New Visitor
darwil

Setting up Bridge mode Arris TG862G/CT

Hi, I need help trying to set up bridgemode

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Setting up Bridge mode Arris TG862G/CT

[ Edited ]

An end user can't do it. You need to call in and they do it remotely.

Try using this number to reach the people who do this all the time; XXXXXXXX

Be advised that we have been seeing posts here lately indicating excessively long wait times at that number.

[Edited to remove a no longer working number.]

Contributor
fbara

EG is correct, I just did this on Saturday.  I called the number and the rep knew exactly what I was looking for.  

She made a change on her end and the wifi light on my Arris went off.  To be safe, I rebooted my router and computer.  When everything came back up my Asus router was getting an external IP and everything worked as expected.

When I called, it was late in the evening so my wait time was only about 12 minutes.  You might want to call during off-hours, if possible.

Frank

Official Employee
ComcastMattV

Have you gotten this taken care of? IF not please personal message me the phone number or account number and I can take care of this for you.

Thank you

Comcastmattv
Visitor

I just called to have my gateway put in Bridge mode and they wanted me to pay $79 one time fee or $9.99 a month for additional tech support coverage!  Did they charge you this fee as well?

Contributor
fbara

[ Edited ]

No, I didn't get charged.  Try playing CSR-roulette or PM'ing ComcastMattV.

New Visitor

I want to do the same thing but I really don't need the gateway anyway since I only signed up for the voice package because it was cheaper.  I do not have a phone plugged into it.  My question is, would using it as a bridge give me better reception in the upstairs bedrooms than just hooking up my own, better router?  Or is this a good router with terrible range?  The old modem I surrendered never dropped the internet upstairs and this one does constantly.  It also drops around 10:30 everynight like clockwork.  Before I signed up for the package, I had just bought a Motorola Surfboard SB5101U cable modem and Netgear N600 router because i would also like to stop paying the rental fees for a router and modem that cost about $40 each to buy.  Which way should I go for better range upstairs?  I would keep the rental fee if using it as a bridge would do that.  Thanks

Contributor
fbara

Changing it to a bridge won't affect the wireless range.

I've never had that router so I can't speak for the range but I doubt doing anything, apart from moving it closer updstairs, would dramatically increase the range.  If it only has internal antennaes you're limited as to the range.

If running an ethernet cable is not possible, the best choice, try a powerline adapter.  That might increase your speed a bit.  I had one of those to bring the internet signal from my basement to my second floor.  It was only marginally better than my wireless G, but it was still better!

My Asus RT-N66U has 3 external antennaes and I get great 2.4GHz N signal on my second floor.  When you're trying to throw a wifi signal through walls and floors, you're going to get some significant degredation. 

I also noticed the N600 is a dual-band router.  The 5GHz signal has less interference but it doesn't travel through walls and floors well.  If you're using that band try changing to the 2.4GHz and see if that improves it.

Frank

New Visitor
gr8well

Matt, please help me!  I need to convert my comcast Arris router to bridge so I don't have a double NAT problem with my Airport Extreme sitting behind it.

thx!

Eric 

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

EG described how to get Comcast to put that modem into bridge mode in this thread:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Re-ARRIS-TG862/m-p/1558991#U1558991

New Visitor

Thanks, Frank.  I am going to have someone move my equipment closer.

Visitor
KB2013

i have a similar situation.  first, the phone number in the post no longer works, so before i start another frustrating day of being transferred to 24 more departments filled with folks with no clue, i need to see if putting the modem in bridge mode will actually solve my issue.

i'm trying to set up my sony tv to wirelessly connect to my home network.  there is no problem doing it via the lan cable, but when i try to do so wirelessly, it ways the bridge isn't recognized.  if i understand the thread correctly, the process involves taking the modem out of wi-fi mode and into bridge mode.  i don't have any other modem/router, so if they do figure out how to change it to bridge mode, does that mean i can no longer connect my other devices (laptop, phone, ipad) via wifi? 

any help appreciated!

Contributor
fbara

Yes, you can't use it as a wireless router if it's in bridge mode.  Do yourself a favor and purchase a better wifi router.  I use the Asus RT-N66U.

New Visitor
irish20sta

Matt,

How do I personal message you.

John

New Visitor
irish20sta

Matt,

I figured out how to send you a personal message, and sent you the account number.

John.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been on the phone all day with Comcast and nobody can figure out how to do this.  They tell me this:

"We are getting this error code: 9012"

Then they send me off to "gateway support". 

And surprise, they have no clue what I'm talking about.

This is such a simple g0ddamn settings toggle.  6 HOURS I've been on the phone/chat with agents.  Nobody has a clue.  I've been sent to 8 diffent people.  Why does such a simple thing take jumping through 20 hoops?

New Visitor
irish20sta

I used the online chat option and they completed the action in about 10-15 min. Good luck.
Contributor

I've been in 5 online chats today.  They always seem to hit a brick wall with a diffrent problem.  The latest being the error code I mentioned.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

This post was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (language filter circumvention). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Contributor

[ Edited ]

So gateway support tells me they need to send someone out to my house.  And that could cost $79.00

They say they can't change the MAC adress remotly to bridge it.

Anyone have a clue why this is?  Tons of people online make this seem like a simple chat with comcast and everything works perfect.  Why would they need to send someone out to my house for this?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can anyone around here who works for Comcast help me out?

Seems like people know whats going on around here a little more than the phone/chat agents.

New Visitor
nixchick

I just got this modem, set it up last night, took me 5 seconds to plug everything in.  Took me over 30 minutes on the phone to activate the internet connection and the phone.

On the bottom of this modem is a sticker, placed there by comcast, showing the SSID name for your new wifi network along with a WEP key, or password to log in. Comcast has this info, and can access your network (all computers set up on this modem) at any time. FYI.  Be careful, all the private financial info you keep, medical info, etc. can be accessed by Comcast. When I got the modem activated, they asked me if my computer was plugged in to the modem. They couldn't access it. Told them the router was plugged in.

I do have a question. I've been told by a friend to get my own modem and have comcast provision it for a one time fee, so I don't have to rent it. It appears some of you have done that, is it true? Do I need to get any certain kind/ type? I appreciate any info regarding this. Every little bit of $ saved helps.

Connection Expert
EG

nixchick wrote:

Be careful, all the private financial info you keep, medical info, etc. can be accessed by Comcast. 

FWIW, THAT IS NOT SO...........

Bronze Star Contributor
Yyrkoon777

There is no 1 time fee to provision a customer owned modem.  And enabeling bridge mode takes 1 click and about 1-2 minutes normally. If your Dory will not go into bridge mode I would suggest swapping it at a Comcast location. 

Visitor
jwski

I need help with Bridge Mode for the Arris TG862G/CT...  I called in to Comcast and asked to have the wireless part of the modem disabled so that I could connect my Apple Extreme router and extend it with another Apple WiFi router.  Apparently, the Comcast agent never did it correctly because I now can see the an "open" Xfinity signal available, as well as my old network "name" being transmitted from the modem.  What do I have to tell the Comcast agent in order to have the modem WiFi function disabled?

Thx

Visitor
jwski

I just got off the phone with Phil, at Comcast, and the main problem (issue) with putting the modem into Bridge Mode is that 3 of the 4 ethernet ports on the back of the modem are disabled... we determined, thru trial and error, that only port #2 was enabled on my modem after putting it into Bridge.... thus you must use that active port only when connecting the modem to your router....

Connection Expert
EG

jwski wrote:

we determined, thru trial and error, that only port #2 was enabled on my modem after putting it into Bridge.... thus you must use that active port only when connecting the modem to your router....

Hmmm... It's typically port # 1..

New Visitor
vpofusa

I was able to get mine bridged mode by following this guys steps:

http://itswapshop.com/forums/how-do-you-put-comcast-xfinity-arris-tg862gct-full-bridge-mode

Connection Expert
EG

Eleven month old thread now closed.