Visitor
dmbmartin12

Slingbox with SMCD3GNV - New Xfinity gateway

I was installed with a new SMC SMCD3GNV gateway in February and have not been able to connect my slingbox since. I have attempted all of the troubleshooting steps provided by Slingbox for port forwarding and such, however the slingbox does not show up as a connected device within the gateway setup page in order to assign a static IP and forward 5001 to it. The only way I have been able to get any connectivity within the local network is to hook up an old linksys router in between the gateway and the slingbox, assign the static IP and forward the port to the router and then do the same within the Linksys. I can now connect locally, but am unable to connect remotely.

Has anyone else had this problem or have an idea on how to fix it?

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Slingbox with SMCD3GNV - New Xfinity gateway

The SMCD3GNV is garbage.  I recommend you get rid of it or at the very least have it placed in bridge mode by the gateway support folks at 800-363-2416.  Then use your own router.

New Visitor

Having same problem. Tech was supposed to connect 4 devices and didn't do any Now Comcast wants me to sign up for signature service and pay to have them help configure the device
Networking Expert
Baric

Just bridge it and get your own router.  No need to pay Comcast for "extra" support.

New Visitor
patmac531

I had my modem placed into bridge mode but I am still unable to connect to my slingbox.  Anyone else figure out how to fix it using this method?

Email Expert

[ Edited ]

You need to enable UPnP or configure port forwarding on your router. Did you do this? If you're not sure how to do it, let us know what kind of router you have and we can advise you. Or see this page at Slingbox support:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/network-assistant.html

Visitor
teeitupmo

I use a Slingbox Pro HD connected to my a new Xfinity - Arris TG86Z modem/router/voice device. The SlingBox was a peace a cake to setup. Just used the web interface setup and it was done in about 5min. What exactly is happening?

New Visitor
joebutch

The tech who installed the smcd3gnv never mentioned it was a modem/router so I kept thinking it was something with my router and the slingbox when it came to internet viewing. after reading these posts I called comcast and the tech on the phone was able to change the smcd3gnv to bridge mode. after that I went through the slingbox set up for remote viewing and it worked the first time.

New Visitor
Darkoman

okay I don't know if you already found the solution to your problem but this is exactly what I did. You have to go into settings Of your router, click on advanced, than port forwarding. There you will click on add service. In new winow you will click on a little arrow that says AIM and change it to Other, than you will enter "slingbox" in the Other service field, than you will keep TPC/UDP in Service Type field. You will enter IP address for slingbox that slingbox tutorial gave you. Finally you will enter 5001 in both Port fields and hit save. That's it. You are done.
Contributor

How do you enable the UPnP though?

New Visitor
Darkoman

[ Edited ]
For UPnP go to advanced, than Device discovery and enable UPnP.
Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Darkoman wrote:
For UPnP go to advanced, than Device discovery and enable UPnP.

Yep, what he said ;-)

If you are unsure where to go to follow these instructions, point your browser at http://10.0.0.1 and log in.  The default userid is "admin" and the default password is "password"

New Visitor
Crystal67

I followed these instructions to try to set up my slingbox, but I get an error message saying Different Subnet DUT LAN IP ???? advice?

Networking Expert
Baric

Crystal67 wrote:

I followed these instructions to try to set up my slingbox, but I get an error message saying Different Subnet DUT LAN IP ???? advice?

Not without more specific information.  What IP does the Slingbox have?  If you assigned it manually/staticly, then make sure it is not used by something else on your network.  From the brief incomplete and mispelled error you posted, it sounds like you have assigned an already used address.

New Visitor
Crystal67

Sorry, I mispelled it, I was trying to type it from memory because I couldn't see the error message while on the comcast help page.  I didn't assign the IP to the slingbox that I can recall but it is assigned to Public IP 97.121.144.220; Private IP 192.1682.254

New Visitor
Grundel76

I have your exact same set up.  Slingbox HD and the Arris TG862.  I have everything set up through the Arris (ie. Slingbox connected to the the first ethernet port and my computer set up to the second port).  I can watch video and everything when connected via LAN, but when I jump on my wireless network - set up through an entirely different modem and router, my slingbox isn't recognized as connected.  

I have port forwarding enabled and static IP set up.  The modem/router setup says 2 computers connected but only one shows recognized.  On the back of the modem, got a yellow and orange light for the slingbox ethernet connection, but a yellow and green for my computer.  Any help would be great.

Visitor
teeitupmo

The Slingbox is connected to the Arris Modem/Router, which is behind the built in Firewall, that's why you cant see the Slingbox using the other Router using WIFI.

Even though that 2nd router is connected to a port on the Arris.

Why do you need two routers to connect to Slingbox? Once it's configured, just use watch.slingbox.com for Internet viewing anywhere.

The only time you need the PC/Laptop to see the Slingbox, is for configuration purposes.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Visitor
dmbmartin12

My apologies for taking so long to get back to this. I just wanted to update everyone on where I'm at.

At the recommendation of, well, everyone, I had the gateway placed into bridge mode and attempted to set up my Sling first through an old Linksys G router (which was what I used before)  and then a Belkin N router, neither were successful. I then tried to do a local connection through both routers on their own (no internet connection) and am running into the same things. I can connect to the Sling for about 15 seconds at a time and then it looses connection. I called SlingMedia today and the rep seemed confident shed be able to get the unit running for the $30 fee (which I am still trying to avoid).

New Visitor
Timbuk3

The problem isn't with the router. Your slingbox needs to be reset so your new router can set a new static IP address for it.

http://support.slingbox.com/get/kb-1000038.html

I'm using the same router and after the reset everything is working fine.