank you both! Haven't a clue how but last night when I hit the Smart Hub button it asked if a agreed to the Samsung terms. I said yes and then clicked on the browser app and it just started working. the only thing i can think of is turning it off the night before and putting it back on was like having to re-boot a computer for some programs. Thank you both for your time.  I really appreciate it!

rick

Connection Expert
JamesR

You're very welcome.

New Visitor
dgorczyca

I had the exact same problem. The TV was able to see the wireless network, snatch an IP and could not get out to the internet. I tried everything, including Google DNS. Samsung and Comcast both blew me off.

The specific error message was:

"Local connection is completed. But cannot connect to the Internet. Check the DNS setting from Network Setting and contact your Internet service provider to use Internet service."

I took a shot and pulled back the wireless security to WPA2-PSK (TKIP) and that worked. Any level of security above that failed.

I should have known better, as I had a similar issue when trying to get my IPad to connect at a friend's house. I guess there is something as "too much security"...go figure.

Connection Expert
EG

Year and a half old thread now closed.