Contributor
Melissa-S

Samsung smart tv connects to wireless router but not internet

I can connect to my wireless network but the error message I get is:

Connected to your local networknbut cannot connect to the internet.  Check the DNS settings in IP settings or contact your internet service provider to access the internet.

Settings:

1c:5a:3e:4f:f1:e7

Samsung hub version 4.5401-5.0

Please tell me how to get through! 

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Samsung smart tv connects to wireless router but not internet

The first number above is a MACC number.  is your router excluding Devices based on their MAC addresses?

The Second number is the Samsung  IP address. Is that a static IP address? Or, is it an address dynamically obtained from your router?

Is the IP address in the range configured in your router?

Contributor
Melissa-S

Hi James,

Thank you for getting back to me.  I have to tell you that you are speaking greek to me.  I do not know the answers to your questions.  All I know is that everything I hook up (xbox, tablets, smartphones, computers, dvd players) connect to our wireless router and connect to the internet.  No problems at all.  Everything except our samsung smart tv.  It is connecting to our wireless system but not the internet.

Can you walk me through this?

Melissa

Connection Expert
JamesR

These numbers from above seem to be provided by your wireless router.

try this.  Pull the power connector out of the back of the router.

Leave the Router powered down

Turn off the Samsung and then turn it back on.

See if you get the same numberss as above with the Router powered down

Post back here in your thread with the new numbers or lack thereof.

Contributor
Melissa-S

Sorry it has taken me so long. I got frustrated & just left it alone for a while. When I unplug the router & turn off the tv & turn it back on,
The tv cannot see any network, so there are no numbers.
New Visitor
Becky_M

Was there any resolution to this? I'm having the same issue with my Samsung Smart TV.

Contributor
Melissa-S

No, unfortunately I never received a response and I still haven't figured it out. Please let me know if someone helps you.
Connection Expert
JamesR

Melissa-S wrote:
Sorry it has taken me so long. I got frustrated & just left it alone for a while. When I unplug the router & turn off the tv & turn it back on,
The tv cannot see any network, so there are no numbers.

OK, if you get no numbers with router off and do get addresses/numbers with the router on, then the TV is communicating with the router. So it sould be able to pull down netflix etc.  

Have you talked to Samsung Tech Support?

Connection Expert
EG

Split out in to its own thread / topic here on this board as per JamesR request. Click on the above link to follow it.

New Visitor
Rhoda617

Hello, I was trying to find out if your issue got resolved...I am having to same issue and I am ready to return this tv!!! I called comcast and I called samsung there both pointing the finger at each other... Please HELP

New Visitor
dynomeat

It seems like there are some issues with primary Comcast DNS server 75.75.75.75.

After you get message that TV is unable connect to the Internet, please try following:

1. Go to IP Settings menu

2. Set DNS server manually to: 75.75.76.76 (this is alternative Comcast DNS)

New Visitor
Boyblue232323

I had this issue and manually entering the alternative DNS server did the trick. Thanks Dynomeat!
New Visitor

dynomeat wrote:

It seems like there are some issues with primary Comcast DNS server 75.75.75.75.

After you get message that TV is unable connect to the Internet, please try following:

1. Go to IP Settings menu

2. Set DNS server manually to: 75.75.76.76 (this is alternative Comcast DNS)

This solved my issue, thanks!

Contributor
Tablemanors

Did not work for me
Regular Problem Solver

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tablemanors said:

Did not work for me

Did you see a message something like "Connected to your local network but cannot connect to the internet"?

I got a message like that and found that my SmartTV was being blocked in the Gateways Parental Control.

Contributor
Tablemanors

How do I get to the Gateways Parental Control?
Regular Problem Solver

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tablemanors said:

How do I get to the Gateways Parental Control?

I have a Comcast/Arris TG862G Gateway. I logged onto the router.

On the left select "Connected Devices". There are two online devices (connected to Internet):
* Lightning with an Ethernet connection
* Unknown with a WiFi connection

If I click on each device name I see the local IP (IPV4) and hardware (MAC) addresses for that device. The local IP addresses are:
* Lightning with Local IP of 10.0.0.3
* Unknown with Local IP of 10.0.0.9

I know that "Lightning" is this computer and "Unknown" has to be the Samsung SmartTV.

Note that if a device is being blocked it will not be in this list anymore.

On the left select Parental Control and then Managed Devices. For "Managed Devices" select "Enabled" and "Access Type" select "Allow All". All devices should be allowed access except those added as a device to block.

You can also go down to Reports and select Generate Reports for the last week or month to see if anything was blocked recently.

I no longer have the original entry when the Samsung SmartTV was blocked a few months ago but I recreated this by on purposely causing it to be blocked by Parental Control last week. Here is one of the Report entries:

TCP Packet - Source:10.0.0.9,51714 Destination:74.125.6.147,80, 13:02:18, 2013-10-28

This entry showed that a device with address 10.0.0.9 was blocked on October 28, 2013 at 1:02PM CST. I know that 10.0.0.9 was a WiFi device which had to be the Samsung SmartTV.

As long as the Samsung SmartTV was being blocked in Parental Control it could not connect to the Internet. Once I removed the block the Samsung SmartTV could connect to the Internet just fine.

Note Parental Control settings are only one of the things that can stop a devices connecting to Internet. There is no guarentee that it is cause of the problem in your case.

New Visitor
sjaecee

I am having the same troubles as above. New samsung smart tv wont connect. tried all the tricks mentioned, but still nothing. It says connected to wireless network, but can not connect to internet. all the other wireless devices in the house work fine. so frustrated.

Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

The message said "connected to wireless network" means the SmartTV was connecting to the Comcast gateway all right. The "can not connect to internet." part meant that is was being blocked from the internet for some reason.

Did you log onto the gateway and check the reports to see if anything was being blocked? The best time to do this is right after you get the "connected to wireless network, but can not connect to internet" message. That way you can more easily match the times in the reports with when you got this message on the SmartTV.

New Visitor
sjaecee

Yes, i did that. nothing is being blocked.....in fact, no reports at all.  I do see an 'unknown  device" with a matching number listed on the "connected device" list.  Samsung tech support gave up on me. :smileysad:

Connection Expert
JamesR

Did you log in to the router, navigate to Parental controls and unblock all devices there?

Regular Problem Solver

In "Connected Devices" I see:

Online Devices

Host Name  DHCP/Reserved IP  Connection

Lightning  DHCP              Ethernet

UNKNOWN    DHCP              WiFi

Clicking on each I find that the IP Addresses are:

Lightning     = 10.0.0.2

UNKNOWN = 10.0.0.4

I know that UNKNOWN is my Samsung SmartTV because it is the only thing connected with WiFi right now. As long as I see it in "Connected Devices" list I know that it will work on the internet.

If I go into Parental Controls and on purposely block it the UNKNOWN entry in "Connected Devices" will disappear. If I try my SmartTV it will not be able to connect to the internet.

If I go back and unblock the UNKNOWN device the entry will return to the "Connected Devices". If I try my SmartTV it will be able to connect to the internet again.

New Visitor
sjaecee

yes, nothing is blocked..... I did try a lan cable too.... bought a 75'..... same problem.

New Visitor
sjaecee

I would have thought that too for our problem.   But when I see it on the connected devices (and I am sure that is the new smart tv), it will still not connect to the internet.  It does connect to the router, it even says it does, but then says unable to connect to internet.

Regular Problem Solver

The SmartTV wireless network configuration has a WPS selection. Once you select that you have to go to the Comcast gateway and push the WPS button. The configuration should finish automatically. Have you tried that? If you do it this way do get the same error message?

New Visitor
sjaecee

I have tried that, and it did not work.  In fact, it did not find the router when I used the wps button. It may be that my router is at the opposite end of the house.Thanks for the idea though.:smileyhappy:

Contributor
Melissa-S

Comcast sent out new routers/modems a few months ago. I was able to replace my Comcast modem and my personal router with it. I was able to connect all the way through to the internet immediately.
New Visitor
sjaecee

Thank you Melissa, yes, those were the Gateway modems I believe, that serve as modem, router, etc... I have one.

New Visitor
sjaecee

also, one more bit of info.... i was easily able to connect the wii to the wireless internet last night too.... in the same room as the dumb smart tv...... so I am pretty sure now it is not an internet problem or wireless network issue.  It has to be the tv... thanks all for the ideas.... will let you know if it gets resolved..

New Visitor
sjaecee

Ok--- RESOLUTION... finally!!  After a week of trying everything,and both Samsung and Comcast blaming each other....  comcast was positive  our wireless network was fine, we rebooted the router, etc, etc..   then someone suggested taking the wireless Gateway back to comcast and exchanging it.  So we did, for a different model, still a "Gateway 1", but a new model.  and it worked the first time.  Whew. Thanks all for your ideas!!!

Contributor
Tablemanors

I was havingp the same problems , nothing worked. I called retailer where set was purchased and thry installed updatted software and the connection was made to the internet. Still have a rather week signal . But an extender has helped some.
New Visitor

I too have this problem with a twist. The TV keeps dropping the internet and displaying the message "you are connect to you router but not the internet.  Ijust have to wait for it to come back on. Neddly to say, this is not acceptabel and am about to return the TV. I do not have  a wireless gateway from Comcast not can I rest the DNS from the TV. It is greyed out. Any suggestions?

New Visitor
a__b

Tried for few routers - still the same problem.

Any fresh ideas?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Those addresses look good to me.

Can you change the DNS servier from 75.75.75.75 to 75.75.76.76 ?

New Visitor
a__b

[ Edited ]

I'm courious: What kind of problem manual DNS supposed to address?

IMHO we have few groups of different acessability problems, so would be helpful to isolate them.

First of all I'd love to better understand where this problem appears based on OSI model http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model . My current guesses are too wide: from physical to application.

Thanks!

New Visitor
ms5555

SOLUTION

I've been dealing with this for hours (opening ports, resetting the TV, and more), and slapped myself when I accidentally found the solution.

Simply give your modem a "hard reset".  You can usually do this by holding the button on the back of the modem for 30 seconds.  If you don't know how to do this, then call your ISP (Comcast, etc.), and they'll do it for you over the cable line.  

I have a Panasonic TV, and now everything works fine.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Excellent! Glad you worked it out.

New Visitor
tckipfe

All,

Thought I would share my experience and finally success in logging my new Smart TV into the internet via wireless connection.

I have my own linksys router connected to the comcast modem.  I to got the connected to router but not Internet.

I had two setups for my router. Direct setup which required WIFI protected setup and I had a Guest connection setup that was passworded.

I could not connect to the router via direct WIFI setup but could through the Guest connection. However the guest connection would not connect to the Internet. May be because the guest setup had a password on it that I could not remove and the Samsung would not prompt for the connection.

How I finally fixed this through the following.

Through the network setup screens in the TV, I chose WPS setup and the screen came back saying you have 2 min to push the button on the router .. well, there was not button on the router so I logged into the admin for the router on my desktop PC.

Under Setup, Basic Wireless setting in the router admin screens, I pushed:

Use one of the following for each Wi-Fi Protected Setup supported device:

1. If your client device has a Wi-Fi Protected Setup button, click or press that button, and then click the button on the right. 

I pushed this button and the Router went out and found the Samsung TV. Surprise, the router found the TV broadcasting it's id and my router authrized it.

I was then able to configure the Samsung TV via the non guest setup connection and it connected to the router and Internet.

It is now working with Internet wireless connection.  

The TV is separated from the wireless router 100 feet or so. Opposite corners of the house. So router does not need to be within 20 feet of the TV.

Anyway .. that is how I solved the problem.  Hope this helps others in the future.

Tim

New Visitor
Scott011

Having same problem as all others. When you say "log onto router" how is that done? Maybe the parental controls is my issue.
New Visitor
tckipfe

Routers have their own IP .. example .. http://192.168.1.1/  ... if you type this into your browser or whatever or corresponding IP is for your router .. you should reach a login prompt for admin user and pw .. you will need to pull you router manual user guide for information on how to access via your browser and how to maintain configurations in the router.  Good Luck.

New Visitor
Scott011

Really appreciate that, tckipfe. I'm not technologically savvy and this helps. I don't have a manual user guide for the router since it came from Comcast but I'm hopeful I can figure it out from here. Thanks again.
New Visitor
rwroyal

I'd like to share my experience with my Samsung TV. I was having the same issue, it connected to the router but could not get to the net. I read the message boards and tried just about everything suggested. Nothing seemed to work. As a last resort I decided to try changing the gateway channel from 1 to 6 as suggested on another message board. This option did not get me excited as it seemed to simple to work, but it did. I was immediately able to connect all the way to the internet. At my house we have anywhere from 3 to 8 devices trying to access the Internet at once. As an ancillary benefit all of the devices seem to be connecting quicker and with a more stable connection. I would highly recommend trying this option before anything else. If it doesn't work for you it's easy to change back.
New Visitor
Ruby75

I am having the same problem with my smart tv. Samsung smart tv/blu-ray dvd does not like the security settings from the router. If I take out the security everything works.

I spoke with Samsung and they are working to fix the problen.

New Visitor
jusgr8

So after reading literally hundreds of posts on this topic that go back almost a year it’s become quite apparent that this issues is not going to get fixed. Some Lucky people have been able to connect by changing their Wi-Fi channel others have found their TV in the blocked list under parental controls. I've tried all these tricks to no avail. I've turned off all managed sites and devices in parental controls as well as allowing all devices, I've tried every channel, and totally disabled the routers firewall even set my TV to a DMZ. Nothing has worked. I do have another Samsung Smart TV hooked up via LAN that works fine but neither Samsung TV will connect through Wi-Fi. So I my guess the only thing to do is purchase a Wi-Fi router and have my Arris TG862 put into bridge mode. I sure hope this will work.

New Visitor

rwroyal:

I'm not a tech person -how do you change the gateway channel from 1 to 6?

Thanks

New Visitor

I had the same problem with my new Samsung UN55FH6200 smart tv.  Even though I have several other devices connected through my Motorola modem and Netgear router, both wired and wireless, I was unable to connect to the internet with the TV, having all the same symptms and getting the same error messages. I have followed this thread and tried many of the suggested fixes--rebooting modem and router, parental controls, changing DNS, etc. all to no avail.  At the suggestion of one post I finally decided to change my wireless channel, even though I could not see how that would affect the internet connection. One of my wireless devices is a Kindle with an app that displays the wireless channels active in my vicinity.  I found I was sharing channel 11 with a few other users.

I logged into my router and changed the channel assignment from Auto to Manual and then manually set the channel to an unused channel (channel 3, in my case). Voila! Everything worked -- I was able to access the internet, update the Samsung software, download Samsung apps and stream Netflix.

I think the basic problem in my case was simply channel interference from nearby users.  BTW, there is nothing magical about Channels 11, 3, 1 or 6. Just find an unused channel.  Hope this helps.

New Visitor
rwroyal

I have the Internet Modem: Comcast/Arris TG862G Gateway

I ended up changing the channel on my WiFi

Changing it to channel 6 made the world of difference.

To go there you have to log into your modem settings :

once there use the dropdown menus and

Click  Connection > Wifi

Once there choose to edit your Wifi network with the “edit button

You will see:

Gateway > Connection > Wireless > Edit 2.4 GHz  on top then you're

able to change Channel Selection to “manual”.

The default setting is “1”  select  “6”  this is what fixed my connection.

I Hope that helps.

New Visitor
rwroyal

If you go into your Comcast account and wander around the "services and equipment" area you can download a user manual for your device
New Visitor
rwroyal

This is how I accessed my modem settings: at the top of your screen where the name of the website you are visiting goes, type in the modem address in this format: http://10.0.0.1. This will take you to the modem login screen. You can log in to your Comcast modem using "admin" as the user name and "password" as the password it will ask for "SSID" and a "Network Key" this information can be found on the bottom of your device. I hope this helps
New Visitor

rwroyal - thanks - I was able to change the channel - but it didn't solve my problem.

What did  work was disabling all devices on the network except for the TV.  Was able to connect to Netflix quickly, no hiccups in the connection like I always seem to get.  I have several devices that are typically always connected - my work laptop, my network printer, my iPhone, and maybe my wife's iPhone and laptop.  When I reconnected my iPhone to the wifi, the TV stayed connected with no problems.  When I reconnected my laptop, the TV disconnected from the network.  While I seem to have found a way to make it work, it isn't very convenient to shut off otehr devices.  Any suggestions from others would be helpful.  FYI I'm using an Arris router (for internet and phone) - it is about 2 years old - could there me more recent models I should trade in for at Comcast?