New Visitor

Setting up Google Chromecast

I installed Google Chromecast.  It sees my router but could not access the internet.  I Googled it and found that Comcast blocks UPNP Multicast packets on th SMCD3GNV router. I contacted tech support and they had no idea what I was talking about.  They just said that if I am able to get to the internet that's as far as they support.  Pretty sad.  But they're willing to take my payment every month.  Does anyone know who I can email (2nd tier) to get an intelligent answer or what the fix might be?  Thanks. george.minasian@comcast

Regular Contributor
alfnator

Re: Setting up Google Chromecast

[ Edited ]

FWIW, I have 2 google chromecast devices in my house and they both can access the internet via comcast. I can use apps (netflix,pandora,youtube) or the google chrome extension from my pc to send signal to the device.  Note the install for me on both devices took some finagling but the issues where with chromecast and not with any comcast configurations. Try rebooting the router and the chromecast devices after install.

Also from my understanding and from what I have seen using chromecast:

The closer the chromecast device is to the router the better its for streaming from apps (netflix,pandora,youtube). The apps send the url to the chrome device and the chrome device uses the url to directly stream to the tv. Hence you are able to turn off those apps and still play on your tv

When streaming from PC using the chrome extension the PC should have an excellent signal to the wifi and the device should be close to the PC. My understanding when streaming video this way the browser on your PC transcodes the video and the stream is actually running from your pc and instead of the chrome device.

New Visitor
ronkrz

What type of router do you have? Wondering if chromecast will work with a linksys?

New Visitor
wkmorin

Having the same problem w/chromecast and comcast as the first post. We've finagled and finagled (including rebooting/factory setting defaults, reloading chromecast app) and are totally frustrated. What do you mean by the Google chrome extension? Right now ready to try anything!
New Visitor
RichardBI

I had the same isues but after the Chromecast connection to the router (I added the MAC address as a known device) it did an Cromecast update.  Now it works fine from my windows 8 laptop - BUT all my other connected wifi devices are now disconnected.  I had to remove Chromecast from the HDMI connection, turn off the power to the device, and reboot the Comcast modem to get wireles back on.

VERY strange - anyone have any ideas??

New Visitor
rockertom7

i still can't connect my chromecast to comcast and tech support acts like chromecast is a myth or something.  feel like i'm telling them i saw Bigfoot and they just humor me.   i also added the mac address as a known device and took my service down.  did disconnecting the chromecast help at all?   i'm at a loss.  seemed like a cool device but i'm probably going to have to return at this point

New Visitor
RichardBI

Once unplugged and the power adapter removed from the Chromecast device, then reboot the Comcast modem  (pull the power cord - and battery if installed).  That will reset it, keeping your settings and the wireless will work just fine - at least mine did.

New Visitor
Andi-Talks

Thank you, forum contributors.  I was considering purchasing Chromecast, but wisely decided to read the forum discussion.  Glad I did.  Now I will not purchase Chromecast...too difficult to install.

Networking Expert
kevj

Andi-Talks wrote:

Thank you, forum contributors.  I was considering purchasing Chromecast, but wisely decided to read the forum discussion.  Glad I did.  Now I will not purchase Chromecast...too difficult to install.

They are a piece of cake to install and use if you use your own router, and not the Comcast gateways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

New Visitor
Sgt_Sanity

Resetting the modem, then the chromecast worked for me. 

New Visitor
mistymu

After ripping my hair out trying to attach Chromecast to my network, I wanted to post this to help others.   I followed all the support data on the support site stopping short at calling Xfinity (Comcast) because quite honestly, I did not want to sit for hours waiting or getting someone who knew less than me.

First, I have an ARRIS TC682 modem/router from Xfinity.  I could not get Chromecast to recognize the network so even after resetting the moden several times.   I kept getting the uh-oh somethign is wrong message.  I checked the router to be sure the plug and play was there and I tried to "discover" the Chromecast.  No luck. 

Second, I decided to add the Chromecast to the router manually be entering the MAC address.  I thought this is the first step, then if this didn't work I was goign to assign a permanent IP address.

Third, I tried a TV closest to the router and viola!  It connected.  Then I took it to another TV and it connected with no issues.   Then I went to the back of the house to the TV I really wanted it for, and no connection or a limited one.  So --- signal strength has a lot to do with Chromecasts ability to communicate with your network.   My iPad, cell phone and Samsung tablet all get a signal but it is a weak one and you watch the little indicator swirl around trying to establish a connection.  However, once I was able to complete the setup using the TV closeset to the router, I was able to move Chromecast to where I wanted.

I went to Amazon and bought an extender.  Funny, you know how Amazon has that "here is what others are buying" statement?  Well it appears "others" are buying extenders along with Chromecast.

I did not assign a permanent IP address -- that was going to be my last attempt and if that didn't work I was going to go get a modem/router I could work with.  Thankfully I did not have to do that.

I fired up Chromecast and NetFlix -- works like a charm!  I had to wait for the weak connection but everything worked.  Once the extender comes I am sure the signal in the back will no longer be an issue.

Hoping this helps others. 

New Visitor
GreatlyDissatis

Alfnator:  I'm surprised you were able to get this to work.  I've followed this issue and it seems the problem is with the Arris TG series routers that Comcast provides.  Which modem/router do you have?

New Visitor
GreatlyDissatis

The Chromecast extension to the Chrome browser lets your TV show content that is either showing on the browser or controlled from the browser.  You can get it at https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3212008?hl=en

That link will explain more.

However, it will not work unless the Chromecast device on the TV can connect with your wireless router and many are having difficulty with that when using the Comcast Arris TG series router.

New Visitor
mistymu

I received the extender I ordered from Amazon. I connected it in the bathroom, which is halfway between the office, where the modem/router is, and the room I want to run Chromecast in. It worked wonderfully. All my devices connect immediately, no more watching the "spinning wheel." Chromecast connects every time and streaming from the iPad is great! Get an extender, it will save aggravation.
New Visitor
fredinhome

I just switched from att to comcast and now have this issue (note: no extra work to get ATT ap to work).

New Visitor
fredinhome

using the Arris TG router I can occasionally get chromecast to connect immediately after restting the modem, but it will lose the connection after an hour or so.

I can also get the chromecast to connect if it's within ten feet of the router.

using att 2Wire (which had less signal strength) i could get cromecast to work anywhere in my home.

I believe GreatlyDissatis

New Visitor
Tlewis3903

I too have the SMCD3GNV router from Comcast and I just threw in the towel after trying to get the Chromecast I bought tonight to work after three hours. I rebooted and reset, enabled unpn, and every other suggestion I could find online and still nothing-it can't connect to my wireless network. It keeps telling me to check network settings and try again. I'll call comcast tomorrow but I'm not expecting much help.
New Visitor

I have the same problem with comcast internet.  Verizon Fios does not have this problem.  If I cannot  connect Chromecast to Comcast, I will change to Verizon.

Regular Contributor

@kevj,

which router do you recommend?  I am looking for one now.

Someone changed the password on my router, so I cannot give it instructions (I think).

Anyway, I have had no luck so far with a router that is in the living room.

More than 10 feet away frome my bedroom TV.

Thanks for any help.

Networking Expert
kevj

snowstorms wrote:

@kevj,

which router do you recommend?  I am looking for one now.

Someone changed the password on my router, so I cannot give it instructions (I think).

Anyway, I have had no luck so far with a router that is in the living room.

More than 10 feet away frome my bedroom TV.

Thanks for any help.

Do you hve a modem? You will still need one, even if you buy your own router. You can either contact Comcast via Live Chat and have them put the gateway in bridge mode, or go buy your own modem. It seems to be dificult to get a straight modem from Comcast anymore...

If you use Comcast phone service, you will need an eMTA, not just a straight cable modem, and you will need to check with your local Comcast office, to see if they allow customer owned eMTAs. Some markets don't.

The list of approved modems/eMTAs is here http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net

When it comes to a router, there are plenty to choose from, but in most cases, you get what you pay for, so don't scrimp. That being said, you can probably get one that will do the job for around $75 to $100. The most reputable and well known consumer routers are made by Asus, Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys (although Linksys were recently acquired from Cisco by Belkin, who had a less than stellar reputation).

You'll undoubtedly get more responses to this question, with people touting their own favorite hardware, but my approach is to give you some general gudelines, and let you do the research yourself...you'll probably learn something along the way.

Most wireless routers now are Wireless-N compatible..don't go for any older technology that that. AC is the latest wifi technology on the market, so those routers tend to be expensive still, and you would only behefit from them if you have devices that are also AC capable. It's the wave of the future, but not everyone is ready for it yet.

Personally, I use an Asus AC-RT68R. Pricey, but so far it has been a solid decision. I'm not necessarily recommending it, as I say. Just letting you know it has been worth the price TOO ME. You should buy what you feel will do the job for you.

Help us to help you!!

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Regular Contributor

Thanks kevj!

I have Comcast as my ISP (obviously) and all my services are through Comcast.

After saying that, I will have to get more information about my devices before I invest another chunk of change.

You are absolutely right about learning something. :smileyhappy:

Many years ago, I used to do some communications (Army style).

I am starting to recognize the words.  LOL  This will be interesting, and I will be educated.

Beth

Networking Expert
kevj

If you get stuck stop back and we will see if we can help out some more...

Help us to help you!!

New Visitor
pcskibunny

I have xfinity wifi and cannot get through the final step! HELP>

New Visitor
BeachUser

I had initial difficulties, but after trying my different wifi networks, Chromecast downloaded updates (took quite some time) and then worked.  Made no changes to router.  Network I finally used is Apple router with Netgear range entender.  I did phone Comcast tech support, but they were unfamiliar with Chromecast despite trying very hard to be helpful.