New Visitor
lostinamaze

Set up secure wireless router...ARRIS Router

I have a new comcast router.. ARRIS and somehow I could not connect new devices to the system. I was inputting what I had set up with the comcast installer as the SSID and the password or network key. Neither was working. I went online and research and found that it could be changed by someone. I wanted to reconfigure the network key and did so but now I'm not sure if my system is indeed protected since I limited experience. I now have to set up all of my other devices again. I also noticed that one of the wireless connections listed is my old cable box so named which was never there before since I got the new box. Can someone explain how this could be? I had to hardwire to the router just to get internet to figure this out. Has anyone else had trouble working with this new router without comcast assistance? I just want to make sure that my system is the only system listed on the wireless list and that it is indeed secure for just my use.

Visitor

Re: Set up secure wireless router...ARRIS Router

I forgot my password on my router and now I cannot add another system to my home (specifically an iPad).  I cannot find information as to how to reset the password unless you know your current password.   Does anyone know how to reset password?   I have an Arris Router from Comcast and the router was installed in November of 2011.

Thank you,

Barbara

Connection Expert
JamesR

Welcome to the Forum, Sorry you are having difficulty.

Three things:

1. If Comcast installed the Router then you might call in to Comcast Tech support and ask them what the UID and Pawwword was set to.
  2. You can look on the Back of the Router to find the Default User ID and Password and Try to Browse and look at the Wirelewss Passphrase in the Wireless Security Tab.
  3. You can Reset the Router to Factory Default and Reconfigure it using the steps in the Link below.

How-to-Secure-a-Wireless-Router

Please post back with results and questions.

New Visitor
lostinamaze

Called comcast and they connected me to the wireless department which if I accept their help I have to pay an additional charge. It seems that since they have outsourced the wireless portion they will no longer help for free even though they set it up. I tried using the default ID's on the system but this did not work. So I had to search forums for help. I am sorely disappointed in the lack of help that I got from comcast. I called back at least 3 times and I was transferred to a pay service each time. I left Verizon because of bad customer service and now it appears that this has become industry standard.